Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 11:00:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Expert insight for adult children
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
How to spot a liar
Pamela Meyer
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Learning how to cope  (Read 371 times)
HealTheChildWith
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Living together

« on: July 25, 2021, 05:45:58 PM »

This is my first post , it’s scary and hard to open up but it’s necessary. I’m tired of feeling like I’m alone of isolating myself and having this negative aspect of my life impact the rest of my life. The hardship I’m facing is … my mother has BPD and possibly NPD. It has taken me 5 years in therapy and a life time to finally just say it. People don’t understand if you talk ill of your mother your considered the worse person or if your own mother is being ill toward you than something most be wrong with you.

I don’t have resentments and I have accepted who my mother is and that I may never have the mother I wish I had. Unfortunately for me I still live with my mother and every other week we have these horrible fights so negative and just hurtful (even though I no longer cry or feel pain). I have a younger sister and she’s witnessed the dynamics and has developed her defense mechanisms in order to protect herself from my mother and it has impacted our sister relationship. To say that many times I feel soo alone is my truth , that I have trusted the wrong type of people not only because I wasn’t raised with good people skills but also because I genuinely just want someone I can be close to since I don’t have that with my own mother , many many horrible people have taking advantage of me and have exploited me and have hurt me … til this day I’m still climbing out of that whole. I never complain and I thank god for him and the few wonderful people I have had in my life and moments. It’s just coping and learning how to input strong hard boundaries with my mother is the key I need to work on that until I can move. Once I move she and I both know we will never speak again , my children won’t know her for their own good and my own sanity. My mother has butchered relationships I have developed with friends and boyfriends by making assumptions and saying things over and over until it just starts seeming true or by telling me something is wrong when nothing is wrong. This my start of opening up … 
pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 11:46:48 AM »

Welcome and thank you for trusting us with your story! You're in a safe space here. Many of us understand.

I'm really impressed that you've done the hard work to get you here, and your courage in opening up. At this point, what is keeping you at home? Are you working towards financial independence?

We look forward to hearing more of your story and getting to know you.  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

pj

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
Methuen

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 05:34:23 PM »

Hi there HTCW Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

Excerpt
Unfortunately for me I still live with my mother and every other week we have these horrible fights so negative and just hurtful (even though I no longer cry or feel pain).

Do you know much history about the home your mom grew up in when she was a child?  Was there conflict in that home?  Was it a loving home, or was she treated badly?

My mom grew up in a home that was unsafe for the children, because of a father who was abusive in every way.  Back then, women had no rights, and there were no shelters for abused families, so there wasn't much her mother could do to change the situation.  Then when my mom was 14, her mother (who did her best for her children under the circumstances) died from cancer.  My mother stayed home from school for 6 months and cared for her until she died.  I suspect she felt "abandoned".  Her father continued to abuse her until she moved out a year or two later.  The reason I share this story is because when I was growing up "there was always a crisis".  My mom created mountains out of molehills.  She was emotional, difficult, unreasonable, irrational and beyond frustrating at times.  Conflict happened.  At other times she was a good mother.  Various T's over the years have explained to me that my mom grew up in a state of constant conflict.  She never felt safe.  Later, somehow, she married a really good man, my father.  But the only thing she had ever known was conflict.  So as was explained to me by T's, when life was ticking along too smoothly, that "smooth" feeling was "outside of her box" which made her uncomfortable, and she would create the next cyclone and crisis.  It was a pattern.  Somehow the crisis she created made her feel her within her "normal".  I'm no expert, but this is how it has been explained to me.  Maybe others would disagree.  But it made sense to me based on my lived experience.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that maybe "conflict" is your mom's normal (if this fits then it's probably also the environment she grew up in).  So when things are going too smoothly, your mom gets uncomfortable, because "conflict" feels more comfortable to her than not having conflict.  When my mom starts to emotionally dysregulate, she says things to "push" my buttons.  I used to engage and push back.  That never works but I had to learn that the hard way.  I didn't know she was BPD, so I always expected my mom to behave like a normal rational human, but now I understand she's complicated and not capable of that.  I had to learn a new set of tools to manage my relationship with her, because she certainly wasn't ever going to change.  I was the one who had to change.  One of the things I had to learn was when she started to "push my buttons", I had to disengage and leave the situation in an unemotional way.  No anger.  No frustration.  Just disengage and not give her the conflict, because conflict is her subconscious normal.  So I had to walk away from it.

This is harder for you, because you are living with her.  I live about 6 min away from my mom with my H, which made it easier to excuse myself and leave the situation.  Do you have any "private" or semi-private spaces in the home apart from your bedroom, which she doesn't use much?  A study?  A private bathroom?  Or some other space she doesn't use?  A vehicle of your own?  Someplace to go for a walk when you leave the house?  

Excerpt
I thank god for him and the few wonderful people I have had in my life and moments.
It's so fantastic you have had some wonderful people and moments in your life.  Hang onto those.  You have found a good community here.  We get it, and are here to support you.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest