Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 05:24:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Intense anxiety, difficulty focusing after setting boundaries  (Read 378 times)
rlbebr
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: broken up

« on: December 14, 2020, 01:08:55 PM »

Has anyone experienced anxiety, insomnia, trouble concentrating at work, intense urges to research BPD to make sense of your world, etc. as a result of having a relationship with someone with BPD.  He is diagnosed BPD, bipolar, and depressed. Although I believe he loves me, I have also been his supply of affirmation, have jumped through every control hoop there is and have compromised many of my own values/needs so that he could continue to have his needs met exclusively. The list is endless. Idealization followed by devaluation in the most verbally and emotionally abusive ways. Ghosting, but never breaking up really. Threats of suicide, cutting, every doctors appointment and every evaluation in his quest to find something (else) wrong with him.  This rollercoaster has left me a wreck.  I don't know how to get out, but it is seriously taking a toll.  I am in in therapy and now am looking at antidepressants.  I can't stay, but I can't block and leave this. Help. Just to hear someone else tell me that they have been where I am would help.
pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 10:45:09 AM »

rlbebr, it sounds overwhelming. I've felt a lot of the things you're describing. Therapy is a HUGE step in the right direction, so kudos for pursuing that.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) Does your therapist have any recommendations for how to navigate your relationship?

Space helped me a lot - space to just breathe, to think, to feel a little relief. It's like my vision was foggy and I couldn't see where to go, but space lifted the fog a little. I felt guilty for taking space - super common but not necessary, because everyone needs space sometimes.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) With affection (click to insert in post)

Talking to other people probably helped the most. I had been gaslighted and felt upside down, didn't know which end was up anymore. When I opened up to other people I realized I was ok and normal and upright, but I was dealing with difficult people.

Check out the site, there are so many stories like ours. You're not alone, and things will get better from here. Big hug to you.

pj

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 12:54:17 AM »

i think we can all relate. youre not alone  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

I don't know how to get out, but it is seriously taking a toll.  I am in in therapy and now am looking at antidepressants.  I can't stay, but I can't block and leave this. Help. Just to hear someone else tell me that they have been where I am would help.

whats going on?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
DreamPocket

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken up

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 10:17:23 AM »

Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

Virtual hug (click to insert in post) Virtual hug (click to insert in post) Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

Excerpt
Has anyone experienced anxiety, insomnia, trouble concentrating at work, intense urges to research BPD to make sense of your world, etc. as a result of having a relationship with someone with BPD
Yes.
And I still get worked up into research & venting mode (with safe, trustworthy people) after every attempt he's made to contact me after our break-up. It's been 5 weeks since I broke up with him, but he e-mailed me last night about how he tested positive for Covid and wanted me to know in case of rumors at work--we work in separate areas of the same building. That was very hard not to reply to, but I think I've been pretty clear that I don't want to talk to him, let alone try to be friends.

I just keep reminding myself that nothing would change, and that NC is to keep the cycle from repeating. I've had one bad relationship before, but it never got as dangerous as this one. (Drinking, guns in the house, pressure into doing & saying things I didn't want to, verbal and emotional abuse). It was the most confusing experience b/c of the random intense idealization. "I'll do whatever it takes. I don't want to lose you."

I don't even know if he has BPD as I don't always relate to other stories on these forums. But I can relate to enough, and I know him enough. I had a hole in my heart that I was trying to fill with him, but now I'm looking to God for that.

I don't know if any of this helped, but I hope you don't forget that your feelings matter... At one point I had to have 2 therapists tell me that I was definitely putting his feelings before my own.

Big hugs, and I hope you find the solution that makes you happy.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest