Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 01:36:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please Help- He Paints Himself Black?  (Read 335 times)
justanything88

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Not Sure

« on: November 25, 2020, 05:52:22 PM »

Hi everyone,

I know we’re all familiar with our BPD loved ones and their outward black and white thinking. But I’m curious what I can do when he paints himself black?

He’s been going through a self-proclaimed “identity crisis” during his first year of university as an adult (he’s 31). Most of his classes are very heavy- learning  about racism, privilege, gender and sexuality roles in society. These are all very important things that we should ALL be learning about, but he has 4/5 classes that are discussing these same topics all day, every day.

He’s now questioning everything about himself and is realizing that he’s a pretty flawed human, just like the rest of us. He’s learning new ways of thinking and expanding his empathy. I think it’s great that he’s learning so much but he’s really struggling lately.

ANYWAY, I say this because lately, he’s been doing a lot of B&W thinking towards himself. If he gets a bad grade from his professor, he thinks he is dumb, stupid, and needs to quit school immediately. On a larger scale, if he says one off-beat thing or has a judgemental thought, he’ll say things like “I’m realizing I’m a misogynist” or “I’m a narcissist”.

Obviously I’m not in his head (or a professional therapist) so I don’t know if he actually IS these things, but it’s definitely confusing to hear him say that and I don’t know how to react.

A more profound example is one time he saw a punch buggy (our favourite driving game) and he got all goofy and clocked me a little TOO hard. He’s never ever hit me, physically hurt or intimidated me, or even raised his voice at me. But I was angry with him and told him to never  do that again. At first, he apologized but then immediately said “I’m just an abuser. It’s who I am. I’m abusive and I won’t change”. He later apologized once more and promised he would never do that again.

It leaves me feeling dumbfounded when he says these things. It just feels like this is a very black and white way of thinking. Like, he gets one idea or one criticism and that’s it- that’s his new identity.

Is this common? What can I do about it? What can I say when he says things like this? And most importantly, how do I know if it’s true or not?

Thanks for reading!
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Bella2798

What is your sexual orientation: Bisexual
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Together since 2013

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 03:43:34 AM »

I think it's not very uncommon among pwBPD. My boyfriend says things like these, too. And most of the time, I don't know how to answer, because things like "no babe, you're not dumb, you're such a great mana" doesn't work and makes him angry. Try some sentences like "aw I can understand, I feel dumb too, when I get a bad grade, but this is just a grade I'm sure you do better next time, I believe in you, everyone gets bad grades".
Hope this can help a little bit. ❤️
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest