Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 07:24:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I know when to use which skill?  (Read 961 times)
DreamLight

« on: December 26, 2012, 08:53:26 PM »

Deep breath, we survived Christmas.  Our 26 year old daughter with (undiagnosed) BPD invited us all over very early Christmas morning to watch the kids open their presents.  Kids are 2 and 6.  I mostly stayed quiet, since I don't have a good grasp of this new skillset yet.  Btw, I have checked into a nearby therapist who is familiar with BPD and dbt.  I don't think I'll be able to afford it though.  Back to story, daughter sat and sulked the first two hours of the visit.  I don't know what was going wrong for her, and didn't ask.  In the past, asking her what is "wrong" only leads to snarky answers, and I didn't want that while kids were opening presents.  So what to do with sulking?  Anything?  I did my best to ignore, but I could see out of my peripheral vision she was looking at me while sulking.

What to do when she says things to the kids that are inappropriate and hurtful.  Like, "if you don't do hit__ right now, I'm going to throw away all of your presents."  The kids did not react, so I followed suit and also did my best not to react, although I know I cringed.

She will often say provocative things, and look right at me to see my reaction.  I did not react.  Are there other choices here?  Needless to say, Christmas was not Merry, and I've given myself a permission slip to not be available next year.

I'm trying my best to accept my limitations right now, while trying baby steps forward.  Also, any advice on the aftermath of an experience like this?  I felt awful afterward, and it spoiled our whole day.  I wish I could just let it go, but I get sort of obsessed on running it back through my mind, and what could I have done differently.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 07:33:14 PM by Harri » Logged
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
qcarolr
Distinguished Member

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married to DH since 1976

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 09:16:48 PM »

Deep breath, we survived Christmas.  Our 26 year old daughter with (undiagnosed) BPD invited us all over very early Christmas morning to watch the kids open their presents.  Kids are 2 and 6.  I mostly stayed quiet, since I don't have a good grasp of this new skillset yet.]

Sometimes survival is the best we can do. And gritting of teeth, biting of tongue. Sounds like it worked to keep the volume level down and kept he focus on the gdkids.  Kids can be so relisilent - they are perfect ones to practice your validation skills with when you are alone with them - if allowed a visit like that. My gd really has responded to my validation. Allow youself baby steps.

Excerpt
Btw, I have checked into a nearby therapist who is familiar with BPD and dbt.  I don't think I'll be able to afford it though.

Sometimes we have to buy the DBT workbook and train our T - need to find one willing. Maybe one with CBT experience as that is a good starting place. Sometimes the validation skills are there, just called another name. Can share the book on this too. "I Don't Have to Make It All Better" is an easy read with practical steps.

Excerpt
Back to story, daughter sat and sulked the first two hours of the visit.  I don't know what was going wrong for her, and didn't ask.  In the past, asking her what is "wrong" only leads to snarky answers, and I didn't want that while kids were opening presents.  So what to do with sulking?  Anything?  I did my best to ignore, but I could see out of my peripheral vision she was looking at me while sulking... .She will often say provocative things, and look right at me to see my reaction.  I did not react.  Are there other choices here?

This could be your D looking for some drama to 'validate' her negative emotions - to put you into a victim place and her into a power place. And when we first start changing our responses, it usually creates some kind of change in our BPDkids. Glad your D seemed puzzled and did not repsond in a loud way. Maybe the Christmas focus on the kids helped here.

Excerpt
What to do when she says things to the kids that are inappropriate and hurtful.  Like, "if you don't do hit__ right now, I'm going to throw away all of your presents."  The kids did not react, so I followed suit and also did my best not to react, although I know I cringed.

I know how hard this is. This was my experience the past few days with DD - though I am now able to make some limited comment without an out and out rage back from her. I have to step lightly though - and if I can respond in a validating way to gd7 without saying anything to DD directly it works better. This is modeling validation for DD. Hope it can last beyond her need for my support to stay on her probation -- hope it lasts beyond probation.

Excerpt
Needless to say, Christmas was not Merry, and I've given myself a permission slip to not be available next year.

I'm trying my best to accept my limitations right now, while trying baby steps forward.  Also, any advice on the aftermath of an experience like this?  I felt awful afterward, and it spoiled our whole day.  I wish I could just let it go, but I get sort of obsessed on running it back through my mind, and what could I have done differently.

Thank you!

Takes practice to let go - and to keep on with the practice. Kind of like any mindfulness practice whether meditation, yoga, prayer, excercise -- all those self care things. Do you have better thoughts or memories that can help push out or distract the obsessing thinking (without bringing up too much sadness)? I tend to talk and talk and talk to dh - he has to say 'enough' sometimes, esp. at night when we need to sleep and the thoughts are so loud.

Hang in there - you will keep getting better and better. Then others around you will respond in better and better ways too.

qcr  

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 07:17:40 AM »

Greetings DreamLight,

Good to hear that you got through Christmas without any major meltdowns!

qcarol has some good thoughts here!

Focusing on the positives can help keep us get centered and balanced in our moods and  thinking.

It seems to me that your d may have been looking for some validation... .pwBPD are inherently unhappy... .depressed.  The focus being on the children may have left her feeling empty... .emotionally abandoned.

As you learn more about validation and put it into practice I think you will see an improvement in your self confidence and compassion.  I can't recommend the book qcarol mentioned highly enough... .great resource!

lbjnltx

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
DreamLight

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 03:51:35 PM »

Thank you, Ibj and qcarol!

I hadn't even thought about how the underlying feeling would be abandonment in these situations.  What a terrible catch 22 for her!  At 20, she could not be convinced to wait to have children, because her feeling of "needing love, and to be loved" (validation) were so strong.  Now she has children, it turns out they get all of the attention and validation, and she must be feeling even worse!

Idea

Major light bulb moment.  Understanding is key to compassion.  When I can understand why she is acting out, it helps me be less frustrated with the behavior, and more compassionate toward her.

Thank you!

And Happy New Year!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest