Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 15, 2024, 11:11:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: According to uBPDbf, I should ...  (Read 695 times)
toomanyeggshells

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced from a non-BPD. I didn't know how good I had it.

« on: May 14, 2013, 03:18:53 PM »

1.  want to spend every waking minute outside work by his side

2.  see my family less often because "we're in a relationship and they don't understand that its me and you now"

3.  change the way I do my job because uBPDbf should be the most important part of my life, regardless of how I've done my job for the last 27 years, its should be different now because "we're in a relationship"

4.  only want to do things that he wants to do also, even if I want to say yes to an invitation and he doesn't want to go.

5.  not exercise or take care of myself because uBPDbf doesn't and I'm "just doing it so I look good for other people"

6.  eat only the food he likes to eat because thats "what's normal" (and why he weights 325 pounds and I don't  Smiling (click to insert in post))

Its a struggle every single day to continue in this r/s.  Every time I'm ready to leave, I feel bad and stay.   Why can't I be strong enough to do what I KNOW is best for me and leave?  Even though I've tried to change and not make things worse (mostly), things have only gotten worse.  He refuses to get therapy so I know nothing will change on his part.

After reading this, it doesn't really seem like a "staying" post, but I'm still in the r/s and would like to make it work without giving myself up completely, if thats even possible (without him getting therapy)
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Rockylove

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 08:03:26 PM »

You'll know if and when you're ready.  In the mean while... .  let him know that you are a couple, but also individuals and you'll see him when you return from visiting your family Smiling (click to insert in post) 
bruceli

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 01:20:20 PM »

1.  want to spend every waking minute outside work by his side

BPDw is the opposite, I should leave her be UNTIL she needs me for support, money, pick up kids, etc. 

2.  see my family less often because "we're in a relationship and they don't understand that its me and you now".

BPDw wants to spend more time alone or with friends thereby avoiding stress and responsibility.

3.  change the way I do my job because uBPDbf should be the most important part of my life, regardless of how I've done my job for the last 27 years, its should be different now because "we're in a relationship"

4.  only want to do things that he wants to do also, even if I want to say yes to an invitation and he doesn't want to go.

Ditto... .  except, BPDw wants to do them with her "friends" i.e. drinking buddies.  When buddies come over wants me to dissapear so that I don't hear/see behaviors.

5.  not exercise or take care of myself because uBPDbf doesn't and I'm "just doing it so I look good for other people"

6.  eat only the food he likes to eat because thats "what's normal" (and why he weights 325 pounds and I don't  

Ditto again except BPDw sees herself as a wizard of nutrition.  Constantly watching what she eats, no hand soap that isn't natural, etc.  And as  I said before all of this diatribe while she has beer #8 in her hand smoking a cigarette, while munching on oreo's and chocolate bars.  Non-organic BTW. LOL
briefcase
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married 18 years, together 20 years, still living together

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 07:49:02 AM »

toomanyeggshells, your list is quite often how pwBPD see a "relationship." Its a very enmeshed and unhealthy view of how a relationship is supposed to work.  TO stay with him, you can't allow him to define the relationship in ways to isolate you or deprive you the opportunity to pursue your own career and interests.  He will resist your definition, but you need to have strong boundaries around these issues (which it sounds like you do).   Smiling (click to insert in post)

toomanyeggshells

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 08:46:21 AM »

toomanyeggshells, your list is quite often how pwBPD see a "relationship." Its a very enmeshed and unhealthy view of how a relationship is supposed to work.  TO stay with him, you can't allow him to define the relationship in ways to isolate you or deprive you the opportunity to pursue your own career and interests.  He will resist your definition, but you need to have strong boundaries around these issues (which it sounds like you do).   Smiling (click to insert in post)

I try, briefcase, I try.  Most of the time its like banging my head against a wall.  When I don't conform to his definition of a r/s, it usually ends in a rage. 
toomanyeggshells

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 08:48:36 AM »

bruceli, I'd be more than happy if uBPDbf tried your wife's behavior for a while.  I think I'd find it a relief.   Smiling (click to insert in post)
princesssunshine
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 11:04:26 AM »

Briefcase, I'm new here and have found these posts to be helpful.  I seem to have many of the same feelings and issues as toomanyeggshells.  I read your response and also feel as though I'm trying but am often beating my head against the wall when I try to set boundaries and maintain them and the same things keep happening, even though I'm following through.  Any advice?  I do want to stay because he is in therapy and we are both committed to working together to making the relationship better.
bruceli

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 02:15:08 PM »

bruceli, I'd be more than happy if uBPDbf tried your wife's behavior for a while.  I think I'd find it a relief.   Smiling (click to insert in post)

Ahhhhh... .  if we could only trade... .  if not for just awhile.
bruceli

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 02:16:50 PM »

I try, briefcase, I try.  Most of the time its like banging my head against a wall.  When I don't conform to his definition of a r/s, it usually ends in a rage. 

Me too!  I get the you are trying to controll me, you want too much of my time... .  Again the opposite.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest