Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 16, 2024, 02:05:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you do to get the validation you need?  (Read 366 times)
Chosen

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: May 11, 2021, 10:06:52 PM »

I think most of us here will have experienced the lack of validation from our pwBPDs.  So what do you do when do need validation?  Do you just learn to live without it?

I mean, for me, I'm learning to expect no validation, and I'm not surprised to not get any validation for me as a wife nor as a mother- well, especially as a wife.  uBPDh often reminds me what a failure I am as a wife.  Always tell me how he has absolutely no expectation of me, and still I fail him, etc.

But sometimes I find it hard to deal with the smaller invalidations.  Like last night my toddler stepped on my toe (by mistake), but I had no slippers on, so I shouted as it was painful (mind you, I wasn't shouting at the kid; I shouted like "ouch" because of the pain).  And uBPDh looked at me, looking annoyed, and said "what?"  I said kid stepped on my toe.  And he was like "so what?" like "why the F are you making a sound?"  These things I somehow find it even harder to deal with than, you know, being a failed wife.  And I find that whenever I make sounds of shock, of pain or something, he will often be very annoyed with me, seemingly trying to convey "what a drama queen" with his look/ words.  But you can't really control yourself making a sound when you stub your toe/ bump into things/ are shocked by something, right?  It's part of being human.  And I suppose his invalidation makes me feel like it's not even ok to be human, to express normal expressions that humans face. 

Does this happen to you?  And what do you do if it happens?  Just wait for it to pass, or how do you find ways to validate yourself?

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 11:53:56 AM »

The way I look at it, wanting to get validation from someone with a personality disorder is a hit or miss proposition. Sometimes it might happen  Smiling (click to insert in post) but often when you need it most, it won’t, and you will be invalidated instead, as you were.

What I’ve had to do is to build a strong internal dialog and validate myself when I need support. Or get validation from friends. It shouldn’t be this way with your romantic partner, but here we are...

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Jabiru
Ambassador

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 08:58:44 AM »

Adding to above, I take an hour each day to be alone and read, meditate, or walk. I'm introverted and get my confidence from within me, so dedicating this time helps me process what happened, validate myself, and maintain my unique identity to not take personally things the pwBPD says or does (within limits). Friends, a support group, or therapist could also help.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest