Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 11:43:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: isolation  (Read 299 times)
1LuckyDog

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« on: January 17, 2023, 03:27:08 PM »

I have a question about isolating?
My daughter stays in her room almost all day. She barely acknowledges me or her father unless we directly address her; ask her to join us for dinner, or if she is alone in the house to please look after our pet. She takes no interest in any activity we are engaged in.
This is a trigger point for me and she knows it. We have discussed this. I have told her I don't think it is healthy.   I have learned to just let her stay in her room. She uses this after being rejected from job interviews and dating. I know she doesn't want to discuss any of this with me because I will try to put a spin on this she doesn't want to hear.
I am the one who seems to be most worried.
She was fired back in October and has only been on 1 interview; although she says she is applying on line. All of her friends have been ignoring her. The only contact she has is through her phone.
Should I continue to just ignore this situation?
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 03:55:13 PM »

Hi 1luckydog,

That's tricky. I think you mentioned in a previous post that your daughter is an adult? Can I ask how old she is -- younger side, like 18, or older?

Are there any "house rules" for her living with you? Chores or other responsibilities? If so, how does she do with those?

How is her cleanliness, both for herself (personal hygiene) and for her space?

Just trying to get a feel for how much is "normal young adult" self-centeredness/obliviousness (I've been there done that) vs disordered behaviors. Could be both. Also, sometimes a young person's coping skills are pretty limited, so staying alone in her room on her phone might be "the best she can do" at the moment. Not ideal, I get it.

I'll wait to hear a little more from you before we keep brainstorming. I can mention that my DH has two kids (my stepdaughters ages 14 & 16), and some days I just wish that I could take those smartphones and throw them away!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest