Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 01:23:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How can I make the situation better?  (Read 194 times)
PringleAddict123
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: In a relationship

« on: September 28, 2022, 09:22:39 AM »

My boyfriend and I have been in an intense relationship for sometime now. We have many highs and many lows… never neutral grounds.

We run into small arguments that started at least once every fortnight and now it’s every week sometimes everyday.
We have been dating long distance for sometime now and there are even talks of moving closer to one another but I’m not so sure considering his behaviour when we’re visiting one another once a month.

Over the phone we get into minor disagreements however, in person the arguments will last hours. I really try to be the bigger person and ask “how do I fix this in the future” or apologise first or when he asks me for an explanation on why I did something, he would blow it out of proportion and lecture me for hours at a time then stone wall me or request for space.

Just this week (it’s Wednesday where I am) we had two disagreements… one he broke up with me over… I’m currently in his state and one day he asked me for space indirectly, as I was confused, I began asking him for clarity and then once I finally understood he needed space I decided to go to the mall on my own. 30 minutes later he texts me telling me he can’t do this relationship, packs my suitcase and tells me to come and get it. Since I knew it was impulsive on his end, I decided to be calm, except the breakup however as soon as I met him to get my suitcase he was telling me he won’t give me my suitcase and that I should get in the car and he will take me to my sisters place. I didn’t want to do that and just wanted to get my bag and leave.. he started raising his voice in public making ultimatums and holding my bag in his possession… this was by far the most embarrassing moment of my life - this was on Monday.

Fast forward to today (Wednesday) after sitting down with him he told me he feels smothered and asked me for less time together (mind you we only talk for at least 1 hr everyday and in person I’m not even at his home full time, maybe 3x a week)… I respected his decision regardless. Being that I’m in his city for a limited time, I asked him which days and hours he would be comfortable to see me as I am confused now that he asked for less time together, he snapped at me again telling me that I should not be confused as we spoke about this (we didn’t go into depth). So I decided to just lay back and not react too much. Since there are a few things I wanted to do with him, I decided to call a friend instead to go out with during the time we aren’t together. I told him I’m going out later with a friend and he was all fine with it until I mentioned he was male (we have spoken about opposite gendered friends and we know which boundaries not to cross). He began yelling, telling me I’m being manipulative for using his request for space against him by going out with a male friend. He then said I should take the day to think about if I want to be in this relationship or not. I was confused… I told him I would cancel the hangout I planned and explained that I just wanted company going out instead of going alone (I know only 3 people in this city). He still didn’t believe me and told me my explanation was not making sense and that I don’t value the relationship. I later on decided to reassure him via text again to which he has begun stone walling me and told me he wants space…

I’ve observed that asking general questions, asking for clarity, telling him I’m confused or not reacting as he expected during time of conflict is something that triggers him.

I don’t know how to behave anymore and I’m generally just confused… I know he is a great man he just has his flaws as we all do but I don’t know how to handle this…

Sorry for my super long submission

With love,
Pringles x
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 12:16:56 PM »

It sounds like he has limited coping skills for emotional intimacy. How do you envision this relationship in the future? What are you hoping for?

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest