Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 09:19:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple personalities  (Read 406 times)
Gutt3rSnipe

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken Up

« on: February 25, 2023, 02:05:21 AM »

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone had similar stories relating to their pwBPD seemingly multiple personalities they could exhibit.

To start, one of the strangest things I noticed is that some of her personalities she showed were ‘meaner’ than others. The one personality she had when she was around a certain friend was wicked. I didn’t even want to be around her when she was with her.
Now the personality she put on when she met my parents for the first time was completely opposite. She was the nicest and most respectful person I’ve ever seen. It was beyond strange seeing that for myself, as they really do seem like  different people trapped in the same persons body. Different voice, accent, mannerisms, tone, and body language among other differences. Stranger still she seemed completely oblivious to it too.

She even had one for me she’d bring out occasionally before I was devalued. I called her “sweet *her name*”. She would get this look in her eyes of complete and total love for me and change her voice to a very soft one. I thought it was cute then albeit strange, but in hindsight knowing she has bpd I see it differently now. It’s unbelievable how different they can act around different people.
Red5

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 11:53:54 AM »

Hello Gutt,

Yes, I have seen what you describe.

From what I have read, ... this is called "DID" Dissociative Identity Disorder (?)...

Used to be referred to as 'multiple personality disorder',

I think it is a defensive mechanism, ... more of that 'wounded inner child stuff' I think.

It is quite weird (unnerving), ... when me and wife w/bpd/npd would fight, ... I would do something wrong, she would dysregulate (start to meltdown), ... and at the time, I knew no better, I would 'feed into it' ... and fight back (fight-flight-freeze-fawn), ... and in mere seconds, she would seem to become a petulant teenager, ... or else even younger (FOO issues perhaps), ... so I triggered her, and she deployed her go to emotion, which was anger (always), ... at that point (which you must use the tools talked about here on this site), ... at that point, you are not going to get her to agree, calm down, or else be the perceived adult you see in front of you, ... so be careful, don't make it worse by trying to get her to agree with you, or fight your way out of it.

Link~> https://bpdfamily.com/content/ending-conflict

Also, the abrupt change in her mannerisms, can also be used (by her) iot attempt to control you.

How does it go?
*manipulation-intimidation-domination-control*

There is a whole lot to this 'control' thing with bpd/npd, ... lots to learn.

~Red

“We are so used to our own history, we do not see it as remarkable or out of the ordinary, whereas others might see it as horrendous. Further, we tend to minimize that which we feel shameful about.” {Quote} Patrick J. Carnes / author,
Gutt3rSnipe

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 12:58:51 PM »

Hello Gutt,

Yes, I have seen what you describe.

From what I have read, ... this is called "DID" Dissociative Identity Disorder (?)...

Used to be referred to as 'multiple personality disorder',

I think it is a defensive mechanism, ... more of that 'wounded inner child stuff' I think.

It is quite weird (unnerving), ... when me and wife w/bpd/npd would fight, ... I would do something wrong, she would dysregulate (start to meltdown), ... and at the time, I knew no better, I would 'feed into it' ... and fight back (fight-flight-freeze-fawn), ... and in mere seconds, she would seem to become a petulant teenager, ... or else even younger (FOO issues perhaps), ... so I triggered her, and she deployed her go to emotion, which was anger (always), ... at that point (which you must use the tools talked about here on this site), ... at that point, you are not going to get her to agree, calm down, or else be the perceived adult you see in front of you, ... so be careful, don't make it worse by trying to get her to agree with you, or fight your way out of it.

Link~> https://bpdfamily.com/content/ending-conflict

Also, the abrupt change in her mannerisms, can also be used (by her) iot attempt to control you.

How does it go?
*manipulation-intimidation-domination-control*

There is a whole lot to this 'control' thing with bpd/npd, ... lots to learn.

~Red

Wow thanks for sharing and the info. Is dissociative identity thing a symptom of BPD or is it its own separate disorder? I’ve heard that it can result from a poor sense of self and who they are. They don’t have a core personality of their own so they use different ones for different situations. I think I’ve read that somewhere about pwBPD.
Red5

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 01:48:25 PM »

Is dissociative identity thing a symptom of BPD or is it its own separate disorder?

I’ve heard that it can result from a poor sense of self and who they are.

They don’t have a core personality of their own so they use different ones for different situations.

I think I’ve read that somewhere about pwBPD.

Hey Gutt,

It may be "comorbid", ... when a person has more than one 'pd', ...

I think most of the disorders, not all, but most (imo) stem from early abuse (childhood), ... so the poor sense of self, or lack of self esteem is a result of earlier abuse, ... so right back to the 'wounded inner child' thing right.

Why do people have low to zero self esteem?, ... think if you were raised (feral) by an abusive, alcoholic father, and even a mother (both), ... maybe you got the $hit beat out of you everyday, no food, told your were stupid, lazy, worthless, ... well there you go, now you got no self esteem, and also probably a good (bad) case of CPTSD too, ... when you were a kid, you did whatever you could do to survive, ... if alcoholic father said, "I wish you were a girl", or ... "I wish you were more like your older brother" (whom may be dead), ... that forces the kid to try to be what the abusive father wanted, iot survive, stop the beatings, maybe get to eat some food, ... the poor kid is always trying to "please" the monster father, or mother, or the mother "next in line" boyfriend, ... but he never will (malignant narcissist sociopathic abuser ?), ... this stuff is deep man, ... this person whom was abused, had a "bad program" downloaded into their personality, and that kid hangs onto it into adult life, and uses the program to "survive" stresses now, in their adult life.

The person whom was abused, and is now a person with bpd/npd, ... it isn't their fault, that's the catch-22, ... that's who they are, and they are not likely to ever change, only extreme ability to seek personal introspection, due to a life (come to Jesus) moment may trigger "change seeking", ... but most never will.

And now, we are in a relationship/marriage with this person, ... and when the times get hard, and they dysregulate, we actually become their abuser, to them, .. because they are in that bad program survival mode again, ... in their minds, ... and that's how they may try to cope, deal with any confrontation, or else other negativity, either perceived, or real (threat?), ... with us.

That is the 'crux', ... so what do we do, ... that is the million dollar question man.

I been married two times now, still in marriage #2, ... my first wife was a CSA victim, and it (that) childhood trauma (she is 55 now), to this very day is what she lives, how she reacts to any life issues, conflicts, ... the trauma that she suffered as a little girl, that little girl is still running the show.

Wife #2, ... she is an extremely angry person, ... it is whom she is, anger is her defensive mechanism, ... this is her "go to emotion", ... something happened to her too, ... I have been told little bits and pieces over the years, ... by her (when she was drinking), as well her FOO (slips of information), ... #2 will be 56 this year, ... and slowly, and painfully, she is pushing everyone who "loves" her away, ...

Anyways, ... 'DID' is a diagnoses (DSMV) as far as I know, ... as is BPD, & NPD (cluster B).

Like the "Beth" character on Yellowstone, uses alcohol to "get through her day", ... she is a classic example imho, ... a very angry person, "don't ever get on Beth's bad side",...wow... and WOW again, ... a great portrayal of a disordered person right there.

'Core Personality'
*self esteem*
*belief system*
*life experiences*
*foundational core (childhood)*

How many times we hear, "they are MT inside", ... "they are like a bucket with a hole in the bottom", ... "they have no sense of self", ...
*splitting*
*pushing away*
*anger always*
*fear of abandonment*
*black and white thinking*
*risky behaviors*

...on and on and on...

~Red

“We are so used to our own history, we do not see it as remarkable or out of the ordinary, whereas others might see it as horrendous. Further, we tend to minimize that which we feel shameful about.” {Quote} Patrick J. Carnes / author,
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2023, 09:27:06 PM »

Yes, My ex did change and act more like a teenager, which made sense since at 31, her Beau was 21, so she mirrored him to bond.

DID is a specific thing and it isn't a trait of BPD. It's more this

BEHAVIORS: Dissociation and Dysphoria

My PsychD referred to her behaviors coming from a dis-intregrated personality. Given the poorly differentiated sense of self common with pwBPD, it made sense.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest