Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 08:39:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Beware of Junk Psychology... Just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean it's true. Not all blogs and online "life coaches" are reliable, accurate, or healthy for you. Remember, there is no oversight, no competency testing, no registration, and no accountability for many sites - it is up to you to qualify the resource. Learn how to navigate this complicated arena...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If its not BPD then what is it?  (Read 418 times)
Rex31807

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: July 25, 2021, 10:35:41 PM »

She went to see a psychiatrist who told hwr she does not have BPD. The symptoms were the same. What other mental illnesses have the symptoms below?  I know i shouldnt try and diagnose but i was at a loss. Finally after 3 months she got help.

1. Anger
2. Violence
3. Fear of abandonement
4. Walking on egg shells to prevent her anger
5. Rage cycles that last for days
grumpydonut

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken up

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 01:39:50 AM »

Hey mate, I'm not an expert, but I am currently studying psychology and deeply interested in psychopathology.

What other symptoms did she have?
Sappho11

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 02:27:21 AM »

Covert narcissim ticks many of the same boxes, including fear of abandonment as well as the idealise – devalue – discard  relationship cycle. The outbursts of anger, mood swings, sensitivity to criticism, lying, entitlement, self-absorption etc. are just as debilitating as those of someone with BPD (both are a Cluster B disorders). There's a high comorbidity between those two manifestations, too.

BPD often gets misdiagnosed as depression or bipolar disorder (both in Cluster C, mood disorders), especially when irritability and sadness are present. Cluster B carries a certain stigma, even among therapists, as hard to treat and difficult, so they'd often rather diagnose a disorder in Cluster C. Two reasons why her psychiatrist might not have ascribed it to her.

Furthermore... most therapists are reluctant to diagnose any kind of personality disorder if there's no significant suffering on part of the patient or no grave effects on all (!) aspects of their life. Which means, if she's high-functioning at, say, her job and "only" lashes out at you – you're out of luck.

Rex31807

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 09:10:49 AM »

Thanks Sappho. I am trying to make sense of what it is and what makes someone behave in that manner. I didn't get a good feeling that she got some solid answers on how to get better. I know the doctor prescribed medication. These will be good for a period but then they start to lose effectiveness and the cycle starts over again.

It was hell living there. I am glad she finally got some help. I can't make it work no matter how hard I try. Detaching has been a slow and painful process. I have also started my own path to recovery. I found myself depressed and self medicating. I am now 30 days alcohol free. I am beginning to feel as though a weight has been lifted.

When I see a call coming in from her this wave of depression washes over me. I feel a cloud forming and I get depressed and dread listening to the voicemail or answering because I know it will b a long litany of how I abandoned her. I can't get her to see that I can't stay in the house with her chaotic behavior. When she lashes out and yells it is hell. Not to mention the violence. It is no way to live.
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 10:05:36 AM »

Hey Rex31807,

Excerpt
She went to see a psychiatrist who told her she does not have BPD.

Did the psychiatrist tell you that personally? Or, did you hear it from her?

Consider that some professionals won't necessarily tell a BPD patient "Hey, you're diagnosed with BPD!" That can kill the therapist-client relationship which is the foundation of treating BPD. That doesn't mean the client doesn't have BPD.

Also, not telling someone they do have BPD is very different from telling someone they don't have BPD.

So, if it were me, I'd consider (a) the source of the info, and (b) if the info is being "reinterpreted" (i.e., if nobody tells me I have BPD, ergo, they are telling me I don't have BPD)

Hope these questions help as you sort things out,

kells76
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 11:57:46 AM »

this is a good place to start when youre wondering if someone in your life has BPD: https://bpdfamily.com/content/what-borderline-personality-disorder

it notes that there are complicating factors that can look "bpdish" such as:

Excerpt
Complicating Factors  When we encounter high conflict or destructive relationship behaviors it is important for us to know that the problems can be caused by a broad range of things that look a lot a like:

immaturity,
short term mental illness (e.g., depression),
substance induced illness (e.g., alcoholism),
a mood disorder (e.g., bipolar),
an anxiety disorder (e.g., PTSD),
a personality disorder (e.g., BPD, NPD, 8 others),
a neurodevelopmental disorder (e.g., ADHD, Aspergers), or
any combination of the above (i.e., co-morbidity).

these are the dsm criteria for BPD: https://bpdfamily.com/content/borderline-personality-disorder

things like anger, violence, fear of abandonment, are not personality traits, per se. in other words, you cant use them to make a diagnosis of a personality disorder. for example, everyone has anger. lots of people are violent. personality disorders are diagnosed based on traits specific to the disorder, and based on the amount of distress they cause in the individual's life, not necessarily how much distress they cause others.

further complicating it all, a person may possess BPD traits that arent on a pathological level, or may not reach a clinical threshold for a diagnosis. and yet, for a variety of reasons, they may be an even more difficult person to love than someone with a diagnosable/diagnosed personality disorder.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Rex31807

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 09:18:49 PM »

The sad thing is she is a gorgeous hot mess that i need to put behind me. We had a shared history and there were more lows than highs.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest