Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 19, 2024, 06:49:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARCHIVE | Retired book listings  (Read 4474 times)
savingFina
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2016, 07:27:31 AM »

Change Your Brain, Change Your Life
Author: by Daniel G. Amen M.D
Publisher: Harmony; Revised, Expanded ed. edition (November 3, 2015)
Paperback: 480 pages
ISBN-10: 110190464X
ISBN-13: 978-1101904640

I'm not a doctor, but I read this book and was equally fascinated by it. In fact, I took my then 15-year-old daughter to Dr. Amen's clinic in D.C. in April 2016. (My daughter is interested in science and biology, so the SPECT scans and the visual results of the biofeedback resonate with her.) She did not see Dr. Amen, she saw Dr. Annibali (who has his own book) and her SPECT scans indicate her diagnosis. Dr. Annibali recommended bio-feedback (among other things), and that's been helping her but it's not been a full solution. If we lived in D.C., I would still be taking her to the Amen Clinic for outpatient therapy. Although I think this book is very helpful, it's not as helpful for caregivers as it is for the patient themselves, as this is the kind of work that requires intrinsic motivation, although I'm sure every individual who reads it (BPD or not) can benefit from his work.
beggarsblanket

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2016, 07:37:08 PM »

I'm not sure this is the right place for this post, but here are two books that members might be interested in. Both are collections of peer-reviewed scholarly articles.

The Dark Side of Close Relationships
https://books.google.ca/books?id=HdOLAgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
It includes articles on May-December relationships, internet dating, the dark side of affection, infidelity, relationship turbulence, step-family relationships, female social aggression, intimate partner violence and aggression, narcissism, being single.

The Dark Side of Interpersonal Communication
https://books.google.ca/books?id=yYvaoG0lR6sC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
Includes articles on uncertainty in relationships, avoidance and secrets, manipulation of one's digital self, communicating hurt, complaints and criticisms, teasing and bullying, infidelity, hurt and forgiveness, revenge, child abuse, abuse of parents by adolescents.
VitaminC

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2016, 09:27:13 AM »

Desire, Love, and Identity: Philosophy of Sex and Love
Author: Gary Foster
Publisher: Oxford University Press; 1 edition (January 2, 2017)
Paperback: 392 pages
ISBN-10: 0199015201
ISBN-13: 978-0199015207

About the Book
A collection of classical readings with contemporary articles exploring love and sex as defining features of our identity. Alongside ancient, modern, and contemporary selections are sixteen original contributions written by emerging voices in the field.

The book includes a wide variety of perspectives, addressing topics such as sexual objectification, sexual identity, the ethics of sex work, love and sex online, friendship, polyamory, and BDSM.

About the Editor
Gary Foster is Assistant Professor at the Department of Philosophy in Wilfrid Laurier University.  His research interests include moral psychology, philosophy of sex and love, and existentialism.

roberto516

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2017, 08:23:45 PM »

A must read in my opinion. Though not directly related to BPD (although you can see with the daughter how these traits can develop based on family systems) it gave me the most insight into myself than I have gotten from any other book. I highly recommend it as a possible way to learn so much about yourself.

“Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart. The really great men must, I think, have great sadness on earth.”
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions