Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 10:28:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Life can and will get better  (Read 1327 times)
anxiety5

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: December 02, 2021, 01:24:17 AM »

Good day all.
I used to come to this amazing forum in one of the darkest times of my life.2014-2016. Early 30s, and in a horrific relationship that was so insane you will have to read back through my threads to get the details, I can't even bring myself to regurgitate it all. In summary, she presented herself as perfect, she was beautiful. When I was hooked, the push/pull dynamic started, she cheated on me multiple times and the relationship was a toxic stew of which I found myself in an almost crazy addiction. I'm not here to talk about that though.

Do I still think of her? Sure.
Did it take me an abnormally long time to get over it all? Absolutely. Longer than any other relationship of my life.
Was it hard? One of the most difficult challenges of my life.
Am I ok? I have never been happier.

Simply put, you will be ok. If you are reading this and struggling, I've been there. Again, read my posts if you wish from those days. I was lost. I was searching for answers. I was looking for solutions. It was a losing cause.

I don't quite know what the last thing was but I decided I had enough. I separated from her contact wise entirely. I had a realization. We set the expectations for how other people treat us and frankly I didn't think very highly of myself but didn't know that exactly at the time. I went and bought a Jeep, impulsively. Started going to the gym every morning. I would ride the coast in my car I couldn't afford Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) (and still have by the way!) That car is like a personal part of my soul now. I did so much damn soul searching in that thing. I will never sell it now.  I started focusing inward though. Why did I tolerate those things? What is a healthy relationship? What do I want from now until the time I die? I wrote a lot. Letters to nobody. Outwards thought per say, about what I wanted out of life. I took a heavy inventory about what positive relationships were around me and how they treated each other. I searched for how I became broken.  It was lonely but I learned to be alone. I knew I needed to do that. I didn't date anyone for 2 years. I went to the gym to feel better about me. I ate right to be healthy for me. I focused on work to gain confidence in me. I spent time with extended family and I drove that damn jeep for the longest drives up and down the Florida coast listening to music and enjoying the simple joys like the wind on my face on a Saturday morning.

I started dating again a couple years later with a new found sense of self. Had I thought about the ex? Everyday. Had a goofed and texted her or replied to her from time to time? Sure. but I never saw her once. I avoided our mutual places we had gone.

When you are in the midsts of a storm for so long you lose your compass of what's right, what's healthy or what normal even feels like. That equilibrium is crucial to getting your feet back under you and the pain we endured takes a long time to heal from. I went to a counselor just to talk. Not to be "fixed" but to just help me process everything that happened. I went about 10 times, and it was worth it. I wrote a lot of those letters to nobody late at night and did so based on whatever I was feeling. The good, the bad and I tried to focus on fixing the bad and importantly to focus on the little accomplishments I made and the progress that I was feeling by focusing on myself for once.

When I began dating it was slow. A drink here or there, lunch. Very casual. If dating someone with BDP is good for one thing, you will forever have a radar that can find these people like a needle in a haystack and you will feel that feeling in your stomach that something is off. That's another thing I learned to do, to get reacquainted with trusting my gut instincts again. They are usually right. I avoided the people that felt like I knew them dating, I was careful and mindful not to try and replace her with a carbon copy physically or with that alluring charm that got me into my predicament to begin with. Avoid those people/feelings.

I ended up meeting the most sweet, charming, pretty girl who could not be more polar opposite to what I thought my type was soon after. We took things super slow. I avoided the ones that wanted to talk about being exclusive in 15 minutes. The right person doesn't pressure you won't make you feel rushed and will respect you even though you aren't officially together. (All things I had to re-learn in all that work I did before I started dating again)

We were together for 5 years and were married this past Summer. I can count on one hand how many arguments we have gotten in over that time. I have never been happier and am in a place I never thought I'd be.

I want every person out there who is in that place I was in 7 long years ago who may still be reading this to know something. It's not and it never will be too late for you. I'm here to tell you that there is life after this mess we found ourselves in. I'm here to tell you the pain does subside, the hurt does go away and that there is someone out there who will treat you the way you deserve to be treated. This too shall pass.

As the holidays draw closer, I know how tough those are to find yourself in a mess or trying to be strong alone and avoid contact, or move on. I know so very well how that feels and what you are going through. I can promise you that it's worth it.

If I can ever be of assistance to anyone or if anyone needs some help to pull you through a hard patch, feel free to reach out to me. I went through some crazy stuff with her and I assume I can relate to a lot of what you may be experiencing. If I can help let me know.

You don't need someone else to validate your right to be respected, loved and treated well. Never lose hope or let someone else lose it for you. I promise, there is a way out and each and everyone of you deserve that.

God Bless

jaded7

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: unclear

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 12:27:55 PM »

I just want to say thank you for this. It's a real testament to your character that you took the time-had the thought even- to share this bit of hope with all of us here.

Unfortunately, I'm in the place you were and you describe so well. I doubt myself, berate myself and think that I somehow messed this up. Her voice rings in my head, her put downs haunt me and cause me to question every single thing I do in my work and in my relationships with friends. It lives in me.

I think this speaks volumes about your character, and I think it can point all of here struggling to our own good character. At my core, I on occasion can summon that feeling.

Goosey

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 08:50:23 PM »

Thank you Anxiety for sharing this. 
    I too never want to regurgitate in words what I went through.
 I don’t spin around in the whys or what if’s anymore. I am learning to be alone and yes sometimes it’s lonely, I just know I’m not ready to be a good partner for a while. I still somehow miss my ex. Then again I realize that after decades together this is normal.
   Yup it absolutely gets easier. I’m doing better and I do hear in the grapevine that “she” is doing better. I did conflict for a moment on that. I know that is a positive development. . And I’m at peace with the reality I’m left with. Because it actually is reality. That’s a concept that took a bit to reconnect with.
   Again it’s nice for you to share your journey.  Thanks.

WhatToDo47

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 07:39:59 PM »

This is so helpful and reassuring! Really appreciate you taking the time to post this!
tina7868
Ambassador

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 10:11:38 AM »

Thank you for sharing. It's a very reassuring post Smiling (click to insert in post)
AdRock

Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 08:06:00 PM »

I've been reading your old posts today (I couldn't find the first one for some reason).  It sounds like you went through the emotional gauntlet (as we all have in our own ways).  I'm very inspired by your personal journey (and honestly, posts from 8 years seem to have a different feel, but I suppose some of us come and go as we move forward).  I was most inspired by how aware you were of what you were going through.  One post stuck out to me, how coming on this forum is part of the healing process, one you will do less and less of if your personal healing is taking place.  I also was struck how you did not know why you were codependent.  I myself have no idea why I am.  My parents are together and I come from a stable home.  I know I'm an introvert so maybe my social anxiety prevented me from developing correctly.  Like you though, I do commit to someone fully when I care about them.  Anyway, glad you decided to post this.  A good reminder for us all.
WhatToDo47

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 10:29:27 PM »

I've been reading your old posts today (I couldn't find the first one for some reason).  It sounds like you went through the emotional gauntlet (as we all have in our own ways).  I'm very inspired by your personal journey (and honestly, posts from 8 years seem to have a different feel, but I suppose some of us come and go as we move forward).  I was most inspired by how aware you were of what you were going through.  One post stuck out to me, how coming on this forum is part of the healing process, one you will do less and less of if your personal healing is taking place.  I also was struck how you did not know why you were codependent.  I myself have no idea why I am.  My parents are together and I come from a stable home.  I know I'm an introvert so maybe my social anxiety prevented me from developing correctly.  Like you though, I do commit to someone fully when I care about them.  Anyway, glad you decided to post this.  A good reminder for us all.

Agree with this! As an aside, I also come from a stable and loving home, and my parents are together. I think that is what made me vulnerable to a pwBPD, I was naive and thought that everyone wanted a stable, loving relationship if given the right nurturing environment. My therapist agreed with me on this. Some people, sadly, were either raised with chaos or have something different in their brains where they don't want to or can't form that stable bond. Instead, they seek chaos as that's where their "comfort zone" is. Would love to hear any other thoughts on why you think you became codependent in your relationship, especially as it sounds we had a similar, healthy model in our family of origin.
Positively Prime

Relationship status: broken up

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 03:55:30 PM »

What a perfectly appropriate and timely thread! Absolutely positive, thank you!
Atlantis8

Relationship status: Unknown

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2022, 07:27:48 AM »

This was a lovely and inspiring read. I’m new to this whole process in some ways, so I’m probably in the very beginning hurting gauntlet dark hours of it and it’s posts like these that give me a glimmer of hope. Thank you for that.
WhatToDo47

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2022, 10:16:16 PM »

This was a lovely and inspiring read. I’m new to this whole process in some ways, so I’m probably in the very beginning hurting gauntlet dark hours of it and it’s posts like these that give me a glimmer of hope. Thank you for that.

Hang in there! I was in your shoes about a year ago and I'm doing SO much better now. It does get better. Just give it time, be kind to yourself, take it one day at a time, and seek therapy for the abused you suffered and/or are suffering. And read and post here as much as you can, and learn all about BPD you can. Stay active, get enough sleep, eat healthy, spend time with friends and family, pray, and don't lose hope! Your life will get better just like mine and anxiety5's!
yellowbutterfly

Relationship status: DIVORCED and in recovery from PTSD

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2022, 09:29:07 PM »

Thank you! Just what I needed to read today as I’m very down about my situation.
WhatToDo47

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2022, 05:49:22 PM »

Thank you! Just what I needed to read today as I’m very down about my situation.

Hope you're having a good day. It does get better and everyone here is here to help Smiling (click to insert in post)
SinisterComplex
Senior Ambassador

Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2022, 10:33:21 PM »

So YB...what makes you so very down about your situation. Talk about why are you feeling the way you are feeling. I'm listening as well as the rest of the team and the community.

Cheers and best wishes!

-SC-

Through Adversity There is Redemption!
yellowbutterfly

Relationship status: DIVORCED and in recovery from PTSD

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2022, 12:01:25 PM »

Thanks, I will start a new thread
SaltyDawg

Relationship status: BPDw in preliminary remission w/ continual progress

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2022, 02:25:14 PM »

Thank you for your inspirational story. 
Goosey

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2022, 07:39:14 PM »

It’s easy to fall back and “forget” the actual malicious abusive insanity. I only have split seconds of melancholy and quickly jolt out of it and say oh f…k that.
   Of course I wish no harm to the other and accept I maybe somehow could have been more supportive but at some point glimmers of self preservation (life) and the fact we are left holding the bag of responsibilities make the move  for us to cut the cord required 
     Took me years to just know that there are no answers so don’t ask yourself the questions. 
    We have a daughter together and I do my dam..its
 to not ask or pry about the circus.
    Money. Things. Lies.
   That’s the roll and I’m glad to be off that.
  I see partners that work together for common good of family. Goals. Bpd is polar opposite of that.
  Get out. Cry. Mourn. Survive.
They will easily. We will also.
  Sorry to digress though this is actually a step forward to me.
Best to all.
Torimagic

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Broken up

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2022, 03:41:41 AM »

Thank you for this thread! It is much needed right now. It’s hopeful to hear people’s stories of moving past and healing. Also, I really struggle with the obsession of “the answers” which seems to be common here.
DarkKnight

Relationship status: Broken engagement

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2022, 03:19:21 PM »

This post is so awesome-- thanks so much for sharing !
silentlyscreamin

Relationship status: engaged/living together

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2022, 03:44:34 PM »

Anxiety, thank you for this wonderful, insightful and helpful post. It was just what I needed to see today. Which is probably why you posted it. I see what you did there... anyway, thank you.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest