Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 02:51:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First time posting. Adult daughter with bpd  (Read 264 times)
Suek
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married

« on: February 21, 2024, 08:00:39 AM »

My 42 year old daughter is living with BPD. I love her so much but feel so helpless. Her life is spiralling out of control. She has lost her job and her car. She is showing signs of mania and using prescription meds for ADHD which I believe are fuelling the mania. She is isolated because she has alienated her friends and family. She has burned every bridge she has ever had. She is lonely and sad. It breaks my heart.
When my husband and I visited her yesterday at her request to drive her around to do errands, she verbally attacked me when we were alone yet again. Being with her is truly like a trip to Oz. She is alternately angry at me or clinging to me.
She doesn’t believe that she is mentally ill but believes and tries to convince others that she has autism and ADHD.
Her life is chaos and anyone who interacts with her gets drawn into the storm.
I know that only she can come to the realization that she needs help.
It’s just so heartbreaking. ❤️‍
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Sancho
Ambassador

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 04:57:40 PM »

Hi Suek
It is unbelievably painful seeing our adult children in this state - and worse still when we are so powerless to do things. I am in a similar situation with dd aged 33.

My dd has recycled 'friends' - the latest being a fellow she was in a domestic violence relationship with, who wrecked 3 cars and is into strong drugs. I can't describe the feeling I had last week when I realised that the state her current car was in was due to this chap's 'helpful' mechanical work!

Here we go again.

But this week it looks as though it might be over with him already - who knows.

Sounds like you are the target of blame too. This makes it so difficult if not impossible to support a BPD adult child.

Your dd knows that something is not right. Do you know how she has come to think she has ADHD and autism? Also how is she getting meds for ADHD? Has she had a formal diagnosis?

These conditions can co - exist with BPD. My dd was diagnosed with BPD as a young adult and I wasn't present when she was given the diagnosis. I am sure she also has ADHD and dyslexia. It is worrying if your dd does not have ADHD and is being given medication for this condition that's for sure.

BPD has a range of symptoms that are different to the other conditions -such as blaming others - particularly the main care person in their life - and the signs of frantically trying to avoid abandonment.

We live with sadness and grieving every day for our BPD children. Coming here helps me because I feel less alone. When I read your post, I knew someone else knew the pain of this awful condition. I hope you are able to feel some comfort in knowing you are not alone too.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest