Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 29, 2024, 04:27:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skills in validation  (Read 344 times)
Elysek
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Living together

« on: August 17, 2020, 10:19:34 AM »

I have to begin by saying my daughter has been dx with BPD, but it my partner & I who are on the brink of ending our relationship.
I do feel there are similarities between the two, but he has never been diagnosed. I am 66 yo straight female. We have been living together 3 yrs.  He has recently expressed outrage, & much turmoil Due to my frequent invalidation of his feelings.

I know that this is a behavior I am guilty of. Years of living with my daughter, trying to get her to see things from a different perspective apparently was the wrong thing to do & it is a habitual & easy “go to” for me.  Add to that very strong defense mechanisms of my own...
Well ruhro...
I would characterize my partner as a hair trigger & me as a dull tool when encountering life situations.  So to validate his responses
Seems beyond difficult with any authenticity.
I am afraid that I will not be able to adopt new behaviors, but am motivated to learn. 
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 03:03:33 PM »

Elysek, hi  Welcome new member (click to insert in post) welcome!

I find your honesty and self-awareness refreshing.  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

So to validate his responses
Seems beyond difficult with any authenticity.
I am afraid that I will not be able to adopt new behaviors, but am motivated to learn. 

Validation was a tough tool for me, too. You already know it has to start with not being invalidating, and validating has to be done with a measure of authenticity or it doesn't work. What would you say is the hardest part about validating?

You say you're motivated to learn. Check out this article and let us know if anything stands out!

https://www.bpdfamily.com/content/communication-skills-dont-be-invalidating

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest