Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 11:19:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Faking' pain. An underestimated part of BPD?  (Read 505 times)
T0M

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: dating

« on: March 08, 2022, 05:50:05 AM »

I always suspected my GF with BPD 'faked' her neck and lower back pain. She would ask for a massage (not every week, but almost every day) because her neck was "killing  her" or she could not sit on a certain spot in the sofa, or stand for to long...

And I put the word fake between brackets, because I do believe it is real for her.

But now I stumbled on the below article, and it reveals a symptom of BPD that is not mentioned in any other articles I read. Atleast I have not come across it before. It states that people with BPD have a much lower tolerance for chronic pain. 30% of people with chronic pain, are also diagnosed with BPD. 30% of people with undiagnosed chronic pain ( fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, lower back pain, and irritable bowel syndrome) also have BPD. As only 2-6% of people have BPD.

In the article they speak of BPD as the comorbid part, but it should actually be the other way around.

Reasons why they suffer more might be:
- Attention seeking
- Access to medication
- Victimizing/ dramatization
- Impaired self-regulation

So does anyone have a BPD partner that suffers from a chronic pain? My GF has the neck and back pains and irritable bowl syndrome. Both of them are un-diagnosed.

https://www.reliasmedia.com/articles/63579-the-difficult-chronic-pain-patient-a-case-of-borderline-personality-disorder
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Jabiru
Ambassador

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 08:30:11 AM »

My uBPD wife occasionally has back pain, usually after intense physical activity. She saw a doctor but we're still not sure if it's "normal" pain or psychogenic pain. From my own experience with anxiety, I can say psychogenic pain is as real as "normal" pain.

I had to think if I was supporting or enabling my wife with her pain, so I encouraged her to see a doctor. Any thoughts?
judee

Relationship status: on a break

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 08:54:15 AM »

Yes! On our first date he wore shorts and a knee brace. I remember thinking.. it was not that hot, why not just wear long pants?  I got the impression he wanted me to see it.
He said he had a meniscus tear after a fall during running with his ex.
It was never diagnosed and it didn't show anything on MRI.
However he said that was because of malpractice of dutch hospitals.
He kept wearing that brace for the three months I was with him and after a few weeks an elbow brace followed after a game of tennis.
I couldn't help but feel at times he faked it, to be able to stay victim of, something.
The interesting thing is: when I actually got diagnosed in October with a serious condition it filled him with guilt and shame. I had to talk for hours to make it clear to him that it was not his fault.
When I got a bit better, I thought he would be happy for me but instead he said  that that was 'proof' that he was the cause of my illness. (we had a pause for a couple of weeks).
If this is how BPD minds work, it explains why they would exaggerate/invent illnesses themselves, to cast off shame/guilt and remain victim.
thankful person

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

Formerly known as broken person…

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 05:12:00 PM »

Interesting topic. When I first met my wife online she was regularly self harming very severely. I’ve never seen scars worse than hers. But she didn’t tell me of her chronic back pain until we were actually together. One of the first things I noticed about my wife was her extreme discomfort on a daily basis… hurting, being uncomfortable in bed, on sofa, too hot, too cold, clothes irritating her. Period pains would be a whole day of crying and wailing, however to be fair she has now said that child birth was the same pain and no worse, which other people don’t agree with. My wife had suffered horrendous sexual abuse as a child, and it seemed to me that she just couldn’t bear anymore, like all her lifetime of tolerance was used up during the abuse so she could not bear being a bit hot for example.. It did seem at odds with the self harm, however I can understand it. I do relate to bpd, and as a teenager I may even have got a diagnosis had I seen a doctor who recognised it. A few years ago following a motorcycle accident, I was left with chronic pain and shoulder injury, frozen shoulder and impingement, which lasted for years. I was in constant pain, unable to get comfortable in bed so barely slept, and unable to do the things I enjoyed. It was enough to drive anyone over the edge. And I did have thoughts of self-harm, and suicide, anything to distract from the shoulder injury.
But I have noticed that since I have generally recently changed my behaviour towards my wife, she is still complaining of back pain but interestingly no longer screeching at me about how it’s my fault because I should have bought a new bed and sofa and I should have something to say or suggest etc etc. Sometimes I now walk away when she is going off on one, and in our circumstance, where I’m now strong enough to do this, it seems to be eliminating most of the behaviour. I don’t think her pain is fake, I just wish she could know how much pain I’ve been in without complaining or screeching at anyone.

“Maybe I’ll get it right next time…” from “Estranged” by Guns N’ Roses
T0M

Relationship status: dating

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 12:59:59 AM »

Interesting topic. When I first met my wife online she was regularly self harming very severely. I’ve never seen scars worse than hers. But she didn’t tell me of her chronic back pain until we were actually together. One of the first things I noticed about my wife was her extreme discomfort on a daily basis… hurting, being uncomfortable in bed, on sofa, too hot, too cold, clothes irritating her. Period pains would be a whole day of crying and wailing, however to be fair she has now said that child birth was the same pain and no worse, which other people don’t agree with. My wife had suffered horrendous sexual abuse as a child, and it seemed to me that she just couldn’t bear anymore, like all her lifetime of tolerance was used up during the abuse so she could not bear being a bit hot for example.. It did seem at odds with the self harm, however I can understand it. I do relate to bpd, and as a teenager I may even have got a diagnosis had I seen a doctor who recognised it. A few years ago following a motorcycle accident, I was left with chronic pain and shoulder injury, frozen shoulder and impingement, which lasted for years. I was in constant pain, unable to get comfortable in bed so barely slept, and unable to do the things I enjoyed. It was enough to drive anyone over the edge. And I did have thoughts of self-harm, and suicide, anything to distract from the shoulder injury.
But I have noticed that since I have generally recently changed my behaviour towards my wife, she is still complaining of back pain but interestingly no longer screeching at me about how it’s my fault because I should have bought a new bed and sofa and I should have something to say or suggest etc etc. Sometimes I now walk away when she is going off on one, and in our circumstance, where I’m now strong enough to do this, it seems to be eliminating most of the behaviour. I don’t think her pain is fake, I just wish she could know how much pain I’ve been in without complaining or screeching at anyone.

Hello Broken Person,
The article indeed says that people with BPD can deal better with self inflicted and/or short periods of pain, than the average person. If you ever have time, it is an interesting read.

I recognize what you say. My GF complains how uncomfortable my sofa is an that it is really bad for her back. Also my chairs are not ok and so on. But She refuses, when she is working from my place, to go and sit on my ergonomic office chair when I offer it to her. She also refuses to sit in the semi-comfortable spot in the sofa. As if she rather is in pain than that she has nothing to complain about.

She also complains about my mattress. So I both exactly the same mattress as she has. But now it is the bed.  Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)

ILMBPDC

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: Single

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 08:28:49 AM »

In my own healing journey (from CPTSD) I have come to learn that chronic pain can be a result of trauma.

From an article on the Pathways Health website:
Those who have experienced trauma may be easily startled, constantly on the lookout for potential threats (also known as hypervigilance). They may be very anxious and find it difficult to relax. These hyperarousal symptoms can cause very tense muscles which can be painful and contribute to chronic pain. This state of hyperarousal also perpetuates the stress and pain cycle.

Pain hypervigilance is a common symptom of chronic pain and can wire the pain response deeper. By being hypervigilant about our pain, we are feeding back to our brain that it should continue producing pain messages. Since those who have experienced trauma are already hypervigilant, they’re more inclined to become hypervigilant about their chronic pain

I am also starting to understand that BPD is likely just an advanced form of CPTSD. I had an interesting conversation on the CPTSD subreddit with someone who is working on their PhD related to trauma and this was their take:
CPTSD and BPD are pretty much next to each other on the spectrum of complex trauma responses, which goes something along the lines of single incident PTSD, CPTSD, BPD, OSDD, DID. This is part of the theory of structural dissociation, which would propose that each of these conditions involves different extents of dissociation between aspects of yourself. So I don't really find it meaningful to differentiate between the two conditions (BPC/CPTSD), I find it more effective to focus on the cause of the difficulties someone is having.

So, yes, chronic pain can be part of BPD due to the way trauma is held in the body. I'm reading a super interesting book called "The Body Keeps the Score" about exactly this topic and it goes into studies and brain scans and the physiological reasons all of this, its been super interesting.

As for my ex - yeah he had some chronic pain - his left knee and migraines mostly. Interestingly he claims his migraines disappeared after a bout with covid.
Liren

What is your sexual orientation: Bisexual
Relationship status: Separating/Divorcing

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2022, 09:13:09 AM »

Interesting.  I've only just recently broken up with my uBPD husband, so I'm a little raw right now.  But one thing I've noticed in our almost 20 years together -- he always "mirrors" my illness or pain.  Whenever I got sick - like a minor cold - he would get "sick" too.  Now, of course people living in the same house are going to pick up the same illnesses, so I didn't think much of it.  He tends to get ill a lot anyway (poor self care and refusal to seek treatment).  But I always noticed that in the rare times >I< said I had a sore throat or stomach problems, he would have the same symptoms.  A couple of times I "faked" it, just to check, and yep, he instantly has my "illness".  Also, things like sore neck, carpal tunnel, etc.  He probably would have liked to have surgery when I did, but it;s rare for a man to need a hysterectomy!
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2022, 10:10:20 AM »

He probably would have liked to have surgery when I did, but it;s rare for a man to need a hysterectomy!

Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

My husband seems to have chronic pain issues that migrate from one body part to another. I think some of it is genuine physical pain (well all of it is) but honestly I think he somatizes his emotional issues. Feeling physical symptoms is probably less threatening to his psyche than confronting his emotional problems.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
FirstSteps

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2022, 03:13:52 PM »

This is a huge thing in my house as well.  My wife doesn't mirror me but she somatizes a lot.  She also has legit and chronic health issues so it turns into a big old mess that I can't figure out. 
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2022, 06:01:02 AM »

Physical pain is a language others understand, inner BPD pain is one others do not. So the former becomes a vehicle for expressing the second.

Much the same way most people use analogies to explain things, to a pwBPD the "analogy becomes real.. ie "it felt just like''" becomes "it was ''.All made the worse by the need to defect all consequences onto an external source/person

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2022, 07:23:00 AM »

Waverider, your posts are always packed with wisdom.

I'm going to add that (at least in my own observation)- identifying their own emotional feelings make it hard to express an emotional need- and as WW say, physical pain is one way to communicate their feelings. I do believe they have a great deal of emotional pain and for that, I am sad for them.

But it's their pain, we didn't cause it and we can't fix it for them. They seem to seek external reasons for it and so aren't able to identify it as their own feelings.

Expressing physical pain then becomes a clearer means to getting these needs met and in addition, wards off any accountability or expectations of them. Getting upset with someone when they are in physical pain is unkind. Expecting someone to do something ( like chores ) is unreasonable. Seeking medical help for physical pain is more socially acceptable than seeking mental health, with the unfortunate potential consequence of emotional and physical addiction when empathetic providers respond by treating the physical pain with medication.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest