Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 19, 2024, 05:19:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Poll
Question: As a one who read the book, how do you rate this book?
Excellent - 31 (26.7%)
Good - 40 (34.5%)
Fair - 31 (26.7%)
Poor - 14 (12.1%)
Total Voters: 161

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 14. Stop Walking on Eggshells - Paul T. Mason MS  (Read 10890 times)
BPDFamily
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: April 06, 2007, 10:04:31 AM »

Stop Walking on Eggshells
Author: Paul T. Mason MS, Randi Kreger
Publisher: New Harbinger Publications (2nd Ed. 2010)
Paperback: 240 pages
ISBN-10: 1572246901
ISBN-13: 978-1572246904

Book Description
Stop Walking on Eggshells: Coping When Someone You Care About Has Borderline Personality Disorder is a self-help guide that helps the family members and friends of individuals with borderline personality disorder (BPD) understand this self-destructive disorder and learn what they can do to cope with it and take care of themselves. It is designed to help them understand how the disorder affects their loved ones and recognize what they can do to get off the emotional roller coasters and take care of themselves.

About the Author
Paul T. Mason is a program manager of Child/Adolescent Services and a psychotherapist with Psychiatric Services for St. Luke's Hospital in Racine, Wisconsin. His research on borderline personality disorder (BPD) has appeared in the Journal of Clinical Psychology, and he teaches seminars for mental health professional on the effects of BPD on partners and family members.

Randi Kreger is a professional writer. Frustrated with lack of information about BPD and families, she initiated an Internet discussions a group and a site on the web for people who care about someone with borderline personality disorder.

Randi Kreger
DSA Recipient

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 09:50:59 AM »

Authors Comments

I thought I would let u know how this book came into being.

I am a non myself. A therapist in 1995 or so that someone in my life had BPD. I couldn't find any info, so I decided to write the book. Part of it was that I could interview the best people out there!

It took a YEAR to find a publisher. No one believed people needed this. At one point, Paul and I considered self-publishing--but suddenly we got three offers. For me personally, it has been a blessing and a curse. It was--and is still--hard to listen to story after story of other non-BPs. The worst is seeing what is happening to the children. It has made me relive my own experiences over and over.  It also meant working in my house, alone, for three years. The lack of social interaction is very hard for me. For about a year there, I was sorry I ever started this.

The blessing part is that it has given me such great skills, not only dealing with BPs but in all my personal relationships. Now that I am 10 years older, the blessing is that there was a purpose in my own BP experience, not to mention my own life. Without it, I would feel pretty empty. I think the highlight of the experience was when I spoke with a non with three children in a nasty divorce. To get custody of the kids, he had to assume all the considerable dept they had. So he asked me for advice and I told him to GET HIS KIDS and then I started to cry. He called me later and told me he took the kids. And at one point I realized that this not only made those children's lives not a hell--but it will trickle down to THEIR children.

I don't think I will ever get my head around 'Stop Walking on Eggshells" selling about 300,000 copies and the Workbook about 35K or so. The average number of books sold for my publisher is about three thousand.I was giving a seminar for nons once and I looked out at everyone and suddenly I realized how powerful this disorder really is.

Randi

I had a borderline mother and narcissistic father.
bewildered2
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Went NC in June 2006

2 months good stuff, then it was all downhill

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 08:05:09 AM »

This booked may have saved my life.

It certainly saved my sanity.

And it made me face unpleasant facts about the effects my BPGF would have on my daughter, and made me do something about it, pronto.

B2

united for now
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: separated

Talking about solutions create solutions

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 02:19:14 PM »

I found the workbook for "stop walking on eggshells" to be very helpful, with many insightful ideas and ways to see the FOG you are in, being in a relationship with a BPD person.

I also have read "Where to draw the line. How to set healthy boundaries every day" by Anne Katherine, M.A. which I found great to help me see how I was weak at setting personal boundaries.

Also, "The emotionally abusive relationship" by Beverly Engel, to see how to define emotional abuse, and to also see how I got sucked into being the nice person, to my own detriment.

Change your perceptions and you change your life.  Nothing changes without changes
MULESKINNER

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 12:41:06 AM »

This book helped me so much, I used to beat myself up because my 27 yr. old BPD daughter always blames me for everything, I never realized that she was manipulating me. It's all starting to make since for me after reading this book. I would highly recommend reading it, It will help you realize that it's not you with the defect.
Cyndi

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 06:21:58 AM »

Book was a great comfort.

However, I wished it had went into more detail about LEAVING someone with BPD.

I had no idea how hard it would be until I found this site.
RTTCB

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 06:26:00 AM »

It was the first thing I read after finding The Nook.

Like so many here - it so reflected what I was experiencing, but not only that, it gave me more of an awareness of what BPD was and also insight into how I needed to deal with it.

It was hard to read in a way, as it was the beginning of the end. It made me realise I needed to walk away. But in that respect it saved me a whole lot more suffering and grief.

RTT
Randi Kreger
DSA Recipient

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 04:24:07 PM »

Book was a great comfort.However, I wished it had went into more detail about LEAVING someone with BPD.I had no idea how hard it would be until I found this site.

The stuff about how to leave a BP is in the booklet Love and Loathing. You can't fit everything into SWOE, and to have a lot of info about that would have made a lot of people unhappy.

TonyC
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: single

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 04:39:08 PM »

i have been out... .but my ex threw it in the... .trash... .

i just bought another copy to re read... .now that im in re-engagement central

i wanted to be sure... .

i think a book from randi on after your out , or on the way out ould be good... .

tony

Randi Kreger
DSA Recipient

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 09:03:33 AM »

i have been out... .but my ex threw it in the... .trash... .i just bought another copy to re read... .now that im in re-engagement centrali wanted to be sure... .i think a book from randi on after your out , or on the way out ould be good... .tony

That is in Love and Loathing too. If you're serious about divorce, there is Splitting, the Splitting CD, and they custody CD called you're my world. It is EXTREMELY important to prepare if that's what you want to do--ESPECIALLY if you have kids.

TonyC
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: single

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 04:09:59 PM »

not married randi and no kids,... .a blessing.but the book , definatley helped me understand... .things, and how her mind works... .

just dont know how it works five months out... .?

tony

bewildered2
Retired Staff

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 04:32:38 PM »

I am unfamiliar with "Love and Loathing".

What is it and where can I get a copy please?

b2

themummy

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 01:21:58 AM »

Hello,

I was recommended that our daughter with BPD boyfriend would read the book... .walking on eggshells... .

Does anyone know if this is translated into Dutch, or where I can find out?

Thanks
Her Mama
formerly "Ks Step Mom"

Relationship status: Divorced from J since 2002; Remarried 2011

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 01:57:01 AM »

I found this information at www-page-not-found-net:

To check translation status, email customerservice@newharbringer.com.

Hope that helps.

KSM
themummy

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 02:10:57 AM »

Thanks,

I have found it.
JerryKew

Relationship status: In LTR 17 yrs; separated nearly 3 yrs; now dating healthy guy and feeling happy! :)

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 02:24:18 AM »

All I can tell you is it hasn't been translated into French. My guess would be that it hasn't been translated into any foreign languages, but I could be wrong. How's your daughter's English? Maybe she would have no problem reading it in English. 'Kill two birds with one stone' kind of thing... .

Skip
Site Director

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007, 05:19:43 AM »

This is my understanding of the translation status on this book.  The e-mail address provided by Ks Step Mom will get you the latest information.

Hope this helps.

Skip

Stop Walking on Eggshells, Taiwanese

Stop Walking on Eggshells, Chinese

Stop Walking on Eggshells, Dutch

Stop Walking on Eggshells, German

Stop Walking on Eggshells, Japanese

Stop Walking on Eggshells, Korean

Stop Walking on Eggshells, Croatian

Stop Walking on Eggshells, Swedish

Stop Walking on Eggshells Workbook, Dutch

JerryKew

Relationship status: In LTR 17 yrs; separated nearly 3 yrs; now dating healthy guy and feeling happy! :)

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 07:36:54 AM »

Wow! I'm impressed! I had no idea it had been translated into so many languages. Why it hasn't been translated into French still baffles me.

Randi, you get the publisher, and I'll do the translation for you!  Smiling (click to insert in post) (I mean it!)

spritom

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 09:22:48 PM »

I don't know if I can give this book an objective review, so here's a subjective one.  This book was my first baby steps out of the fog... .out of Oz.  I was working late, my BP-then-wife had really been on a tear, things were at a low.  I was browsing the net and came across a comment on a divorce site that used the acronym "BPD."  I had no idea what that meant, so I went on a Google-binge and came across Stop Walking on Eggshells... .I picked it up that night on the way home.

The next couple of days, I read any time I had a spare moment... .at breaks/lunches at work... .any time.  I was stunned as it seemed as if the authors had been living in my home.  Up until that point, I had never heard anything about it and even the few times I told a person or two about part of the behaviors going on, they didn't seem to believe it.  My BP-wife was denying that the behaviors were taking place and I was second guessing myself.  But there was the book, it was physical proof that there was life outside my little planet. 

It was a long road for me... .not as long as some, but the longest, toughest road I've ever taken with many tears along the way.  Now I'm working on my own wonderful life and my children also have a positive example in their lives.   It started with this book.

beckett34

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 10:58:01 PM »

a life changing book - many many thanks to the authors .

ive just passed it on to a young woman who so desperately need to read it - shes getting a lot from it too!
LAPDR
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Single - living on my own and like it

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 11:10:11 PM »

I have a general question for Randi or some of the senior board members that may know. The year 1995 was a period that I was devouring books by the week on bi-polar, co-dependency, children of alcoholics, narcissism people and such and believe I saw very few references to Borderline disorder. Going on 13 years later the term and awareness has enlarged in scope and in public awareness from what I have seen. In these 13 years I am wondering what your opinion is on how the awareness, education and sensitivity has changed to the general public and professional ranks about BPD.

Thank you,

LA

Letting go when it is too painful to hang on is hard to rationalize.

Skip
Site Director

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 08:07:52 AM »

This will be much better answered by Randi... .

The BPD diagnostic criteria didn't appear until 1987 when they were published in the DSM-III (and again in 1994 in DSM-IV). This really kicked off the awareness.  Clinicians graduating prior to 1987 had little training on BPD.

The first "lay" book, "I Hate You, Don't Leave Me" was published in 1989. 

If you look in the technical literature, a lot of studies were published in the 1990's.   TARA was founded in November of 1994 by Valerie Porr, MA.

":)on't walk on Eggshells" didn't come out until 1998.  This is also the time of the internet websites.

The Borderline Personality Disorder Research Foundation was founded in 1999.  BPDRF mobilized research centers in the US and Europe to investigate whether BPD was a recognizably distinct entity and, if so, what the defining characteristics of the disorder were.

NEA-BPD was founded in August 2001 by several family members, consumers, and one professional. The impetus stemmed from the "New Directions" meeting at Rockefeller University in July 2001 sponsored by the National Institute of Mental Health and the Borderline Personality Disorder Research Foundation.

Hope that helps.

Skippy

lovetogolf
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 04:11:00 AM »

Not sure I got too much out of this or  I've missed the point of it.

NPD/BPD pretty much seem the same to me.
bewildered2
Retired Staff

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2007, 05:40:37 AM »

Not sure I got too much out of this or  I've missed the point of it.

NPD/BPD pretty much seem the same to me.

Borderlines fear abandonment big time and avoiding it is their primary driver.

I do not believe that Narcissists are driven by the same fear.

From what I have read it is not uncommon for the two disorders to be comorbid and the combination of the two is powerfully destructive and apparently very hard if not impossible to treat successfully. NPD/BPDs are very hard to live with, trust me!

b2   

Cyndi

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2007, 07:47:44 AM »

From what I have read NPD are driven by fear.

They just deal with it in a different manner.

They will reject before being rejected.  Coldly and cruely if they have to.  But is imperative to their survival that they be the ones to do it.

So when they feel they are getting too close to someone, and there is even the slightest chance that they may be vulnerable, they leave, and they leave fast.

They are terrified of being left, being hurt.  This fear is by far stronger than any love they feel for anyone.  The potential is enough to drive them away without so much as a backwards glance.  The feelings of others is just not a factor in their lives.  It's all about them, how much power over others they feel they have.  People are just pawns to them. And in their minds, people are interchangable and very disposable if they feel threatened or even bored with them.  They bore easily apparently.

They cover their fear with an air of superiority and competance, but inside they are a quivering mass of fear.

There are some sadistic NPD's who actually enjoy hurting others, they enjoy that kind of power, but I'll have to guess that they are fairly easy to spot.

I believe the APD's are the only ones whose actions are not based on fear.  They just feel nothing.

But I do agree with one thing, it really doesn't matter how much of either they have, if they have a mixture of both, I truly feel it is an impossible situation.
beckett34

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2007, 08:57:34 PM »

yes - the great NPD/BPD combination - unbelievably impossible .
ruralstressed

Relationship status: married

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2007, 06:02:41 PM »

Reading this book has helped me reduce the initial chaos within one year.

We are minimum contact and set boundaries.

Ubpx will forever be trying to create chaos for us, but we have resources now.

karategrrl

Relationship status: left the relationship 4 years ago

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2007, 02:06:47 PM »

About 3 tears ago, a friend gave me a copy... .I started highlighting everything that pertained to my ex... .I stopped because I was highlighting almost the whole book... .One day my ex caught a glimps of it and asked to borrow it... .I said yes, but told her I had highlighted some of it and she had to promise not to get mad... .a week later, she threw it on my porch and I didn't hear from her for a few weeks... .Of course, I'm totally NC now! Thanks for a great book, it saved my sanity and my son too!

Randi Kreger
DSA Recipient

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2007, 04:33:08 PM »

i have been out... .but my ex threw it in the... .trash... .i just bought another copy to re read... .now that im in re-engagement centrali wanted to be sure... .i think a book from randi on after your out , or on the way out ould be good... .tony

Hi there:What would the topics be, and would they be something you could also find in other books?

LAPDR
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Single - living on my own and like it

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2007, 12:27:34 PM »

Randi,

I believe that a lot of subject matter could be covered that is specific and unique to exiting and healing from a relationship with somebody with a personality disorder.

Planning the departure appears to be hard for everybody here. Dealing with divorce and child custody issues especially if the BPD has primary custody how does the non deal with the safety and security of their children and how to measure it. I have not read William Eddy’s book on divorce but I do know that reading about recovery and grief of divorce written eight years ago gave little comfort or aid to what I went through. Many of us carry a lot of guilt after the break-up, we wonder if we did enough to help them, would of things worked out if we had stayed longer and many other things. Within ourselves many see red flags everywhere when trying to get back in circulation as a normal person. Why is it so hard for many of us to get out of the shell we receded into when we are away from the one who hurt us so much? Protection from re-engaging afterwards is important but many keep letting it continue for a long time. I believe many do not know how to meditate and concentrate about thinking about themselves and planning their future after the shock of their experience.

Just my opinion here but many issues of divorce, grieving and getting over a past relationship with somebody with BPD present many special circumstances that are not covered in the general books available covering those issues.

LA

Letting go when it is too painful to hang on is hard to rationalize.

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions