Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 08, 2024, 10:01:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey everyone  (Read 367 times)
ConfusedAF
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling
Relationship status: Low contact

« on: December 02, 2020, 12:50:12 AM »

I’ve got a sibling with bpd. They’ve experienced a lot of trauma in the past few years, which has greatly exacerbated the bpd symptoms. We’ve been very low contact for awhile now. Ended up talking tonight and it wasn’t great. I felt like a deer in headlights the entire time. Sweating, trying not to say the wrong thing yet stand up for myself. It was hard. I’m on another support site but it seems to be mainly people that are romantically involved. I’m looking for others that might have experiences with siblings, parents, etc. Thanks for listening.
wantmorepeace

Relationship status: connected

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 07:47:52 AM »

I also have a BPD sibling and I relate to the experience you are having.  I can say that therapy with a therapist who understands this disorder has helped me, as have a time-limited NAMI training/support group and this board, which I have only been on a little while.  I've finally given up looking for a "solution" and am just now looking to increase the number of peaceful interactions and my own internal peace (knowing even that won't be perfect).  With sympathy...
zachira
Ambassador

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 11:32:09 AM »

You are not alone in feeling like a deer in the headlights when trying to communicate with your sibling with BPD. I have a brother with BPD, a sister with NPD, and my mother with BPD passed away a year ago. I have learned through many years of turmoil to set boundaries with my many disordered relatives including limiting my contact with them, ending the conversations when they are blaming me for their distressing feelings, not expecting any kind of reciprocal empathetic communication, and not taking it personally how they mistreat me. The biggest challenge for me was to realize that people with BPD dump their overwhelming feelings onto others, that we can be easily affected by how another person is feeling if we don't protect ourselves emotionally. I am now more of an observer of their behaviors, and less of an emotional partner in the dynamics. You are taking the first steps in letting your sibling take responsibility for their emotional dysregulation while looking for how to not be so affected by their melt downs and blaming you for how they feel about themselves. There are many members on this site who have similar experiences with siblings and family members with BPD. Do read other threads on PSI and you will find many members with challenges with siblings with BPD that are similar to yours. Keep us posted on how you are doing and let us know how we can be the most helpful.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 11:38:03 AM by zachira » Logged

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest