Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 12:28:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice request: Should I help her, or how much should I help her?  (Read 639 times)
formflier
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2021, 05:12:07 PM »

So..let her apply for disability or the benefits for "legitimate issues".

If she wants to improve her mental health...being able to solve her own problems is usually better than having someone else care for her..instead of her caring for herself.

My challenge to you is NOT about the details or reasons..it's about the mindset.

Why not direct all non court ordered resources towards improving yourself and your children.  Should there come a day where your wife earns back your trust and makes amends for her actions, then you will start a long deliberate process of considering supporting her.

Do you get the "mindset" issue...where your "head is". 

Best,

FF

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

I Am Redeemed
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2021, 06:33:51 PM »

Ventak,

I agree with FF that she needs to pursue disability if she is truly physically and mentally unable to work, and it sounds like she is. Her treatment team should recognize that.

What is the level of involvement with CPS? Do they have their own criteria they expect her to meet in order to get unsupervised visits? Do they have goals set for her regarding mental health, housing, income, etc.?

We are more than just our stories.
Ventak

To find out what I want, I look at what I do.

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2021, 07:48:28 PM »

I agree with FF that she needs to pursue disability if she is truly physically and mentally unable to work, and it sounds like she is. Her treatment team should recognize that.

Disability is based on family income, and is a long process often taking years... not really an option for her.  

In the past we've discussed starting the process now so that when I retire in 9 years it is in place.  As a reference it took 9 months to get our D assessed, and it will take another 3 months for the government to make a decision... and you only need to spend 30 minutes with her to realize she is clearly disabled (almost 3, no speech, little awareness of other people, her language development is assessed at 7 months level).

What is the level of involvement with CPS? Do they have their own criteria they expect her to meet in order to get unsupervised visits? Do they have goals set for her regarding mental health, housing, income, etc.?

CPS is in a holding pattern.  They have not quite labelled her actions abuse/neglect, so there is not currently court involvement as a direct action against her or me.  However, they haven't "closed" the case against us that was opened on March 8th even though they have a 30 day window that can stretch out only under special circumstances.  We are apparently into the special circumstances criteria.  Things would be SO much easier if they stepped in and set a parenting plan for her.  I've cooperated fully in the hopes that would happen, but no luck.

Seven weeks ago I met with the CPS agent.  She told me that my wife was unstable.  She told me that she felt the children were safe in my care.  She also said that she didn't think that the case quite fit the definition of abuse, though if the 2nd attack had involved the children I'm certain it would be a different conclusion.  She started to say that my wife can't live in the house with us, then corrected herself and said it was not a good idea.  She then said she can't give me legal advice, but that if I wanted to get a restraining order here is a pamphlet for the agency that helps victims of abuse set one up (then handed me the pamphlet).  She then said she was going to do one final interview with my wife and close the case after that interview.  I later read the CPS handbook on domestic violence, which specifically states not to tell victims to keep the abuser out of the house or to get a restraining order.  Recent research indicates those two things put the victim at risk of much harsher violence.  I can only speculate why she hinted so strongly, but I find it most likely that either she felt the kids would be taken away if I don't do those things or that my W was not a threat for escalated violence and so those would be best options.

I contacted her a couple weeks later (five weeks ago) and was told that her supervisor was not comfortable closing the case because of how close the two acts of violence were (March 5 and April 13), and that they were going to monitor things.  I had assumed that meant they were going to wait to see how all the court cases turned out.  Since then, I won her appeal of my RO and had her RO overturned.  She took the plea deal for divergence on the DV case and started her classes.  No word from CPS though, so I'm unsure what will give them confidence to move forward one way or the other.  

If she wants to improve her mental health...being able to solve her own problems is usually better than having someone else care for her..instead of her caring for herself.

My challenge to you is NOT about the details or reasons..it's about the mindset.

Do you get the "mindset" issue...where your "head is". 

I understand what you are saying.  I probably even agree with you on principal.  However, I think there are extenuating circumstances:

• My income disqualifies her from any assistance.
  • My area is one of the homeless capitals of the USA, and any possible help is backed up for months.
  • Her only option to get away from my income, and get assistance, is through divorce.
  • If she gets divorced she loses her treatment team and IMO, any chance at mental health recovery.
  • If she doesn't recover her mental health, it will be more expensive in the long run and worse for the children.

Perhaps I'm using circular logic and just not seeing it... but this seems clear to me.  I'm very open to being wrong here, but I don't understand why you think I am...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 08:01:42 PM by Ventak » Logged
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2021, 08:17:08 PM »

Disability is based on family income, and is a long process often taking years... not really an option for her.  

No..it's not.

The amount that you may get due to your disability, if you are getting SSDI is somewhat based on what you have "paid in" to the system.

I'm 100% permanent and total disabled through the VA, subsequent to that I applied for and was approved for SSDI.

NEVER ONCE was I asked about my families income.  I was asked, poked and prodded about my disabilities, treatment, records...and EXAMS...and more EXAMS..

Her treatment team and she can sort all this out.

Listen man:  If you always tie your kids shoes..and then they become an adult and need to tie their own shoes...does continuing to tie them help them learn to tie their shoes?

That same basic principle is at hand here.  Let her solve her own problems.  If other people enable her to NOT perform the functions of an adult...then...what are the chance she will behave like an adult.

It's hard...it's really hard to watch someone fail...

I'm not suggesting this will be easy...

Best,

FF

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2021, 08:24:35 PM »

• My income disqualifies her from any assistance.
  • My area is one of the homeless capitals of the USA, and any possible help is backed up for months.
  • Her only option to get away from my income, and get assistance, is through divorce.
  • If she gets divorced she loses her treatment team and IMO, any chance at mental health recovery.
  • If she doesn't recover her mental health, it will be more expensive in the long run and worse for the children.

Look at your language.

You close lots of doors..lots of absolutes.  Only, any, none.

It takes little effort to poke holes in these.  I'm not criticizing you, I'm hoping you "see" how locked into this basic thought pattern.

"Ventak is the ONLY hope my wife has.  If Ventak doesn't do (blank) my wife is lost forever..."  etc etc etc

I would encourage you to be deliberate about CURIOSITY!

"Gosh...I wonder if it's possible that my efforts to help have had the opposite effect?"

Best,

FF

Ventak

To find out what I want, I look at what I do.

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2021, 09:21:23 PM »

FF,

I can tell you are getting frustrated.

I'm not trying to be obtuse.  However my brain does not handle abstraction well, if at all.  One of the side effects of autism that annoys me and those trying to communicate with me.

There was a very interesting research study done on communication between autistic and neural-normals based on the "telephone game".  End result was that NN communicate well with NN, autistic communicate well with autistic, but NN to autistic operate at about 60% effectivity.  Those results don't surprise me.  Fortunately my industry is full of autistics Smiling (click to insert in post)

I suspect it is time to drop this particular subject.  I do understand what you are saying and I thank you for the advice.  I will try to process it.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest