Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 27, 2024, 04:09:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It’s So Draining  (Read 372 times)
RPR24

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: February 19, 2024, 04:39:20 AM »

My husband (undiagnosed) is emotionally draining me.
I mentioned to him that I think the cat needs to go to the vet (scratched eye getting worse) and his said I have to wait till pay day as we can’t afford it. I didn’t reply but got on my phone to look for appointments and he said ‘don’t give me that look, it’s not my fault’. I didn’t give him any look, it’s his default mode to automatically assume he is being blamed.
Then asks why I bought our son a new water bottle and I said because his other one was mouldy. Cue a rant about how no one washes the water bottles etc (not true).

He’s been home 1 hour and my mood has changed because of him. The constant need to blame or feel blamed, the passive aggression, it’s so draining.

Goodpal

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: dating

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 06:59:11 AM »

I am sorry you are going through that. I can relate. My ex w/bpd would out of nowhere assume I was in a bad mood and start a fight about it for no reason and it wasn't even true. I always felt like I had to be entertaining her. I'd usually go overboard w/ it when she was accusing me of my mood switch but even that didn't work. It even happened in the middle of a concert once and I had to console her. This would always increase my anxiety.

Reminding yourself that this is his issue and not yours may be helpful. It's difficult to detach all of the time but it does help to maintain your sanity.

kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 10:32:57 AM »

Draining is the right word, for sure. It is exhausting trying to get agreement/cooperation with a pwBPD who doesn't seem to be in treatment or working on improving.

Finding ways to remove yourself from the situation could be helpful. He's going to feel whatever he feels (and those feelings can change rapidly and wildly, depending not on what's going on externally but on his own inner experience) -- you aren't required to be present in the room as he uses unhealthy approaches to "managing" his feelings.

For example, here:

Then asks why I bought our son a new water bottle and I said because his other one was mouldy. Cue a rant about how no one washes the water bottles etc (not true).

I'm guessing it's pretty obvious when the "rant airplane" is taxiing down the runway and is ready to take off? You can observe changes in tone, words, body language, etc?

It's OK for you to exit the room when he wants to fly the rant airplane. No sense in both of you going on that journey. This protects you from hearing the rant and the blame.

In terms of this:
I mentioned to him that I think the cat needs to go to the vet (scratched eye getting worse) and his said I have to wait till pay day as we can’t afford it. I didn’t reply but got on my phone to look for appointments and he said ‘don’t give me that look, it’s not my fault’. I didn’t give him any look, it’s his default mode to automatically assume he is being blamed.

I've found it less stressful for myself to assume that my H's kids' mom won't cooperate at all -- not even at a basic level -- and that anything that needs doing, I need to figure out 100% on my own. Then, if she chooses to help, that's a bonus, and if she chooses not to help, then my plans aren't in turmoil.

The cat can't wait for your H to be in a cooperative mood. If I were in your shoes, I might be brainstorming ways to get the cat treated first, then sort out a payment plan directly between me and the vet. Again, he may have all kinds of emotional responses to that -- you can decide if you want to stay in the same room with him while you make an appointment, or if you'd like to be elsewhere (somewhere peaceful, like in the bathroom, in the car, at the library...) while you set stuff up.

It really sucks when pwBPD aren't cooperative.

Goodpal sums it up well:

Reminding yourself that this is his issue and not yours may be helpful. It's difficult to detach all of the time but it does help to maintain your sanity.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 10:34:21 AM by kells76 » Logged
PeteWitsend

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 12:54:23 PM »

It's awful; I remember having the realization a few years into marriage that BPDxw actually preferred conflict to calmness.  She seemed to enjoy it.

Indeed, she one told me that she hated that I was so calm, and couldn't stand it.  That seemed absolutely crazy to me, that someone could prefer screaming and fighting to getting along cordially. 

I also recall the random accusations from her of being "grumpy" when I was just keeping to myself and going about my business.  Of course, she'd make it in a way almost intended to provoke me... which of course would result in an argument or fight, which was what she wanted. 

I imagine to her disordered mind, having grown up in a home rife with alcoholism, cheating (by both parents) and constant high-pitched verbal and sometimes physical abuse, that was what she knew and interpreted as "love."  And so when she'd come into a room to find my quietly reading, listening to music, making a sandwich, or whatever, she just assumed because I wasn't fixated on her, I must not love her.

Before divorce, it was tough to get away, especially with a young child.  But I actually preferred going out and taking care of my daughter alone.  I could relax, read in the car while she napped, get a beer at the zoo, etc, without BPDxw there and suddenly snapping at me for not jumping high enough, having to use the bathroom, "staring at women" or whatever wild accusation popped into her head at that moment.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest