Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 09:05:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi this is my first post  (Read 382 times)
Anonymous1847

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Complicated

« on: May 18, 2022, 12:32:28 PM »

I am a 40 year old man that has been in a relationship with a 29 year old for the past 7 years. I always knew she was abnormal but I didn't know what was wrong with her. She would act like everything was fine, and then when I went to work, I would come home to find her gone and moved out. She wouldn't answer my texts or phone calls for a few weeks and ghost me. The first time this happened I thought "ok I guess that's one way to break up" and started to move on, only for her to come back like nothing happened. When I asked her what happened and what was wrong she left the next day while I was at work with a note "you don't understand". To this day I don't know what set her off the first time but I came to realize that any sort of correction even incredibly minor set her off. Things like "can you not keep the fridge door open so long I don't want to put a strain on it" caused her to melt down. Me beeping at someone in traffic that cut me off caused her to split and ghost me once. All of these minor things over the years have been chalked up in her mind as "abuse". She has zero friends as she alienates them almost immediately. When I first met her she told me how abusive her mother was but as time went on that narrative became less believable. I now think the mother did absolutely nothing wrong and is "abusive" like I am "abusive" when I asked her once "why do you never show any accountability for anything?". When I asked her that she cried as if I had hit her, ran to our bedroom, locked the door, and told me "she has no idea why she's in a relationship with someone as horrible as me". She is very beautiful and I think a part of me dealt with her instability so long because of that. Ironically she seems to have an incredibly delicate sense of self image despite being very attractive and fit. I use to think she was just not an emotional person, but now I see she has trouble approximating emotions. I have often found her in front of the mirror "practicing" making happy faces and sad faces. I always thought that was bizarre and told her that whatever expressions I have are genuine and not practiced. This spurred another ghosting adventure where she didn't talk to me for 3 weeks. I have learned that any sort of negative emotion no matter who it is directed at (like beeping at someone in traffic) is internalized and used against me as "abuse". It is to the point where I cannot say or do anything without tip-toeing out of fear of her labeling something innocent or average as "abuse". I learned what BPD is a few months ago and all of her behaviors made sense for the first time. I also know that there is very little to do in terms of changing or helping BPD people; however, I have children with her so I don't have a choice but to deal with her. It feels so good to have a support group like this online anonymous. She gets angry with me at the idea of me telling anyone about how I feel about anything if it casts her in a negative light. At the same time she has made it completely clear that any hurt that I have from her actions are my problem and she doesn't care about my emotions or how I feel. She only wants praise, and to be told she's perfect. I have come to the point where I have largely unplugged and just go through the motions of life trying to avoid her as much as possible. She literally makes me miserable and I want to go back in time and kick myself for having children with her.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

EZEarache

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 01:49:22 PM »

1847, Welcome, I'm sorry that you are enduring this. I'm sure it's very painful, and a lot to comprehend.

She literally makes me miserable and I want to go back in time and kick myself for having children with her.

I am so familiar with this sentiment. I can assure you that you are not alone in this feeling. I think something similar almost everyday of the week.

Lots of questions here so I can get a better understanding of your situation.

What are your goals for the future with this person with BPD?

How old are the children?

Are you married to your partner with BPD?

Does she still leave suddenly, now that you have children?
Anonymous1847

Relationship status: Complicated

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 02:24:19 PM »

My kids are still young 3 and 4. I am hoping that I can simply survive and eventually tell my kids what's up with mom. Right now BPD stays with her mother and "visits me" two weeks out of the month with the kids. I love seeing my kids but spending more than 24 hours with her is excruciating. She has weaponized the children against me in the past. Last year she claimed "child abuse" and I had a detective calling me asking me to come to the station to answer a few questions. Needless to say after CPS interviewed my kids they found that they love their dad and are not abused or exhibit any signs of abuse they closed the case. The "case" was dismissed as it was entirely in BPD's fantasy which she has NEVER apologized. The idea that her shenanigans hurt me or our family are unimportant to her. All that matters to her is getting what she wants, having tantrums, and trying to throw me under the bus because Im such a bad evil man that reminds her of her father that left her when she was young. She had hours of tapes that she had secretly recorded with hidden cameras which showed hours of me being a good father. I really really resent her for weaponizing my kids against me. My only hope is when my children are old enough to have a rational conversation, I can explain to them that their mom is sick. I am sure they will figure that out on their own but I always want to be the stable, loving, father for them that they can depend on. I suffer through her nonsense for the sake of seeing my kids. When she is challenged with anything that asserts she is not perfect she flies away and ghosts me. I have never really hated someone until her but she has turned my life into a hostage situation and my hope is when my kids are old enough to use phones and know whats up, I will finally be free of her. Every hour of every day with her is excruciating. I have taken to popping those delta 8 gummies to deal with her and just stay mellow with her so she doesn't imagine some "abuse" against her and add it to her journal. I forgot to mention she keeps a journal of all my horrible "abuses" like the time I asked why she did all of her laundry but none of mine and appeared annoyed. It should be noted that her life resembles a Persian cat's life. I pay for EVERYTHING she wants so she can be a Stepford mom and parade our kids around the neighborhood in our Mercedes stroller and her biggest concern is what is for lunch. Everyone in our neighborhood thinks "oh that's the doctor's wife that is taken care of and they have such a beautiful family. They would never understand the hell that is being with her because they see a beautiful super model that looks so happy (remember she practices smiling in front of the mirror to blend in with other humans). It's a living hell that only people like us can understand. My friends all speak to me about "getting a good lawyer so that you have full custody" and inside I'm like "oh yeah so she can smear my name and try to destroy my life with all her fantasies and ghost me with my kids for who knows how long" as if BPD people pay close attention to what is legal and who has custody. It's an awful situation but just talking with people like all of you have already made me feel much better. Simply knowing I am not alone and with people who actually understand.
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 04:48:37 PM »

Whether or not you intend to divorce, it would be useful to employ the services of an attorney to look at your options and plan to document issues that could arise. You’ve already seen how distorted her reality is and have an idea of what she could claim and try and use against you. It’s time to start building a good legal defense.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
EZEarache

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 05:36:33 AM »

My only hope is when my children are old enough to have a rational conversation, I can explain to them that their mom is sick.
I'm in another support group through my therapist where we discuss our relationships with our high conflict co-parents. I'm not an expert, but from what the other members have explained, this is a long process. You'll need to be careful because you can't cause parental alienation. As your children start to ask questions like, "why does mommy behave this way?" you'll need to give them answers at their level. Remember anything you say to the children will go right back to their mother until they're at least teenagers. This will only cause you more drama.

You do have another hope though, that your co-parent with BPD becomes so unhinged that she gets committed to a hospital and is forced to accept help. Remember it is somewhat treatable in the unlikely event that a patient is able to accept the diagnosis of the condition and work on themselves.

I have taken to popping those delta 8 gummies to deal with her and just stay mellow with her so she doesn't imagine some "abuse" against her and add it to her journal.
Funny, I went the other direction. I used to be a stoner, but I stopped communing with the mother herb, so I could have a clear mind when I was dealing with my exwBPD.

I forgot to mention she keeps a journal of all my horrible "abuses" like the time I asked why she did all of her laundry but none of mine and appeared annoyed.
As time consuming and sucky as it is, you should start documenting her behavior, as well. If this ever escalates to the legal system, you'll need to counter her evidence with your own. I take screen captures of dysregulated text messages and set them up in PDF documents. Then I send it all to my therapist. I also make recordings of in person conversations if I think there will be a dysregulation. I don't think it's admissible in court, but it does help when she distorts conversations later to fit her own narrative. You can listen back to it and prove to yourself, you never said these things. When I first joined this group, my head was so scrambled from all the gaslighting and blame shifting, that I thought I was the person with BPD.

My friends all speak to me about "getting a good lawyer so that you have full custody" and inside I'm like "oh yeah so she can smear my name and try to destroy my life with all her fantasies and ghost me with my kids for who knows how long" as if BPD people pay close attention to what is legal and who has custody. It's an awful situation but just talking with people like all of you have already made me feel much better. Simply knowing I am not alone and with people who actually understand.

Remember this is about protecting the kids more than protecting yourself. You might want to get some consultations with lawyers to see what they say about how to move forward.

Do you have a therapist? If not you should find one that specializes in couples and co-parenting support. My therapist recognized what was going on very early in our couples sessions. I send them all of the documentation of dysregulations to keep on file. In addition, my therapist was able to recommend me a really good attorney. The advice he provided helped me keep things out of the court system. You are right to want to avoid the legal system if possible. You really don't want to go there if you can avoid it. The horror stories the other members of my support group come in with about court are just awful, and it's expensive. You might not have a choice, though. Your co-parent with BPD sounds very difficult.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 05:44:37 AM by EZEarache » Logged
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest