Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 21, 2024, 09:21:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: divorce, countered with seperation and conceling  (Read 386 times)
Narrow Gate

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: June 15, 2014, 01:52:29 PM »

My uBPDw told me yesterday she was going to file.  I bought some time with the idea of a trial seperation and some marrige counseling, focused on the high conflict couple model.  That means me moving out, she would stay w/ kids in the house.   Any suggestion would be apreciated.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

MissyM

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 05:07:00 PM »

My dBPDh and I are separated and doing the High Conflict Couple with a DBT therapist.  We were separated before we started it and he will be moving back home in July.  However, I would recommend going to the DBT therapist BEFORE separating.  The whole premise of the High Conflict Couple is to be on each other's team.  My dBPDh is also in treatment with an IC, group therapy and goes to 12 step meetings.  Would she be willing to wait and see what the DBT therapist says?
Narrow Gate

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 09:40:12 PM »

I am not sure.  We (I) haven't found a T yet.  If I can make that happen quickly I might be able to buy some time.  There is a group that specilizes in DBT that I have sent an intro email to.  Had planned on calling them tomorrow.
MissyM

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 12:36:48 PM »

I emailed several DBT therapists and told them my husband and I were interested in doing the High Conflict Couple.  Only 2 responded and seemed to know what I was talking about.  I interviewed 2 and picked the one that was the best fit.  So I suggest contacting as many DBT therapists in your area that you can find.  Fruzetti also has groups that you can join as a spouse, that are all over the country.  I plan on doing that later.
maxsterling

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: living together, engaged

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 01:03:59 PM »

So, she wants to end things, you want try and work on things, correct?  A question I am sure you have considered - what are your reasons for wanting to work on things considering she is adamant on ending it?  You are right to think nothing will improve if she is not willing to get some kind of help.  I ask because I ask myself the same question.  At what point do I throw in the towel?  But then again, I'm not married to her, nor do we have kids, but I would like both at some point.

My advice is to think long and hard about how much work counseling and separation would be compared to what long term changes you can reasonably expect.  I know in my case, if she came up with some kind of plan for leaving, I'd be heartbroken, but at this point I am just so exhausted I may just see the heartbreak as temporary in exchange for future freedom.

Narrow Gate

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 12:21:55 PM »

There are three kids and I have MS and on Dissability. (which makes everything fun) The youngest is a very emotional girl and I am trying to break the cycle.  My wife may never recover or improve but I want to explore all options.  She is very high functioning which might be a negative (never hitting hock bottom).  I have grieved the loss of our marriage, so I am not being nieve (sp). Our first round of T was an eye opener for me.  Showed me how much I was not seeing.  It helped me find this site.
Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 12:29:00 PM »

Hello and welcome! You will find lots of support, whatever path you end up taking.

A question: Has your wife made threats of divorce or leaving before? Or is this a totally new thing?

A reading suggestion: What you are looking for instead of divorce is this:

Therapeutic Separation

Reading this topic will help you understand what it will take, and more on your chances with it.

GK
Narrow Gate

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 04:26:54 PM »

This is the second time I have been pussed this far.  I think she talked to her mom on the phone the morning of , she is a big pusher of this topic.  The Mom stood in my kitchen one time and told me my marriage was dead, and ? why I still was fighting for it.  Alway fun when you have that kind of support. 
MissyM

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 08:47:10 PM »

Excerpt
This is the second time I have been pussed this far.  I think she talked to her mom on the phone the morning of , she is a big pusher of this topic.  The Mom stood in my kitchen one time and told me my marriage was dead, and ? why I still was fighting for it.  Alway fun when you have that kind of support.

Oh, I hate that!  My dBPDh's mother and brother are the same way.  Of course, his brother has never married (52 years old) and his mother doesn't want either of her "boys" married.  I believe my MIL is BPD, she believes herself to be the victim and hates me.  She has behaved in absolutely horrific ways and my dBPDh's therapist wants him to not have contact with his family, or if they do have minimal contact.  His thinking gets really distorted when he talks to his family.
Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 01:20:19 AM »

You know... . when you say that your wife said yesterday that she was going to file for divorce... . that is still at the threatening and grandstanding level. Very different from actually taking legal action or moving out.

At this point, you can say things like "I love you and do not want to separate, however I cannot force you to stay."
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest