Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 11:34:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurt after online encounter with probable narcissist  (Read 251 times)
Sappho11

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: December 24, 2022, 01:49:45 PM »

Sometimes it doesn't help that you can spot them. Sorry, rant incoming.

There's one social media platform that I use anonymously and I merely hinted that I was somewhat unhappy that I was spending Christmas alone. (Context: Orphaned at age 6, had no living relatives, grew up in broken foster homes, got myself a scholarship at a school, then studied and made something out of my life regardless. Spent years, even decades, without so much as a hug from anyone, and Christmas always reminds me that other people are part of a profound social net which I am not. My entire life has been a struggle against this isolation, and for decades I've been working myself to the marrow doing EVERYTHING to connect with other people – eventually leading to that BPD relationship which brought me here to this board.)

So some narcissistic idiot on that social media platform responded with a platitude along the lines of "you feel alone, but you aren't alone". I said something like thanks, but that that wasn't really helpful at the moment, happy Christmas anyway.

This stranger then went into full devaluation mode and kept telling me how it was my fault that I was alone, that I should connect with people more and that my isolation was self-chosen. I responded that it wasn't, and he said that my "whining" was "disgusting" and that he was going to block me. And then he blocked me before I could even reply.

I've already been having a PLEASE READty day, what with it being Christmas Eve and my not seeing anyone for the next four or five days, and I just broke down in tears. It was such a vile thing to read and the straw that broke the camel's back.

What an arse do you have to be to tell someone with no living relatives that they've "chosen it"? And on Christmas Eve?

And why? Because I didn't react with unbridled gratitude to his stupid invalidating comment.

I really hate these cluster-B people. Just lock them all up and never let them out again.

Rant over. Merry Christmas everyone.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 09:49:04 PM »

Communication by platitude, so Invalidating, not to mention the following nastiness, uncalled for.

As an adopted kid (by a single, BPD mother) and introvert,  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

Merry Christmas.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
SinisterComplex
Senior Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 06:11:26 PM »

Sappho, how are you doing now dear?

Cheers and best wishes!

-SC-

Through Adversity There is Redemption!
Tupla Sport

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Single

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 11:58:50 PM »

So some narcissistic idiot on that social media platform responded with a platitude along the lines of "you feel alone, but you aren't alone". I said something like thanks, but that that wasn't really helpful at the moment, happy Christmas anyway.

Maybe it's about having a sliver of cognitive empathy but I'm always amazed when you open up to someone and they think pulling out a generic "Maybe it simply wasn't meant to be/You need to zoom out and look at the big picture/etc." response will be of any goddamn use.

And how they get triggered when I go "well yeah thank you but you do realize that doesn't help at all does it".

Would much rather take a humble "I'm sorry you're feeling so down". But no, they need the dopamine from telling someone off, even when it's wrapped in a polite package. That's what I think it is: a passive-aggressive put-down much of the time.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest