Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 07:00:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do MY life choices make YOU feel defensive ?  (Read 818 times)
Want2know
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2013, 09:27:36 AM »

When and if I chose to examine my defensiveness as a mental health issue, I will seek a mental health professional, thank you for your kind concern all.

To clarify, respectfully, the topic of your subject header is geared towards others.  This board is about you, and your feelings and what it is you feel is holding you back.

Discussing this with a therapist would be a good thing if you would prefer to do it in person with a mental health professional.  It's ok if you're not ready to explore how this effects you here.  I think we all understand that.  There are topics that I sometimes feel I want to explore further about myself and am just not ready to do so on a public forum.  Those I do save to discuss with my T. 

Just know, we are here for you when you are ready. 

“The path to heaven doesn't lie down in flat miles. It's in the imagination with which you perceive this world, and the gestures with which you honor it." ~ Mary Oliver
tailspin

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2013, 09:32:42 AM »

LGo2,

When I first started working on myself, one of the moderators asked me some very pointed questions similar to the ones I asked you in one of my earlier posts.  These questions are purely intended to be though provoking.  What you are feeling is important and what you think does matter.  

I've read many of your posts but I cannot determine if you ever really worked through the anger stage of grief.  :)id you?  Sometimes we build walls to keep our anger in... .  and it takes a huge effort to allow ourselves, or give permission to ourselves, to be angry. It's how we choose to express our anger that a)either prolongs our anger, or b)allows us to let the anger go.

If you are stuck, and maybe you aren't, sometimes it helps me if I turn the question around.  For example, if I posted your original question, I might do this to it:  ":)o my life choices make me feel defensive" or maybe ":)o your life choices make me feel inferior."  

This way, I can find out what's really bothering me.  Of course, this may not apply, or be at all helpful to you, and that's fine.  I hope you find peace regardless.

tailspin
turtle
Retired Staff

Relationship status: I am happily single -- live alone and love it.

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2013, 09:44:14 AM »

Hi SummerT321 --

Your life choices are none of my business and whatever those choices are don't make me defensive at all.

Your tone, however, makes me defensive -- and THAT is something I have to look at within myself.  It has nothing to do with you.

turtle

almost789

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2013, 09:46:54 AM »

Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)... .  tailspin and want to know. This is so muddy now and circular, now I am angry and feel inferior because of your life choice? please. I lived a life of manogamy for 26 years and am still married to the same man. Manogamy or lack of it does in no way make me feel inferior. As I read through this entire post here I see no where where I was angry or inappropriately defensive. Seems like a classic case here of deflection and then projection. As I said, it's so muddy now and so circular. I honestly don't participate in nonsense like this. I'm done here.
almost789

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2013, 09:52:35 AM »

One more comment to turtle, I just saw her post. If I make you feel defensive, that's ok. I won't claim that as a "mental health' issue for you. We all have defenses. I have a very strong personality. What I find is I have a lot of people who feel defensive around me. I have alot of people who don't feel that way at all around me. It's fine. We all have our own personality and differences. I even have best friends who tell me, you intimidated me when I first met you and I don't know why. But, now they love me. Anyway. It's all good.
turtle
Retired Staff

Relationship status: I am happily single -- live alone and love it.

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2013, 09:58:05 AM »

What I find is I have a lot of people who feel defensive around me. I have alot of people who don't feel that way at all around me. It's fine.

Is it okay with you that many people perceive you this way?   

No judgment there --- just curious.

turtle

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2013, 10:09:26 AM »

Staff only

This thread has been locked, as the original poster is no longer managing this thread.  Please contact a staff member if you have any questions.

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest