Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 09:21:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boundary Setting in Shared Spaces  (Read 1551 times)
livednlearned
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2023, 11:08:46 AM »

I hope you can see through this guise.

She probably felt bad realizing how little she was going to receive and because of the way BPD works she has to create a reality for those feelings. She feels bad, therefore you must be the cause. She feels abused, therefore you must be the abuser.

She is splitting.

Her email to you is unhinged and her attorney, if he or she hasn't already, will almost certainly see a giant red flag. It's not normal behavior. Victims who have been abused don't behave this way, and certainly not at this point in the divorce. The time to do this was a year ago to blindside you while taking D2 somewhere and filing a PO.

She claims she has realized after discussing with multiple people, including our marriage counselor, my first wife, and others, that she has been experiencing abuse from me for years. She claims to have audio and video evidence as well.

Like the video of you in church? I mean, the biggest threat here is that she has an attorney who will indulge her.

It sounds like the email from her is almost literally "I don't like your offer" so "I'm going to scare you."

Bad things can happen when bad lawyers get involved but usually there is a baseline for reality in many of our cases and your ex just sent an email saying "this is the reality I'm going with." She wants you to feel the way she feels.

Also, she didn't contact her lawyer as you mention. This isn't someone who is thinking strategically. She's recording you in church and trying to recruit negative advocates but to be blunt, she's not being very smart about it. I think it's hard to be smart when you're on an emotional roller coaster and trying to get reality to fit your emotional narrative.  

Excerpt
Meanwhile, I’m stressed out to an extent I haven’t been since I first filed for divorce. I do not think I’ve done anything that would justify what she’s claiming, but of course at this point I’ve been turned around so much that part of me thinks “if she’s saying it, it must be true”.

She's been bullying you and warping reality for a while, it'll take some time before you can see the patterns and put things in perspective. And divorce jacks our nervous systems up. Lawyers get involved and we feel like we lose a little agency, not to mention the expense and fears about our kids' well-being. Skip used to say that people going through a divorce are all a little BPD. We feel x therefore y must be true.

Excerpt
Besides simply following my attorney’s advice to document the email and let things play out, what should I do here? Is there anything I should tell my attorney we need to be doing right now?

To be candid, your wife is kinda dumb.

This happened to my ex, too. He was a former trial attorney who hired a father's rights attorney. By most measures, you would think he should have sole custody of our child. Instead, it's the reverse.

People with BPD don't handle stress well and divorce is stressful. Your wife's email to you is a stress response. It's accomplishing what she set out to do, which is to make you scared.

If I were you, I would shrug. You could ask her to direct all comms to her attorney, but you know she isn't able to do that because her purpose is to make you feel bad and that's harder to do with middle men calming things down.

You could have a close, trusted friend or family member read all of her emails and let you know if there is anything actionable. That's what I did. It's kind of the way people feel when they unplug from social media. Your mind and body get a break and you can focus on people you really love like D2.

Excerpt
Between this latest thing and the behaviors I’ve mentioned earlier in this post (filming me, pressing boundaries on our existing agreements, insisting I am refusing to compromise, etc) I feel like I’m being emotionally and psychologically tortured here, with no clear end in sight.

You might have different coping mechanisms, but for me I found it was helpful to learn. I read a lot. Bill Eddy's book Don't Alienate the Kids was particularly helpful. It made me realize that I had no control over my ex but I had control over my emotions. I didn't want to be this strung out tightly wound tense mom when I was with my son. I learned to think of my emotions as a source of healing and warmth. For some reason doing things for my son is easier than doing than for myself (although that's changing), and bringing down my tension level for him obviously brought it down for me.

Breathe.
grootyoda

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated and Divorcing

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2023, 02:41:47 PM »

110% focus on your kiddo. Don't let her derail you. You're doing great documenting.

Not sure if this has legs, but ask your L if her total focus on herself, with no apparent concern for your kid in these allegations, helps you out at all -- "While Ms ExGrootyoda spends her time relitigating the past only as it related to herself, Mr Grootyoda spends his time focused on their child's current safety. We encourage Ms ExGrootyoda to utilize this break in her parenting time to seek effective counseling for working through her feelings about the long-gone past."

Thank you. That is really helpful and I appreciate your encouragement to focus on our child. The language does kind of capture where I feel like some of the issues are and I’m going to save it for later (which hopefully won’t be necessary).
grootyoda

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2023, 02:49:09 PM »

To be candid, your wife is kinda dumb.

This really shouldn’t have, but it kinda brightened my day. I have all this fear about what this person can do to me and it’s really easy to forget that there generally is no greater strategy at work, just a very intense set of feelings and impulses. I really needed that a little bit.
grootyoda

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2023, 06:16:25 AM »

Checking in post Father’s Day weekend. After I informed BPDw that I wanted our communication to go through our attorneys going forward, I got a few wall of text messages asking what exactly I meant by that, reiterating that she and my ex-wife both agree about my “behavior”, and that I definitely should not have primary custody of D2.

At this point, I had my attorney give me a rundown of exactly what kinds of requests or notifications it’s ok to send directly We put a list together so I have it handy when BPDw starts boundary testing. If it’s not clearly on the list, I am not responding and letting her talk to her attorney if she has an issue with it. This feels really uncomfortable for me but I’m trusting my attorney’s guidance.

The next day she asked again about having an unscheduled visit with D2, and I referred her back to my text about communicating through our attorneys. She responded by indicating that she understood that, but didn’t think it was realistic and would make it look like we can’t co-parent to the courts.

After that, it settled down for the rest of the weekend. I got one message that I had a Father’s Day gift on the way from her, which I didn’t respond to, and another asking how D2 is doing, which I did respond to by giving her a quick update (that one is on the “ok” list).

I’m still super anxious about what is going on with the report she threatened to file last week in her email, the fact that she’s trying to pull my ex into it, the fact that my ex talked to her at all, and just what on earth is actually going to happen from here. I have the same old voice telling me that maybe I really should offer her what she’s asking for on custody and give her more on the financial side, and then she’ll remember I’m not a bad guy  things will be ok. But… I realize that is exactly the kind of thinking that got me where I am to begin with. So instead I’m sitting with the discomfort, documenting any interactions, and otherwise trying really hard to go about my business as much as possible.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest