Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 05:46:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving forward  (Read 384 times)
Zabava

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married

« on: December 29, 2020, 11:02:16 PM »

Hi all,

It's been awhile since I posted here.  I need some advice about dealing with my feelings...I had a zoom call with extended family on Boxing Day, which was nice, but also triggering.  Due to covid I have not seen my ubpd sister or mom for a year.  I have missed them but also I have grown as a person (judge away!)

Anyway, I grew up with an abusive mother and parents who were violent to each other...my extended family did nothing to help us...they knew, they saw and we told them...I am angry and upset to see them reminiscing about Christmases past...

Can anyone relate to extended family denial?

Kwamina
Retired Staff

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 10:17:54 AM »

Hi Zabava,

Wishing you a Happy New Year Way to go! (click to insert in post)

Seeing your extended family om Boxing Day, albeit virtually, was quite triggering for you. How are you feeling now?

I am glad to read you have grown as a person Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) With affection (click to insert in post) What are the most significant improvements or changes you have noticed in yourself?

Extended family can be difficult. On the one hand, it sometimes might seem that they don't get to see everything that we get to experience of our BPD family-members, but on the other hand sometimes they do as in your case. When you look at past conversations with them when you told them about your abusive uBPD mom and the violence between your parents, how did your extended family react? Did they acknowledge your experience at all?

The Board Parrot

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
Zabava

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 09:38:02 PM »

You are very kind to reply Kwamina.  I have grown because I have only had my kids and husband to rely on and I realized how much they care.  I have also had time to forgive my mother and sister and appreciate our virtual time together.  At the same time, I have found great fulfillment and joy from my job as an education worker in a kindergarten class.  It's been scary at times and challenging with covid protocols, but the kids are inspirational.   They are so adaptable and so happy to be at school...and I feel genuinely useful and appreciated.

As for the extended family...I feel that they turned a blind eye...they all knew.  My sister and I told them and asked for help...to no avail.  I think they were afraid and embarassed by my parent's behaviour. 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest