Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 01:34:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Appointment with H’s P  (Read 1235 times)
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2021, 03:16:01 PM »

I too had no luck confronting my husband about his drinking. It drove a wedge between us as I continued to harp on it.

Recently he was going through a stressful time and he drank to excess while taking ibuprofen for some arthritic pain issues. Not good to combine the two. When he discovered tarry stools, he realized he’d made a big mistake. Of course he blamed the ibuprofen, not the alcohol.

The issue resolved within a few days. He’s scheduled an appointment with his GI doc. And he hasn’t had a drop of alcohol in probably three weeks.

He’s a much pleasanter person when he’s not drinking. He can regulate his emotions better and his sleep patterns have improved. We’ll see how long this lasts.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2021, 06:32:17 PM »

A question something like this "How does ignoring your P's prescription instructions improve our relationship?"

Or perhaps

"How does ignoring your P's prescription instructions help your behavior inside our relationship?  "  (he has been bringing up how good he will do...so...let's have an answer)

Best,

FF

Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2021, 11:49:36 AM »

Good suggestions, FF.

Cat, that’s what I experience. Addressing it does more harm than good — though actually having a doctor say “no” and us both hearing it opens a new pathway.

He’s definitely better to be around when he’s abstaining. It’s not always explosive or dysregulatory, but even when he’s more balanced, the alcohol often makes him more argumentative and unreasonable. Occasionally, he’s normal and fine and there isn’t the slightest problem. Usually depends on whether or not he’s eaten and what kind of mood he was in to start with.

The fact that I don’t drink at all (personal preference, not a moral/religious one — I hate the taste and am very sensitive to it) can make it worse too. He says it makes him feel like a bad person that I don’t do it.
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2021, 12:48:15 PM »

He says it makes him feel like a bad person that I don’t do it.

How often does he say things like this?  I think there is a pathway here.  SET coupled with encouragement and "more relationship" with you.

Best,

FF

Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2021, 09:20:47 PM »

Not often anymore. He used to do a lot of comparing himself to me and then feeling guilty for things. (Being divorced. Being impatient/not good with kids. Having sex before he and I met. Drinking.) I don’t know if he still does it but, if he does, he doesn’t talk about it as much.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest