Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 06:27:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Daughter is really struggling fitting into residential treatment.  (Read 239 times)
Mom to my girl.
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Separated

« on: February 04, 2024, 05:53:52 PM »

I am wondering if anyone out that has had a loved one with bpd go into residential treatment and absolutely not fit in.  My daughter has been there for about 10 days and at first it was hard but nothing like it is now.  She says none of the other clients like her and she is constantly being confronted.   She's 20 and in a young adult setting in what seems to be a well run facility.  She's always struggled with relationships, and we are about 8 states away so we can't check on her in person.  We are in contact with the staff.  We are trying to be tough and trust the process but it's heartbreaking to hear these calls begging us to pick her up and bring her home.  She seems to think all the other clients are getting along well and she's the only one that isn't.  Has anyone dealt with this before?
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
SaltyDawg

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Moderately High Conflict Marriage (improving)

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 02:37:10 AM »

Hello Mom to My Girl,

Welcome

You have my empathy, right now will be the hardest time for you and your daughter, with your daughter in a facility 8 states away.  When my daughter was 11 yo, she was also in a facility, but in the same state, so, we could visit frequently.  Our daughter begged us to get her out of the facility, and it really pulled on our heart strings with her impassioned pleas to get her out, which included not getting along with the other patients/clients; however, it was for her own good to keep her in the facility, as she had not recovered enough at that point.

Our personal observation (we were there with her when visiting), and staff observations indicated she was getting along with each other as well as others in this situation were.

We had to trust in the process, and if you pull out too soon, it will be worse than if no treatment had ever been done, and they will be cycling in and out of treatment for years to come if not the rest of their lives when we talked to parents who had previously done that. 

With your D being 20, she is old enough to sign herself out (don't communicate this to her, or acknowledge/validate this if she says something - however, do have a plan for this outcome).  Please be mindful, that her mind will continue to develop until she is +/- 26 yo, where she can potentially have life long changes still instilled into her.  Our daughter pretended not to pay attention to the staff; however, from observation, she soaked in a lot of benefit from what they were teaching her there.

If my wife and I didn't put her in a facility, she would likely be dead or be in a much worse place than she is now mentally - I was forced to take the lesser of two non-desirable paths, which resulted in having a daughter around who hated me, or have no daughter at all.

Since then, our daughter has warmed up to me and my wife and realizes that we are not the bad parents she has split us as.

Our daughter is diagnosed with anorexia nervosa (AN), and was at the upper end of lethality for her BMI when she was admitted to the hospital.  She is now, and has been at 80% on the weight/growth charts for the past couple of years.

Thankfully our daughter is in full remission (rare, as AN has lower success rates than residential BPD treatments which is highly comorbid with BPD), even though her mental health condition is on her mind a lot.  Our daughter is now 17, and has somewhat come around to us; however, she still keeps me, her father, at a healthy distance, as she perceives me as her 'jailer' as I put her in the hospital against her will.  My daughter has shared with me that she thinks she has BPD (self-diagnosed), even though I do not see much impulsivity in her ( much less than her peer group ).

My recommendation is to talk to her case worker(s), as they have resources to help support you emotionally (even if it doesn't feel like it), in our case we had one that was assigned to us, and we had regular and consistent updates with the case worker and the team that was treating her, have a list of questions for the team, and make this team answer your questions and concerns to your satisfaction, that is what they are there for.  Do not let them give you a half-@$$ answer, but one that you can be satisfied with.  Also, do your homework, know what to expect, as this will be a team effort with you and her providers, and you will be taking over your daughter's care once PHP (partial hospitalization protocol) and/or IOP (intensive outpatient protocol) happen.

Since our daughter was so young, she was segregated from the adult population in the hospital, to which I was thankful for; however, at 20 years old, your daughter is likely with an adult population, which can be very rough and be exposed to a lot of things she hasn't been exposed to before, and that can be very impactful to her, especially if the other clients have been there many times before (for not finishing their course of the treatment in prior visits and/or relapses). 

Hospital stays are extremely costly in both financial terms as well as emotional terms; however, I was of the mindset of only doing this once, and not have a life-long repeating pattern that other parents/patients had experienced that would ultimate destroy not only her (and our) mind, but our finances too.

Right now it probably feels like you are stuck between a rock and a hard-place.  If I were in your shoes, I would buckle-up buttercup, and see this thing through, no matter how tough it would seem now, as it will only get worse if you don't see it through.  This takes great emotional strength that I did not realize both myself and my wife have.  At that time I was very leery of mental health professionals; however, it took me years to eventually trust in the process, as if you take the time and effort to learn the process, it can and will work, as our daughter's story is a resounding success story surpassing seemingly insurmountable odds, as our daughter made sure that she would never be subjected to being hospitalized again against her will - it was our daughter's change of her mindset, once she knew that mom, dad, and grandparents had a united front in keeping her in there until she was fully treated - she took it upon her self to fix herself - and for our daughter it was the perceived abandonment by her entire support system to keep her in hospital that did this for her - she hated us for keeping her there; however, the end result was so worth it.  It was tough love, we hated every minute of doing this to her, but it had to be done for her 'own good' - the alternative was death or a life of moving in and out of mental hospitals with a less than desirable population with more severe issues as she would age through this ordeal.

AN has a death rate of 11% (from starvation and/or suicide), whereas BPD is 8-10% (from suicide).

One of the best pieces of advice I can give, right now, that your daughter is several states away is to self-care, whatever that looks like for you, so you can have the energy and stamina to get through this dark time in not only your life, and to be emotionally supportive of your daughter's life too.

limit your calls with her, and when you do call her, or she you, validate the way she is feeling (scared, lonely, abandoned by you, etc).  Affirm gently that you are there for her, and available at a certain time each day for a limited amount of minutes, so she doesn't totally feel abandoned by you.  I would suggest limiting it to a number suggested by her team, or no more than 45 minutes per day, otherwise it will become counter-productive with excessive begging and marathon sessions of circular arguments by your daughter on why she needs to get out.  Only validate the valid (the way she feels).  Do not validate the invalid (her desire to stop the program).

My heart goes out to you, as I've 'been there, done that'.  Don't hesitate to ask question, we are here to listen to you, and offer emotional support.

Take care.

Salty Dawg

CC43

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 11:49:20 AM »

Hi Mom,

I can relate to what you're dealing with.  It's very positive that your daughter is seeking treatment, and she appears to be going along with it, if she hasn't quit the program yet.  As the treatment center is reputable, I'd advise you to encourage your daughter to remain committed to the process.  She can complain with you, she can vent; maybe you validate her feelings, but you continue to encourage her to stick with it.  Therapy is supposed to be work, not a vacation or a friendship circle.  If she doesn't get along with other "clients," that seems much less important than working with her therapists.

My stepdaughter has participated in various residential therapy programs.  She was more successful when she was committed to the process.  By the way, my stepdaughter has a tendency to quit whenever she feels stress, and she will blame anyone and everyone except for herself.  She often quit therapy, and when she did that, things went downhill for her.  I think that people with BPD have a tendency to quit--it's an avoidance strategy--rather than deal with their feelings in a more positive or productive way.  To me it would seem more heartbreaking if she quit the program.  Then what?  She'd be maintaining the status quo, which is not a good place to be.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 04:26:23 PM »

Mom to my girl, I can only imagine how hard it must be to hear her distress when you feel so far away.

There was a wonderful member here years ago who journaled the experience she had with her daughter, which you can find here:

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=120563.msg1188708#msg1188708

Does your D tell you what people are confronting her about?

Have you experienced situations where she struggles to perceive accurately what others are thinking or feeling?

I understand your concern because we don't want to discount genuine suffering. Yet pwBPD can be very astute without being accurate, if that makes sense.

How are the case managers describing her adjustment to the facility?

Breathe.
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 04:32:03 PM »

Hi and another welcome to you, Mom to my girl.

First of all, it's great that your D20 complied with going to treatment. At some level, she must want things to be different.

Is this her first stint in treatment, or has she gone before?

Does she have an official diagnosis of BPD? If so, is she accepting of the diagnosis?

I can say that I was that 19 year old in treatment calling Mom and complaining about how much it sucked. I was in a college IOP (so, not residential, but I had to move out of my city to live with my grandparents) which was my second round of eating disorder treatment (first round was full hospital --> day treatment --> high school IOP).

The way my mom handled my calls at that time really stuck with me, because she had... I hate to say "done a lot wrong" before that, but she didn't have successful or healthy approaches to listening and empathizing with me.

I was complaining to her about how stupid it was that all we did was sit around and watch movies and do crafts, and "I quit my job for this?" And I remember that she just listened and didn't try to argue me out of it, and didn't even call me out when I swore (a big deal in our family). And -- she didn't try to fix it for me.

What's different for your D20is BPD, which impacts an individuals ability to think rationally, perceive situations realistically, have managed emotions, and see that their feelings come from inside of them (and aren't "caused" by "other people out there"). What that means is that her feelings are real -- she may really feel alone, hurt, and ignored -- but she may construct "reasons" for the feelings that aren't grounded in reality. Try to focus on the feelings behind her words, instead of who did or didn't confront her etc.

The group has some good points to consider:

limit your calls with her, and when you do call her, or she you, validate the way she is feeling (scared, lonely, abandoned by you, etc).  Affirm gently that you are there for her, and available at a certain time each day for a limited amount of minutes, so she doesn't totally feel abandoned by you.  I would suggest limiting it to a number suggested by her team, or no more than 45 minutes per day, otherwise it will become counter-productive with excessive begging and marathon sessions of circular arguments by your daughter on why she needs to get out.  Only validate the valid (the way she feels).  Do not validate the invalid (her desire to stop the program).

It's good that you're in touch with the team, and sticking to a call length they recommend is good advice.

It's very positive that your daughter is seeking treatment, and she appears to be going along with it, if she hasn't quit the program yet.

If she doesn't get along with other "clients," that seems much less important than working with her therapists.

Yes -- she may say a lot of stuff about wanting to quit... but as an adult, she could on her own anyway (unless you have guardianship/conservatorship set up?). So part of her wants to be there.

Pointing her back to raising her concerns with her team shows her that you and her team are on the same page, and she can't "drama triangle" you into being her Rescuer while she is the Victim.

How much longer does she have there?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest