Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 05:01:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: >I don't know what I am doing wrong  (Read 57 times)
GreentreeMimnoq
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Living together

« on: April 24, 2024, 10:14:11 AM »

Hey there.
I have been with my girlfriend for almost two years now. She started exhibiting symptoms of bpd sometime last year and we are trying to work through it. She often gets upset at me for things that I find unreasonable. I.E. Being upset that I asked her to scoot towards the middle of our king sized bed because I was hanging off of the edge. (This happened last night and she is still upset with me.) I don't want to leave I want to work things out. My mental health is taking a decline as I don't know what sets her off, and she doesn't have these reactions with anyone else. It has to be me or something that I am doing/not doing but no matter how many times I try to talk about it, I rarely come out with an ounce of clarity. It's getting really difficult to apologize for things that I have no idea would cause a fight. I don't know if she wants to be with me still, if she is looking for things to fight about, or if I just don't understand the disorder in general. If anyone has advice on how to handle when your partner with BPD is upset with you, reasonable or unreasonable, I would greatly appreciate it. I love her more than the stars love the sky, or the sun loves the moon and the thought of losing her kills me.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Pook075
Ambassador

Relationship status: Married but Separated

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 10:47:37 AM »

Hi Green Tree and welcome!  I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Let's start with a one minute BPD crash course.  When emotions run high in either direction, it's easy for a fear of abandonment to kick in and cause all kinds of chaos.  Imagine being scared of something that you can't deal with, but you're 10x more terrified to speak your truth.  That's where your partner is coming from and what drives all the head-scratching moments.  It's not the words she's saying as much as it is the hidden feelings that are spiraling out of control.

So what do you do?

In a nutshell, ignore the words and focus on the emotions behind them.  Picture an infant that's screaming...what do you do since they can't tell you what they need?  You comfort, you soothe, you help the infant relax and feel loved.  Then the high emotions fade. 

When your partner is in that type of state, you don't argue, or explain, or justify, or defend...you comfort and get back to a stable place of trust.  Then you can have a conversation about what happened.  But not before.  Why?  Because when someone with BPD is feeling abandoned or unloved, they tend to rely heavily on emotions...much like a child.  So you give love and affirmation up front, soothe that negative stuff away, and then it turns into a very different day.

This is counter-intuitive and all of us get it very wrong in these relationships.  So don't worry about messing up or saying the wrong thing, it's not about that.  It's simply about avoiding the arguments and focusing on being loving, nurturing, and validating when things start to go south.

One last thing- if you argue...even when something completely ridiculous or wrong is said...that only intensifies the BPD's emotions because it's validating their worst fears...that you really don't love them or understand them.  That's where these relationships go wrong; you think you're arguing over space in the bed while she's arguing over how you don't want to sleep around her, you don't love her, and how she's such a huge burden. 

It's not logical at all, it's an emotional response that's very unhealthy.  That's why we focus on the emotion to get to the real problems.  I hope that helps!
CoChuck

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 12:48:23 AM »

Hi Green Tree and welcome!  I'm so sorry you're going through this.

When your partner is in that type of state, you don't argue, or explain, or justify, or defend...you comfort and get back to a stable place of trust.  Then you can have a conversation about what happened.  But not before.  Why?  Because when someone with BPD is feeling abandoned or unloved, they tend to rely heavily on emotions...much like a child.  So you give love and affirmation up front, soothe that negative stuff away, and then it turns into a very different day.

This is counter-intuitive and all of us get it very wrong in these relationships.  So don't worry about messing up or saying the wrong thing, it's not about that.  It's simply about avoiding the arguments and focusing on being loving, nurturing, and validating when things start to go south.

One last thing- if you argue...even when something completely ridiculous or wrong is said...that only intensifies the BPD's emotions because it's validating their worst fears...that you really don't love them or understand them.  That's where these relationships go wrong; you think you're arguing over space in the bed while she's arguing over how you don't want to sleep around her, you don't love her, and how she's such a huge burden. 

It's not logical at all, it's an emotional response that's very unhealthy.  That's why we focus on the emotion to get to the real problems.  I hope that helps!

Do we all get it wrong? I know I do, but your words, Pook, are spot on. I think you get it right most of the time.

You describe my pwBPD in your description. If I had only known these things 35 years ago, I think my history with my partner would be less turbulent. We are very close, when I have not slipped, triggering her worst fear, even after 35 years. 

During the smooth times, times I am diffusing the daily jabs or attacks, I stop visiting this board. I need to make this part of my routine. During the peaceful time, I think, how could I even think she is a pwBPD, look at how well we are getting along. Well, I can think it...because it's true! Reading what you wrote describes my wife exactly. In need to respond in a way that honors my limits while being reassuring her I love her.

This reassurance is the great challenge. In typical relationships substantial time in a loving partnership is sufficient. With people like my wife, everyday I must prove my love. Even though "I've done this for 35 years now" she says, "but that doesn't mean it will happen today." We, the partners, have tremendous power, we must use it properly.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest