Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 23, 2018, 11:50:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Harley Quinn, Harri, Once Removed, wendydarling, Wentworth
Ambassadors: Flourdust, Mutt, Turkish, Woolspinner2000, BeagleGirl, bluek9, Cat Familiar, CryWolf, Enabler, Feeling Better, formflier, Insom, Learning2Thrive, Merlot, Mustbeabetterway, Radcliff, RolandOfEld, spero, zachira
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Login Register  
THE PSYCHOLOGY OF PERSONALITY DISORDERS
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NAMI Peer to Peer Program  (Read 1559 times)
lostandunsure

« on: September 09, 2013, 12:44:59 PM »

Is anyone familiar with the Peer to Peer program? My wife starts it tonight and I want to kind of know if there's anything I should be aware of? Hoping that it will be a good program for her while we wait for the full DBT program, but am preparing a bit in case she's triggered or sets her off.

I did start the Families class this last weekend, and while we're only in the first class, I have to say I'm rather impressed. We'll see how the rest of the class goes, but so far it seems like a good program. So, I'm optimistic about the class for her.

"... there is no such thing as an ending, or a beginning for that matter, everything is middle."
--Eoin Colfer - And Another Thing

Scarlet Phoenix
Retired Staff

Person in your life: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 07:29:52 AM »

Hi,

how did it go?

lostandunsure

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 02:19:41 PM »

Sorry I didn't get back sooner... It's been a busy week.

I would say it was more of a challenge than she expected. She was the only BPD in the class and I think she was doing a lot of comparisons. Other people had been hospitalized, had police called, multiple suicide attempts, etc. It seemed she didn't want to be "that bad" or associated with "that crowd". It took her a little while to realize that Her mother had brought her to the police department to be arrested once, that she had a prior marriage that didn't work out that she partied hard and often when she was in the military and that it wasn't really until shortly before we were married that she "calmed down" long enough to be considered stable, and really even then there were problems that I can see were directly related to BPD. Our marriage was a major stabilizing influence on her and I don't think she really thought about that much until the class. I think it was eye opening for her that things could have been a lot worse for her.

Not to mention she started wonder just how much hand holding I had been doing for her to keep her from going that far off the deep end over the years...

So, she came home on the verge of being triggered (it didn't help that she walked to her car alone in the dark, due to unfortunate timing, and drove home in the dark) she managed to keep things under control and I was proud of her for that.

She seemed to think that the best thing was the video that they showed, apparently the instructors aren't the best, one talks extremely slow, which drives her a bit crazy, but I think there's a good chance that she'll get something out of it. Right now, I'm planning on driving her to the next one just so we can reduce the tension just a bit and hopefully let her focus on the class rather than driving.

In all, I think it's going to be a good thing for her, to show her that other people have mental disorders and survive just fine, which I think is really the point.

"... there is no such thing as an ending, or a beginning for that matter, everything is middle."
--Eoin Colfer - And Another Thing
Scarlet Phoenix
Retired Staff

Person in your life: Romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 02:24:06 PM »

Thank you for the update. I'm glad to hear that it went well, all in all. Sounds like she had some  lightbulb moments and that you're pulling together.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions

EDITORIAL DEPARTMENTS
My Child has BPD
My Parent/Sibling has BPD