Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 09:32:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I could use some help...  (Read 918 times)
yellowbutterfly

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: divorcing

« on: February 06, 2023, 09:03:00 AM »

I had a horrible dream last night about my stbx H. It involved circumstances where I thought he was going to kill me, which actually happened in real life this summer. So, the scariest part was despite this being a dream with some differences, it did happen to me.

I woke up in a panic attack, like a PTSD episode. It was horrible. I've been struggling ever since this morning and could use a kind word or two. Unfortunately, my T doesn't work until tomorrow.
cranmango

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: broken up

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 10:13:59 AM »

Hi butterfly—what a terrible dream (and memory), I’m so sorry. Can you try grounding yourself? When I wake up from terrible dreams I try to focus for a moment on the feeling of physical sensations at each part of my body (the feeling of my mattress, pillow, etc). When that doesn’t work I get an ice pack from the freezer and hold it against the back of my neck. It helps brings attention away from the thoughts and instead to the physical feeling of the cold.

Dreams are just dreams, the can’t hurt you. Thoughts are just thoughts. These feelings hurt right now, but they will pass.

Glad you can talk to T tomorrow. Hang in there for today.
yellowbutterfly

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 11:52:53 AM »

Hi cranmango,

thank you for responding, it helps so much just to know someone is listening. I was able to do a grounding exercise on my meditation app after I cried a bit. Very startling experience to wake up like that.

My day is going better but it's still haunting me. I think I'll take a walk in a bit to get some fresh air. The cool compress idea is great!
SinisterComplex
Senior Ambassador

Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 02:30:51 PM »

We are here for you YB. You share and vent to your heart's content.  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

Cheers and Best Wishes!

-SC-

Through Adversity There is Redemption!
SaltyDawg

Relationship status: Moderately High Conflict Marriage (improving)

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 02:50:22 PM »

I had a horrible dream last night about my stbx H. It involved circumstances where I thought he was going to kill me, which actually happened in real life this summer. So, the scariest part was despite this being a dream with some differences, it did happen to me.

I woke up in a panic attack, like a PTSD episode. It was horrible. I've been struggling ever since this morning and could use a kind word or two. Unfortunately, my T doesn't work until tomorrow.

Definitely bring this up to your T tomorrow.  It may have been a 'flash back' which is a characteristic of c/PTSD.  Dreams are your mind's way of reviewing memories, and I am sure it was very impactful to you.

Sending you virtual hugs.   Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

Take care, and continue doing self-care.

yellowbutterfly

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 03:35:04 PM »

Yeah, I'm pretty certain it was a dream/flashback PTSD. I'm glad I have my T tomorrow as this has set me off all day not being able to work or get too much done. Though I'm doing some self-care and meeting myself where I am right now.

Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
SaltyDawg

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 01:50:23 AM »

Thanks for the update, let me know how the session went.

Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

NarcsEverywhere

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Living Together

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 10:28:55 PM »

Dreams can shake me to my core. I know when my Mom passed, some of them really horrified me, and brought up some feelings I was not processing in the day time. They are a good way to process things, to help you heal. That being said, it can feel pretty overwhelming to deal with sometimes. Sounds like you have a good attitude about it, hope you feel better.
yellowbutterfly

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 05:37:47 PM »

Hi all, thanks for responding the other day. I was able to see my T and go to my group as well. Very helpful.

It was definitely PTSD flashback - I talked to my T about how to stay grounded. It was also reassuring to hear others in my group T have had similar experiences and we talked about how they handle them.

Wow, was it scary at the time. I do know it's likely to happen again during this healing process but now I know to oddly expect it in a way.

Feeling rather down this week so I'm trying to do some self-care: pilates, hot baths, and giving myself time to process.

SaltyDawg

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2023, 10:01:38 PM »

Wow, was it scary at the time. I do know it's likely to happen again during this healing process but now I know to oddly expect it in a way.

'Expect the unexpected'

Feeling rather down this week so I'm trying to do some self-care: pilates, hot baths, and giving myself time to process.

Best thing you can do for yourself:  Self-Care.

yellowbutterfly

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2023, 01:40:23 PM »

I am having panic attacks and PTSD flashbacks. Not doing great. Luckily I have T today
SaltyDawg

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2023, 04:06:45 PM »

I am having panic attacks and PTSD flashbacks. Not doing great. Luckily I have T today

Sending you a virtual hug while you are 'not doing great'.   Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

Self-care.  Going to your own individual therapist.  Venting here.  Exercising, ideally outside.  Getting lost in a book/move/tv show.  Pampering yourself, hot shower, getting your nails done, going out with friends, etc. 

Don't ruminate and lament alone at home, that will make things worse.

Take care.

yellowbutterfly

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2023, 07:25:18 PM »

Thanks SD! I ran some errands, walked, and then a friend came over for dinner. Helps so much.

Sad part is, I'm not sitting around at home. It's when I'm out/trying to work or at random. Or in the middle of the night. Arg.

I am going to meditate before bed tonight!  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
SinisterComplex
Senior Ambassador

Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 07:36:10 PM »

Thanks SD! I ran some errands, walked, and then a friend came over for dinner. Helps so much.

Sad part is, I'm not sitting around at home. It's when I'm out/trying to work or at random. Or in the middle of the night. Arg.

I am going to meditate before bed tonight!  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

Keep your head up YB. Just focus on dealing with things as they come and focus on what you can control and what is in your control. Just don't let it hit you like a freight train and then allow the avalanche to happen. Stay in the moment and just let things process and work themselves out.

We are here for you.  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

Cheers and Best Wishes!  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

-SC-

Through Adversity There is Redemption!
I Am Redeemed
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2023, 08:29:44 PM »

Meditation before bed is great for ptsd. I try doing it every night. I used to do it every morning, too, but I slipped out of that over the busy holiday months.

I like doing meditations that focus on the breath and deep breathing. My T got me started on deep breathing three years ago and I have to remind myself to keep doing it because I get caught up in all the responsibilities and stress I have and I get tense, which makes my ptsd worse. When I stop and take time to do the deep breathing, it helps reset my limbic system from fight/flight/freeze to “rest and digest”.

We are more than just our stories.
yellowbutterfly

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2023, 10:17:19 PM »

So accurate! I've been trying to do some mediation/deep breathing exercises each day. I was really good about it a few months ago and saw great strides with it. Now my PTSD is actually settling in and so I need to keep up the toolkit of things that help.

How long have you struggled with PTSD? It is really hard, isn't it? This is my first-year experience with it.
SaltyDawg

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2023, 12:01:26 AM »

Sending more hugs.   Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

Here is a brief list of things from the Mayo Clinic that may also be helpful:

Excerpt
Coping and support
If stress and other problems caused by a traumatic event affect your life, see your doctor or mental health professional. You can also take these actions as you continue with treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder:

• Follow your treatment plan. Although it may take a while to feel benefits from therapy or medications, treatment can be effective, and most people do recover. Remind yourself that it takes time. Following your treatment plan and routinely communicating with your mental health professional will help move you forward.
  • Learn about PTSD. This knowledge can help you understand what you're feeling, and then you can develop coping strategies to help you respond effectively.
  • Take care of yourself. Get enough rest, eat a healthy diet, exercise and take time to relax. Try to reduce or avoid caffeine and nicotine, which can worsen anxiety.
  • Don't self-medicate. Turning to alcohol or drugs to numb your feelings isn't healthy, even though it may be a tempting way to cope. It can lead to more problems down the road, interfere with effective treatments and prevent real healing.
  • Break the cycle. When you feel anxious, take a brisk walk or jump into a hobby to re-focus.
  • Stay connected. Spend time with supportive and caring people — family, friends, faith leaders or others. You don't have to talk about what happened if you don't want to. Just sharing time with loved ones can offer healing and comfort.
  • Consider a support group. Ask your mental health professional for help finding a support group, or contact veterans' organizations or your community's social services system. Or look for local support groups in an online directory.

I Am Redeemed
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2023, 07:22:46 AM »

So accurate! I've been trying to do some mediation/deep breathing exercises each day. I was really good about it a few months ago and saw great strides with it. Now my PTSD is actually settling in and so I need to keep up the toolkit of things that help.

How long have you struggled with PTSD? It is really hard, isn't it? This is my first-year experience with it.

I’ve experienced over 40 years of various traumas, ranging from my mother’s suicide attempt when I was 2 to emotional abuse and neglect as a child, to witnessing the murder of one of my friends and surviving two abusive relationships as an adult. My T thinks I probably had ptsd years ago, as a teen or early 20’s. I wasn’t diagnosed until I was in my early 40’s. It was coming to these boards in 2018 that made me realize I probably had complex ptsd, and that was later confirmed after I started trauma therapy.

I don’t struggle as much as I did, but I still struggle, particularly if I don’t take the time to use the tools to manage my symptoms.

We are more than just our stories.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest