Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 09:01:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not Sure  (Read 367 times)
NoBlinders
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Living together, but estranged.

« on: November 24, 2020, 12:58:23 PM »

I think my SO has BPD - she definitely exhibits the traits. She was always mercurial, but we always found our way through. I see now that we have / had a really unhealthy dynamic at times, but we were both supportive and loving, and the issues were sporadic and manageable.

But since the birth of our child, she's really struggled, and with COVID it's completely out of control.

I'm not blaming her - I have a huge part in this. Until I started reading "Walking on Eggshells", I was frustrated and angry with her, pushing her to get help and to work on our relationship. I see now that my trying to convince her to get help was just doing the opposite, and I've made a big change in the way I feel about her and see her.

After someone suggested she might have BPD, have been reading, and it feels like the scales are off my eyes. I have so much sympathy for her. She goes from cripplingly ill (headaches, stomachaches, exhaustion even after sleeping for 12+ hours) to furious (at me, the kids), to depressed. This has been going on for ~2 years, and COVID has pushed it to the worst it's ever been. 

She has no support network: the only people she talks to are an abusive family member who she swings between defending and hating, and a toxic friend who has a clear chip on her shoulder about my partner and actively encourages the rage and emotional damage, while privately saying she she knows my partner is deeply unhealthy and needs help. I do find it positive she has someone to talk to, even though I know (and other friends agree) she would very likely be happy to see my partner's relationship fail and would use a breakup as a way to keep my partner in her life in the way she wants.

Any time she has contact with the family member it causes distress, then she has days-long secretive talks with this friend, and I can set my watch to the blowup / meltdown.

She starts therapy, and then it gets hard and she quits. We do couples therapy and she shuts down when it gets hard. I'm in therapy and she barely tolerates it. She had medical challenges as a child, and now and any attempt to get her to seek help - even saying something's not right - makes her spin off into rage, then sadness, then blame.

I'm sure others know the routine. Not sure what I'm saying / asking. Since I've been in therapy I've come to terms with the fact that, unless something changes and she gets proper help too, either she will leave or I'll have to.

It's really helping me to set boundaries and be calm and empathetic - and I can see her struggling to push those boundaries and find reasons why my empathy is manipulation.

I do love her, and I do want this to work. I know she doesn't want to be alone, but I also know she may never get help and will likely find a reason to leave and then blame me rather than confront her trauma.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what it takes for someone to decide to get help. Even if it's not BPD, even if she really just wants us to be over, she's suffering so much with incapacitating physical illness. I can't imagine the collapse of her family, shared custody of her children, and the loss of everything she has will make things any easier. But if those things won't do it, will anything?

Am I wasting my time, should I just end it and deal with the fallout now. Does anyone have positive stories, suggestions. I've basically resigned myself to making it through the holidays for the kids, and then letting the chips fall where they may.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 09:50:57 PM »

As you’ve experienced, it’s really hard to get someone with BPD into therapy.   https://bpdfamily.com/content/how-to-get-borderline-into-therapy

It sounds like you’re assessing your options and are deciding whether you want to continue in this relationship. Please keep reading here—our community built knowlege base has a lot of good information.  https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?board=45.0

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest