Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 03:09:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It all happened last week  (Read 3665 times)
ConfusedCanuck

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated for now.

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2022, 10:06:31 AM »

Hmm.   Never really thought about that.

She has multiple affairs. Her tubes are ties. She cant get pregnant. She probably didnt use protection.
Get yourself tested for STDs.
PeteWitsend

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2022, 12:01:00 PM »

CC - go talk to a family law / divorce attorney as well, to understand how to protect yourself and your share of any marital assets if she takes this possible Mania/infidelity too far.
maxsterling

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: living together, engaged

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2022, 02:11:56 PM »

Something interesting has come up, she never told anyone about what she was up to..but now is confiding with her best friend.

Her best friend is telling me things (i know that is bad) and her stories do not add up at all.

The biggest thing, is one of the guys she was seeing over 6 months, she told me it was just sex.  But told her friend that she and him were ready to leave their spouses for each other but he backed out.  Looking back, i can see financial things she was doing to prepare for that.  They seemed small at the time but now it all adds up.

To me, that does not seem like the behavior that someone with BPD would exhibit, or am i wrong?  It just seems like someone unhappy who is trying to leave.

Many here have similar stories - this is typical BPD.  AFAIK, my wife has not had an affair on me.  But she has cheated on exes.  It sounds to me her typical MO was to have someone else lined up and that person was a motivation to leave the current r/s.

GaGrl
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2022, 03:13:27 PM »

My husband's ex is uBPD/NPD. She began infidelities about 18 months into their marriage and continued until she moved out of their shared home after about 22 years. She did not want to divorce -- she put H into a Parent position and somewhat on a pedestal.

That didn't keep her from giving him an STD and later endangering his military career by her blatant behavior.

I'm not sure how much of the sexual behavior was BPD and how much was NPD. One form of NPD is the use of sex for manipulation.

Any time affairs and infidelities arise with a personality disorder, it seems to me an escalation and needs to be examined.

"...what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge."
ConfusedCanuck

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2022, 10:40:31 PM »

Ok, will look into getting tested.

We both see our own therapists this week Thursday.  Hopefully time around i can meet with hers (individually) to find out some stuff, and give him some more info.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2022, 11:15:12 PM »

Stated as a non-professional and not an authority, I believe you can contact and share information with her T, however her T may not be able to respond to you or share with you unless she has granted T her permission.

Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2022, 05:46:50 AM »

It's also up to the T. BPD mother did not give consent for us to communicate with her providers. There were times I tried to provide information and some were willing to listen to me and others were not.

As BPD mother is now elderly, she did sign consents for some of her providers to speak to me but if I contact them, it's brief and relates to her care. It's not for my own feelings.

Keep in mind that if your discussion requires their time- they are professionals and can not be expected to spend a long time with you without compensation and due to whatever confidentiality situation they have- they can not do this.

Some may refuse to avoid a triangulation. For them to be able to help your wife- they need a working relationship with her. She may feel betrayed if they talk to you.

It can't hurt to ask, but they may or may not wish to or be able to speak to you.

ConfusedCanuck

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2022, 09:01:18 AM »

I have already got the ok from both of them.  I will take 15 minutes of one of her 60 minute slots.
ConfusedCanuck

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2022, 11:51:13 AM »

So...i had this meeting last week.  Was very interesting.  Found out she had been lying to him about most stuff.  Grr.

The day before the appointment i took her credit and bank cards away.  She had been spending a bit recklessly for a few days and had to be done.

First she met the therapist. then i came in.  Some small talk, then he said he was very happy with her progress.  I was shocked.  I asked if they talked about her spending and me taking away the cards.  They had not.  Which led to a few other conversations about things not being said.  :-(

She seems to have changed since that meeting, almost being like someone with Dementia.  Hard to explain, but she can no longer do simple tasks, and just says bizarre things out of the blue.  Sometimes true, other times there is a tiny bit of truth, but its all mixed up.
IE, she told me, did you know i got your dog an ear tattoo.  Ok...i was there and that was 12 years ago.  She says, i want to get one on my lower back now.  What? a Tramp Stamp? (sorry if i offend).

Or She really enjoyed what we did last night with so and so..But, that thing she is talking about is 5 years ago, and she has the person wrong.

This last week she has been a handful.   I would say 10-20 odd things happening a day.  But then a friend of hers came over and she snapped right out of it.  Ug..so strange.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2022, 04:18:21 PM »

Is it her way, whether consciously or unconsciously, to confuse you and distract you after that meet with her T and T hearing from the other side?

If she can snap out of it with her friend, then something is there.

SaltyDawg

Relationship status: Moderately High Conflict Marriage (improving)

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2022, 12:37:34 PM »

One of the symptoms according to:  https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/borderline-personality-disorder
Excerpt
Feelings of dissociation, such as feeling cut off from oneself, observing oneself from outside one’s body, or feelings of unreality.
What you described is 'dissociation'.

You need to explore if you can accept the person whom your wife currently is - defects and all.  Also, if she is actively addressing these issues seriously, or just going through the motions.  Use your counselor to sort these feelings out and do what is best for you as there are no children at home.

Based on what you have shared, and if it were me, I personally would cut my losses and run especially as she is not honest with her counselor.  However, do see a 'high conflict' divorce attorney, and follow his / her advise.  Do your homework, on which ones are better.  Change your passwords on financial liability accounts (banking, amazon, etc.).  Do document all of her indiscretions that will hold up in court.

Good luck, I feel for you.  My previous relationship in the late 1990's was eerily similar to what you describe as your current relationship with your wife.  A uNPD&BPDgf/so [undiagnosed NPD & BPD girl friend/significant other], I ran away as fast I could after the 2nd time I found out she was unfaithful to me.  However, I did jump from the proverbial 'fire' to the comparative safety of the 'frying pan' and I am currently with a uBPDw who projects herself as the perfect church lady while I am the f- up sailor who married her.

I am a sucker to be a caretaker of the BPD/NPD and have found the following book most helpful in dealing with my emotions and how to deal with the partner, I highly recommended reading the following book:  Stop Caretaking the Borderline Or Narcissist: How to End the Drama and Get on with Life by Margalis Fjelstad

ConfusedCanuck

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2022, 09:04:30 PM »

Not sure why i keep this going, but going to post a little update...

She got out of the institute last week.  And on Friday it was our 28th anniversary.  So we went out for a dinner and to a football game.  Things were going well, she was happy, a bit off, but happy.  Then I ran into an old guy friend and started talking, she walked off a bit and met a guy..froma  short distance i watch as she touched his arm, shared a beer with him and touched his back.  I went over and said lets go.  She kissed him and whispered in his ear.  I found out later what  she whispered to him about wanting to have sex with him.   So the next day i told her it was time to leave.  This might be the last time.  I could not believe this happened right in front of me..on what seemed to be a good night and our anniversary. 
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2022, 09:50:25 PM »

I have no words, CC. Sex-love addiction? What did she say and what are you going to do?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
SaltyDawg

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2022, 06:40:02 AM »

CC,

I am going to try and connect the dots; hopefully, you can see the full picture here...

• Not sure why i keep this going,  Sounds like Trauma Bond Codependency -- check this out with your Therapist

• She got out of the institute last week.   She has just completed the most intense treatment available, so she should be on the 'mend'; however, ...

• I found out later what she whispered to him about wanting to have sex with him.   So the next day i told her it was time to leave.  This might be the last timeI could not believe this happened right in front of me..on what seemed to be a good night and our anniversary.

Start believing! 

Your "Wise Mind" needs to listen more to your "Logical/Reasonable Mind" and less to your "Emotional Mind", talk to your Therapist, make a decision, and then fully commit on a course of action as you have seemingly done all you can with a full hospitalization.  Is she in PHP [partial hospitalization protocol] or IO [intensive outpatient] -- this is usual 'weening' process from full institutionalization?  If, "yes" to either of those, discuss with their teams of therapists what went on during your anniversary, if your 'gut feeling' indicates that that would be helpful.

If, I were in your shoes, I would contact an attorney, protect whatever assets I could [I am actively documenting -- see my other posts on the issue], and then follow the advise of that attorney [do not let your wife know you are doing this] -- that is what I want to do now with my wife, and my situation is less extreme than yours; however, there are children in my mix, so I cannot do that to the children.

ForeverDad
Retired Staff

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2022, 02:31:38 PM »

She just was released from [what I'll call rehab].  With that thought in mind, when alcoholics or drug addicts exit rehab, what is their greatest risk?  That they relapse into prior patterns.  They really can change, but it takes immense determination.  She was just released and this happens.  Does she want to change?

While you do care for her, it may be time to let her live her own life.  You can't force her to be faithful just as you can't force her to be mentally healthy.  This is not to say you can't choose to continue being her lifestyle guardian but then the question would be whether you can do it and still feel emotionally healthy.

What you can do is to structure her finances as she "moves on" to wherever in such a way they last for as long as possible.

ConfusedCanuck

« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2022, 09:01:25 AM »

Thanks everyone.

So much happens in a day in my life right now i can hardly keep up.

Currently she is living with her parents, two weeks now. They can't handle her and she needs to leave.  I am looking at apartments, but we are not sure she can make it on her own.  She can't cook now, doesn't shower, has memory and cognitive problems.  And now lies so much to everyone..pathological.  The other option is for her to come home.  She wants to go back to mental institute but they will not take her back again.

She went for a DBT program appraisal i guess its called, but apparently they won't let her in as they say she is not capable of doing that at this point.  Sadly, the DBT Therapist won't give me any details until my wife gives her permission to talk to me.  Hopefully in this next weeks appointment we can change that.

Has anyone else seen problems that are almost dementia like?  She can hardly remember things from the same day, and keeps getting time lines mixed up.  Thinking something happened yesterday that was years ago.  She also says very confusing things..ie..out for lunch with a friend and says, "i hate that this place put thousand island dressing on the casaer salad"  at a place she has never been to before.  After being told they wouldn't, she still asks that waitress not to do that.   There are so many little examples of that every day.  Getting into someones truck after leaving a grocery store with a friend...when they came in a car, and none of the family even has a truck.

ConfusedCanuck

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2022, 08:34:48 AM »

My sis in law did a cognitive test on my wife.  Sis in law is a nurse, and its a test they do on patients being admitted to a care home.  She scored fairly low.  Failed questions like:

what day of the week is it,
what month is it,
spell a word backwards,
fold a piece of paper in half
write a sentence
draw a simple image of two shapes to match a diagram provided
read a sentence out loud then do what it said (Smile after reading this sentence)

Still wondering if the cognitive issues and memory issues are BPD are something all together different.
Also of note, my wife was told it was a simple test, she did not ask what it tested.  When it was done, she did not ask her score or even how she did.  Just went on with her day.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 08:47:45 AM by ConfusedCanuck » Logged
ConfusedCanuck

« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2022, 08:28:13 AM »

Moved her into an apartment.  Not sure if this is best or not but will see how things go.

Scored a 19/30 on the McCA test.  Not good.   More and more talk of BPD plus something else that is affecting short and long term memory, as well as cognitive issues.  Maybe some sorta of early on set dementia?  More tests to come.
SaltyDawg

« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2022, 10:53:55 AM »

ConfusedCanuck,

I feel for you, I am reading your posts, but don't quite know what to say. 

You are in my thoughts and prayers, just wanted to let you know as you are going through a very tough time.

SD

ConfusedCanuck

« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2022, 10:57:05 AM »

Thanks.  Its all so messed up.  We need to get some brain scans done i think, but here in Canada there is a long wait.  Might have to go down to the US or Mexico even to get something done quicker.

IE we have an appointment with her Dr, in two months.  That is the soonest we can get.  He will then send her for a scan, which will have another waiting period..likely months.   grrr.

SaltyDawg

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2022, 05:59:27 AM »

I feel your pain.  As much as the US medical system is messed up, over-priced, limited access, if you have the resources [$$$], you can get anything you want fairly quickly, as that is capitalism at its best versus public health in Canada and other UK countries.

One thought came to mind which may or may not be relevant, and my train of thought is a tangent to your train of thought, if the mild cognitive impairment that seems to be recent and the symptoms presented somewhat suddenly  [e.g. one day she was fine, and the next day she wasn't].  Have mini-stroke(s) been considered, as that could possibly induce some of the symptoms that you are witnessing?  I would imagine if you mention that, and your medical professionals are in agreement, it might get your wife more immediate attention for a brain scan as it would become higher priority.

For limited public resources, it often comes down to how you word the truth that will determine how much priority is assigned to it.

I will give an example in the US, if you discover that you have been robbed of let say a bicycle [but don't tell them that you see the bicycle being ridden by some punk kid the next street over], and call 911 to report it.  They may eventually send someone out to get a police report sometime that day, or even later on in the week, if ever.  However, if you tell them you have been robbed and use the key words to the dispatcher of "in progress" [similar in immediate effect to triggering a borderline] saying that your robbed of your bicycle, and you also tell them that it is in progress as you see the punk kid that stole it is riding it -- you will likely get immediate attention to the matter.

ConfusedCanuck

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2022, 10:07:49 PM »

Thanks..yeah that makes sense.

I may actually bring her to emergency tomorrow.  Family has told me she can no longer take her meds on her own. Today  she took two days worth.  They are blister packed and she only has a weeks worth at the apartment.  I think she might wake up from a nap and be confused and take the next days pills.  She cannot keep track of the days it seems. 

So depending on how things go tomorrow, i may that her into emergency and see a DR and try to get some scans ASAP.  I am also looking hard at Mexico and might take a little trip in the next few weeks.

RisingAboveAll

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Newly broken up

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2022, 11:50:28 PM »

I want to chime in to say that my pwBPD ex also was hypersexual. She usually wanted to have sex several times a day, and in between she would go in the bedroom or bathroom alone and masturbate. It's an addictive behavior like any other. I feel sick that I let myself believe our sex life was about love and affection, when I understand now it was her attempt to regulate her emotional state. Like cutting, like getting high, like risky behavior. She couldnt go a few hours without an intense sensation or the numbing of sensation.
SaltyDawg

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2022, 05:48:26 AM »

CC - Please keep us updated, as that is very concerning.

Paragraph header (click to insert in post)  potentially triggering sexual content below  Paragraph header (click to insert in post)

RAA - That's a bit extreme.  My wife, when we first met, until we conceived our first child she wanted "it" every day we were together (just about 5 years), and then went cold turkey.  My #1 love language is 'physical touch' so she was ringing my bell every day - ideally I like it twice maybe three times a week; however, for her it was every day we were together [except during menses] It was 7 times per week, and then 7 times in a decade (a 500x difference) -- No BS. 

The only plausible theory [guess], I am going to use a slang term of "Daddy Issues" as my mind's ANTs do not want to think of it in reality.  I will be addressing these ANTs soon with my individual T now that my pwBPD is finally self-aware.

When we first met, there were a few days that it was higher; however, if she was overstimulated [too many times, or I took too long and teased her 'spot' for too long, as I wanted to maximize her pleasure], her nervous system would kind of 'short out' from too much pleasure and she could no longer have the big "O" and there would be a mental/physical manifestation of dissociation/detachment from the 'spot' to the mind - the last listed symptom of BPD until she returned to baseline.   I am curious if anyone else here has observed this?

ForeverDad
Retired Staff

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2022, 06:38:40 PM »

For a decade we were intimate frequently.  One thing that didn't make sense was she almost always wore sweats to bed.  I felt it wasn't conducive to our comfort.

Then we had a child.  Oh my, having a child doesn't fix serious mental health problems, it vastly complicates them later with custody and parenting schedules.

Then he reached the age when her own sexual terrors started when her mother met the future child abuser.  Yikes, I knew about this but now I was a (good) husband which she couldn't separate from her mother's (bad) husband.  For years I was so thankful we had a son, imagine how much worse (her allegations of child abuse against me) would have been if we had a daughter!

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest