Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 08:13:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What does a success story look like?  (Read 385 times)
Mac5
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Dating

« on: March 28, 2021, 06:01:20 PM »

Hi all, first of all thanks everyone for creating and contributing to this amazing board that has given us so much insight. First post here and I wanted to ask for opinions and experiences about what a success story looks like in real life.

One thing is no longer meeting the DSM-5 criteria, which in itself is a huge step forward, but I am more thinking about other “symptoms” (some of which I guess sometimes may relate more to the potential causes of the BPD than the BPD itself) that I read about here and elsewhere.

For those that have witnessed success stories, have you also seen improvement (if they were ever present in the pwPBD) in things like:
-Invalidation of your feelings and emotions?
-Entitlement?
-Controlling/coercive behaviours?
-Self destructive patterns/reactions?
-Pushing away the person they are afraid to lose so it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy?
-Frequent blaming and criticism, and refusal to admit fault to sometimes extreme levels?
-Circular conversations/arguments?
-Victimisation and projection?
-Distrust/false accusations?
-Distorted thinking where there is sometimes confusion regarding cause/effect/intent/chronology and emotion vs reality? Often coupled with blame.
-Lack of empathy?
-Any other experiences where you witnessed clear improvement with treatment and awareness?

I’d be curious to hear peoples experiences about the impact on your daily lives. And have you ended up feeling emotionally “safe” in the relationships? Also, for those that have seen real improvement does this also hold through trauma (such as illness, crisis, deaths, redundancy, divorces etc) later on in life, or does the BPD tend to flair up or even “come back”.

Many thanks in advance.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Mac5
Fewer than 3 Posts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Dating

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 01:48:13 AM »

Sorry I have no idea why this ended up under children/parents. Was meant to be under romantic relationship Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 12:17:29 AM »

what success entails is going to be different for everyone.

i know you know that, but i want to impress that point.

for some, its "good enough". for some, its "good enough until the kids are old enough for us to divorce". for some its marked improvement. for some its dramatic improvement. for some, its a particular issue that is a particular deal breaker.

the short answer to your specific questions is: depends.

some of them may or may not improve on their own.

some of them may improve with therapy/recovery.

some of them are more likely to improve with your own leadership, the tone you set for the relationship environment.

some of them, it will help to be more specific about how theyre playing out in your relationship.

you love a difficult person, and when you love a difficult person, you need realistic expectations that are reflective of the person you love. if the person you love went to therapy tomorrow, and made perfect progress, they would still struggle. some of these things are at the core of a persons personality, and, especially the older we get, the harder that is to change. can it change? absolutely!

but for example, if you love a person that generally invalidates your feelings and emotions, a person can reasonably improve in that area, but theyre probably not going to become your emotional rock. ive had a lot of loved ones in my life with that quality. ive had loved ones in my life that did have that quality, but didnt, when i needed it most. its sad, its frustrating, its hurtful. but everyone has certain limits and limitations.

when it comes to something like circular arguments, this tends to be something we have a bigger role in than we think. and its the sort of thing where we have a bigger amount of control over whether it improves or not by changing our responses.

and thats kind of the long and short of it. when you love someone with bpd, you are one of, if not their greatest influences, and while we cant love someone out of bpd, we can emotionally lead the relationship on a healthier trajectory.

can you tell us more about your relationship to your loved one, and how some of these things are playing out in your relationship?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest