Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 03:35:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Separate Areas in the Home  (Read 359 times)
starryeyed

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: August 26, 2021, 10:05:07 AM »

My BPD husband will nitpick that I am not tidy enough with the housework.  I admit that he is cleaner than I am, however, I am not a slob by any means.  We both work full-time and I make the majority of our meals and look after the kids.  For example: He will get upset when my nightstand isn't up to his standards.  It isn't in complete chaos, but not the way he would like it to be.  But it's MY night stand.  (How does that affect him?) About 6 months ago, we hired a maid to clean the house twice a month because he didn't like how I didn't dust/ clean the bathroom as often as he wanted me to.  But after a couple of months, he started to pick on me for other things, like my night stand, etc.  I can't stand it anymore.  He will literally say that I don't do anything, which simply isn't true.  I think at this point we need to have our own separate bedrooms / areas of the home.  I don't know what else to do.  Has anyone tried this with a BPD that nitpicks your tidiness in the home?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 12:27:55 PM »

I haven't had this particular issue. I'd be really frustrated too.

It comes down to what you want to accomplish. Will going to separate areas address it? Is that what you want? Does he nitpick other stuff too?

I used to think that accommodating and getting smaller would help. All it did was fuel the meanness. If I was in your situation, I'd probably try using SET (support, empathy, truth). If he says, "You never do anything around here," you can say "It must feel overwhelming to feel like you're the only person that cleans. I really don't want you to feel that way, which is why I did the dishes, made the bed, and tonight I'll make supper."

I'm not in your situation, though. What do you think - would that work?

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 12:34:49 PM »

Yes, but I’m the nitpicky one!  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

I’d been living by myself in the little house I’d built after I divorced my first BPD husband and I was really uncomfortable with the idea of having someone else creating chaos in my environment.

So when my current BPD  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) husband and I were planning to get married and expand my house, I suggested he build a studio on the property for himself.

His man cave is populated with dust bunnies, stacks of books, shoes on the floor, boxes of miscellaneous stuff, etc.

At one point he was whining about how he couldn’t find anything and everything was a mess. Though it’s 1000 square feet, he’s managed to completely fill it to the brim.

I asked if he wanted me to organize his closets, of which he has several—one entirely devoted to camera gear—the only one that was organized.

So I went to the hardware store and bought shelves and cubbyhole boxes, and removed everything from his closets and reassembled them with an order, which he is continuing to maintain, as far as I know.

Long story, but yes, I think deciding that he have his own space at the beginning has saved our marriage.

He has difficulty with organizing and big picture thinking. I’m not BPD, but seeing chaos and disorder upsets me, as I imagine it does your husband.

If you have the space to each have your own room, I think that would be a great strategy. That way you can each have your privacy, deal with things the way you please, and get together for romance in two different environments.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 12:51:04 PM »

Oh and I didn’t mention, it’s your responsibility to clean/dust the bathroom?

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
merelytrying

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 01:55:50 PM »

With someone who's kinda OCD like that (my uBPD husband is as well), there's only so much you can do. Something will always be out of place. Fix one area of clutter, and magically another will start to be a problem. Eventually, though, my husband learned to just ignore my equivalent to the nightstand. Almost all of the time. ;-) That's strictly my space.

I have physical limitations in what I can do, so if he wants the floor vacuumed ever other day, he has to do it himself. I can't. Sure, he stays stressed about all of it, but it's one of those things he yells about briefly and then moves on. I admit that on days when he's in a particularly turbulent mood, I do still go around trying to make sure I've cleaned up all of my unnecessary clutter... but for the most part, we've adapted.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest