Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 11:03:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Severe depression after pwbpd breakup  (Read 396 times)
Gutt3rSnipe

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken Up

« on: March 05, 2023, 05:01:18 PM »

Hey guys, I’d be lying if I said I was talking this breakdown of my last relationship with my bpd ex well. I already had pretty bad MDD before this so what happened hit me even harder I believe. I barely sleep or eat and I’m have a hard time motivating myself to do literally anything. Having the women you thought was the love of your life turn on/ditch you for some else for no coherent reason is something like I’ve never experienced before.

I already have an appointment to start therapy soon but it’s still a decent wait away. In the meantime I’m curious, did anyone else experience crippling depression after your bpd relationship nightmare? If so, what are things you did to help yourself? Thanks.
capecodling

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 05:28:55 PM »

Yes, absolutely.  I went through many of the same things that you describe.  Can you provide a bit more information?  How recently was your breakup?  Was it all of the sudden (a shock) or did you go through a lot of devaluation cycles and see it coming?   With my most recent one I went through about 3 months of severe depression, anxiety, and looping thoughts post breakup, even with NC.   It took an enormous amount of energy just to start each day.
Gutt3rSnipe

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 06:05:42 PM »

Yes, absolutely.  I went through many of the same things that you describe.  Can you provide a bit more information?  How recently was your breakup?  Was it all of the sudden (a shock) or did you go through a lot of devaluation cycles and see it coming?   With my most recent one I went through about 3 months of severe depression, anxiety, and looping thoughts post breakup, even with NC.   It took an enormous amount of energy just to start each day.

The official discard was 17 days ago. We’ve been in a relationship for 5 months total before that. The last two was her devaluation stage, and I’d hardly call what we had during that time a relationship. Everything was pretty good prior to one date I forgot about. After that missed date, I went from her absolute dream she was in love with guy, to just a guy, If that makes sense.

From that day forward the devaluation got progressively stronger and stronger no matter what I did, until she discarded me for her ex fiancée. I definitely saw it coming but I didn’t expect her to leave me for the guy she was with before me though. She talked so bad about him to me a lot. My guess is he is her favorite person that was painted black when she met me. I was his replacement until she painted me and went back.

How did you eventually recover from that crippling depression you was in for those months? Did your ex ever try to contact you during that time? I hear often from others they do that for various reasons.

capecodling

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 08:33:24 AM »

The official discard was 17 days ago. We’ve been in a relationship for 5 months total before that. The last two was her devaluation stage, and I’d hardly call what we had during that time a relationship. Everything was pretty good prior to one date I forgot about. After that missed date, I went from her absolute dream she was in love with guy, to just a guy, If that makes sense.

From that day forward the devaluation got progressively stronger and stronger no matter what I did, until she discarded me for her ex fiancée. I definitely saw it coming but I didn’t expect her to leave me for the guy she was with before me though. She talked so bad about him to me a lot. My guess is he is her favorite person that was painted black when she met me. I was his replacement until she painted me and went back.

How did you eventually recover from that crippling depression you was in for those months? Did your ex ever try to contact you during that time? I hear often from others they do that for various reasons.

Yes, one of the things that makes BPD breakups so hard is how the love-bombing and devaluation cycle hijacks your brain into falling hard for the person and creates that trauma bond which can be stubborn to let go after the relationship ends.  Then you get hit again on the back end if the discard is extra sudden and “shocking” because the sudden shock will cause that breakup to be even more traumatic and its actually been shown to make the breakup harder and longer to get over.

So there are 2 different approaches one can take towards addressing the depression that results from such sudden trauma and loss: 1) work on healing the trauma bond and 2) work on reducing the depression directly.  I am doing both.

Here are the things I do for addressing the depression directly:  

1) daily meditation.
2) daily wim hof breathwork and cold exposure (cold shower or ice bath - shown to help depression)
3) daily strenuous workout, i do mostly weight lifting.
4) i changed my diet to a rather extreme healthy diet.
5) nofap and general dopamine fasting.
6) supplementation with natural supplements shown to help depression (you can also talk to doctor about antidepressants if you want)
7) being sure to allow yourself to feel pain and not numb out the pain, the nofap and dopamine detox helps with that.  In fact when you are in touch with your feelings like sorrow, it actually makes it really easy to stick to nofap.  I found fapping was essentially dopamine chasing to numb out pain.  That discovery was gigantic for my healing.
8) Talking with friends and family

For addressing the trauma bond i am doing:

1) daily EFT tapping with FasterEFT technique.
2) weekly EMDR therapy / talk therapy to identify and heal childhood issues that result in vulnerability to love bombing.
3) periodic mushroom and ayahuasca ceremonies, maybe 4X per year at most.
4) subliminal recordings for healing the subconscious.

I’d be curious to hear what else anyone has come up with.  I’ve also been meeting new women to date, which is a nice distraction — some i’ve even connected with very well —  but I’m less than 5 months out from my BPDex and still pretty hurt from that breakup, even as the dumpor she forced my hand so I had no other moves, that really hurt a lot.  Having my hand forced is made me feel so powerless and helpless and is what resulted in a lot of my depression.

To answer your other question, she has broken NC twice in 5 months.  Both times I have shut it down.  Each time it did set back my healing temporarily, it did not help me at all.  I could sense her BPD illness lurking there trying to charm me back in for another cycle.  It really doesn’t make you feel better because for me my anxiety skyrockets whenever I have been in touch with her or around her.  I’m normally a calm, grounded, confident dude but around her my anxiety is a 10/10.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 09:00:55 AM by capecodling » Logged
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 09:29:47 AM »

sorry youre going through this. "doing stuff" is supposed to help recover from these break ups, but sometimes "doing stuff" is the hardest thing of all to do.

i was in a pretty bad way myself in the aftermath. i tried a number of supplements and got significant relief quickly.

there are three major supplements that can help with depression. they are sam-e, st johns wort, and 5htp. i tried sam-e, and it took a couple of days to kick in, but wow.

i used passion flower for when i had anxiety attacks. powerful stuff, nipped them right in the bud.

i also tried ashwaghanda after sam-e tapered off, and got a nice, albeit kind of brief boost.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
capecodling

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 10:53:43 AM »

sorry youre going through this. "doing stuff" is supposed to help recover from these break ups, but sometimes "doing stuff" is the hardest thing of all to do.

i was in a pretty bad way myself in the aftermath. i tried a number of supplements and got significant relief quickly.

there are three major supplements that can help with depression. they are sam-e, st johns wort, and 5htp. i tried sam-e, and it took a couple of days to kick in, but wow.

i used passion flower for when i had anxiety attacks. powerful stuff, nipped them right in the bud.

i also tried ashwaghanda after sam-e tapered off, and got a nice, albeit kind of brief boost.

Thanks for sharing.  I do use 5-htp for sleep and also Ashwaganda.  Will look at sam-e.  What did your recovery post-breakup look like?  How long to get to “everything will be ok” and how long to being fully recovered and over it?
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2023, 11:48:07 AM »

What did your recovery post-breakup look like?  How long to get to “everything will be ok” and how long to being fully recovered and over it?

not to be a downer, but i was pretty isolated, and that didnt help. my sleep schedule was wildly upside down, which was isolating, and i didnt have much in the way of the comfort of my friends. that was a major source of my depression, and i suspect had i had more company, i would have been a lot better off. we broke up in the middle of february; in late july i had a buddy start coming over every day just hanging around in my room on his computer. i started to turn a corner and build a new life around then.

depends on what you mean by fully recovered. after seven months to a year, i was in pretty good shape, no more pain.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
capecodling

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2023, 03:49:17 PM »

not to be a downer, but i was pretty isolated, and that didnt help. my sleep schedule was wildly upside down, which was isolating, and i didnt have much in the way of the comfort of my friends. that was a major source of my depression, and i suspect had i had more company, i would have been a lot better off. we broke up in the middle of february; in late july i had a buddy start coming over every day just hanging around in my room on his computer. i started to turn a corner and build a new life around then.

depends on what you mean by fully recovered. after seven months to a year, i was in pretty good shape, no more pain.

Yeah man, fully recovered probably means something different to all of us.  To me its the point where the pain is close to zero and you could see her out somewhere with little to no reaction.  Despite being isolated I would say you did pretty well by reaching that point in 7-12 months.

I am around 5 months now and some days the pain is a lot other days I feel wonderful, better than anytime the entire time I was with her.  I look forward to more days like that where I feel completely free from the breakup & trauma.
Gutt3rSnipe

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2023, 09:49:24 PM »

.]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 09:28:05 AM by Gutt3rSnipe » Logged
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest