Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 02:14:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roller-coaster of diagnosis  (Read 357 times)
normal person

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married

« on: May 06, 2021, 09:33:17 PM »

Hi all
Just wanted to hear from other parents or relatives if this is quite a common issue.

My daughter initially was diagnosed with anxiety, depression, spent couple years with therapist (8 therapists , which she was rating from 1-10) , ended in psych ward, finally diagnosed with BPD. I thought we could start working with it, but she doesn't accept diagnosis and we have different diagnosis since including autism, epilepsy, complex PTSD... is this quite common? How many different medical practitioners am I meant to support with my small wage ? How should I react to this ? Let her talk jibberish and pretend not to hear, acknowledge she feels this way and do nothing... just practical advice would be nice.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
wendydarling
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 08:08:48 PM »

Hi normal person

Yes, what you describe is quite common. We started with eating disorder, 10 yrs later crisis hit, BPD diagnosis, mood disorder, anxiety, depression, PTSD... ruled out schizoaffective and more latterly bi-polar. It helps if we are private medical investigators  Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post) I think we've finally cracked it, though ... my DD wonders if she's on the autistic spectrum. A friend of hers who was  diagnosed BPD was later re-diagnosed autism. When you say your DD doesn't accept the BPD diagnosis, what is her reason?

What's the jibberish NP?

WDx

Be kind, always and all ways ~ my BPD daughter
normal person

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 09:42:56 PM »

Hi, when I say she talks jibberish, she just says things that make no sense - jibberish.
I have extensively read about all disorders and  initially was wondering myself. But currently I am 100% convinced it is BPD she has. She is almost textbook quiet BPD.
The first psychiatrist we were referred to was (I think lucky) a very experienced guy, university professor and diagnosed her as BPD. She later read up what this diagnosis is and could not accept that the reason the world around her seems against her is because of her,not the people around. She had a breakdown of relationship with best friend, then breakdown of relationship with me... she blames everyone else, but herself. She truly believes we are the bad ones. We are so bad, we mistreat her, who has multiple mental issues. It's not her , it's us. World is against her. I see myself like more or less normal person (who is normal) .. I have been married over 20 years, I have a decent job, I am a bit introvert, but no issues with anyone as such, usually people see me a easy going and a helpful person, I do majority of housework, like a glass of wine on weekend, I am really that girl next door type, average in every way. And then my daughter literally paints me in colours that's not true. She claims abuse (darling, please give me your dirty clothes so I can wash is not abuse... yeah, maybe I have raised my voice if they dont listen after 3rd time or said it like ffs give me your dirty laundry... but no violence as such) . She obviously goes to next psychiatrist and I don't know what you have to say to come to conclusion to have cPTSD ... where is trauma? My mom used to spank my arse if I was naughty and not listening Smiling (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest