Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 08:43:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Expressing yourself  (Read 404 times)
Jay1972

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: March 25, 2021, 10:06:08 PM »

Hi All,
I want to know how others manage the issue of expressing yourself with a bpd partner.

Latest incident this morning: child (6) having issues over his lunch order, basically having a go over not getting the junk food he wants. Wife (undiagnosed bp) goes from fine to super stressed in 10 seconds. Both are unloading on me for it and I decide enough is enough and react. Wife now in a mood and not speaking to me..

How do people handle this sort of thing. I know you are not supposed to react but I am routinely used as the target of their venting, often for things that are not to do with me directly. Letting it slide and taking the blame for things just reinforces the behaviour and is not healthy for me. Losing my cool obviously isn’t good either. How can I make it known how these things affect me without it escalating into more conflict?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 03:22:42 AM »

can you say more about what was said, and how you reacted? we can walk it through.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Jay1972

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 06:44:06 PM »

Can’t really remember what was said now (heat of the moment type thing). Basically I was being yelled at on both sides and reached a point where I yelled back. Wife now saying that I constantly yell at them and that it’s unacceptable. Responds with disbelief when I explain I was reacting to their behaviour.

The main issue I feel is if I don’t react it just sets up a status quo of its ok to blame and verbally abuse me for literally everything (and 6 year old is picking up these behaviour cues), which isn’t ok at all. However any attempt to stop it is treated as I am being unreasonable (and met with the usual splitting behaviour). I know walking away is a recommended response but obviously in a family situation with a small child that isn’t always possible.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 12:57:25 AM »

its hard to go on without more detail.

i have memories of me as a young child where my mom and i would tease my dad. we would call him fat and bald.

that absolutely mortifies me now, as an adult. my dad struggled with his weight most of his life. no man likes going bald. at 34, i struggle with both. i dont think id take it as well as my dad did if i were teased by my wife and child for it.

at the same time, our responses define us. i could give you a list of healthy and unhealthy responses to such a thing.

generally speaking, thats what id advise. keeping your cool, seeing the big picture of conflict resolution. try fast forwarding, imagining your son in a difficult relationship in the same situation. what would you advise him?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest