Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 27, 2024, 11:20:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Popular books with members
Surviving a
Borderline Parent

Emotional Blackmail
Fear, Obligation, and Guilt
When Parents Make
Children Their Partners
Healing the
Shame That Binds You

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I feel like I am alone on an Island...  (Read 414 times)
TJCH
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: August 13, 2013, 12:09:55 PM »

Hello all.  After lots of book reading and searching and tears I finally found this site.  After years of dealing with a sibling that likely has BPD, I now realize that I need help as I try to get through life dealing with this person.

It's hard to know where to begin - the seeds for my sister's behavior have always been there - she has always been "difficult" or "different", but when her blow-ups would occur, she always eventually came back  - never to apologize for her behavior - instead she would just call to see "what's up", and pretend that nothing was ever wrong.  The big problem is that things have really gotten worse over the last 8 years or so.  There are two factors that are aggravating the situation even more - #1 is that she has been unemployed for 4 years and #2 is that we have 2 loving parents who think they are helping by ignoring and enabling the situation and letting her walk all over them while they support her financially with no conditions.  I am greatly concerned not only for my sister's well being, but also for my parents, as they are in their 70's and they do not need the stress of dealing with someone who is irrational and disrespectful at times.  My mother is not well, and my dad is taking care of her and dealing with my sister's behavior.  It is a lot. 

What's more is that in an attempt to offer "tough love" (a last resort, as I had tried everything else up until that point such as getting her job interviews that she wouldn't take, my husband tried to hire her twice and it fell through, I've tried loving and compassionate listening, I've tried giving her space, etc. and nothing works) she is unforgiving, has an attitude any time I try to be nice to her.  I call, and she acts like she doesn't care, yet if I don't call she is angry with me.  She says she is "done with me" but then tells me she is glad I called, she treats me in a rude and dismissive manner in front of my parents, who excuse it and say "she is just upset about something" as if that justifies her upsetting the whole house and making people uncomfortable with her temper tantrums.

My dad is the one who is also frustrated, and says he is going to do something about her behavior or getting her help, but then all of a sudden she floats in and manipulates him with a "good mood", everyone feels happy, and he calls me and says "I think she is doing better."  Meanwhile, I am positive that as the holidays approach she will spiral downward (since that has been the pattern for years) and all those promises she has made to them about helping herself will be forgotten in 6 weeks.  I want to scream. 

The other thing that is unbelievable is her definition of looking for work.  She complains that no one is hiring, but she refuses to apply for jobs at places that I know would hire her.  She is very bright and skilled but extremely picky.  My 21 year old niece is now making a living off a job I originally secured for my sister, however she couldn't be bothered to even call back the person offering her the interview.  Meanwhile, she complains loudly that the only places left for her to apply are Hooters and strip clubs.  How does she conclude this when she has not even applied at a Barnes and Noble?  I asked her that and she said "I'd sooner drop dead than work in a Barnes and Noble".  How does someone who allegedly needs so much help not jump at all the opportunities that are offered to them?  How can you be choosy about the life vest you are offered when you are drowning?

The other thing she likes to throw in my face is that "my life is perfect" and therefore I am not in a position to help her or give advice.  I appreciate my blessings - I am married and have 3 kids and I love my family - they are great, but I wouldn't say life is perfect.  She gives me no credit for any success I have had in life, because in her view it was "handed to me on a silver platter and I have never had to work for anything".  Funny - I didn't feel that way when I was living off tuna fish and working two jobs and teaching middle school while I worked my way through a masters program.  In her mind, her struggles are REAL, and anyone else is just a whiner.  Another thing that happens frequently is that she does not see her offenses, yet if another person does the same thing to her she becomes outraged.  The most recent example is that one of our friends became a widow quite suddenly and unexpectedly (38 years old).  My sister was outraged that 3 months had gone by and the bereaved widow had not sent a thank you note to her for her contribution to the daughter's college fund (my parents money anyway).  When my sister brought this up to me I replied that I had not received a thank you note either, but then again I never sent a condolence expecting one.  I have 3 children and I can understand how devastating it must be to loose your husband when you have a 3 year old.  My sister's response was "well she has all this time to be negative on Facebook, but no time to write thank you notes?".  Ask me the last time my sister wrote a thank you note or acted grateful for anything. 

Another simple yet effective example is that she is chronically late.  Typically, when we are visiting my parents (my parents and sister live in another state than I do) and she says she is coming to spend time with the children (my kids), she will text me that "she is on her way" at 3:30 in the afternoon.  She will then show up at 7:00 at night unapologetically.  Meanwhile, the next night, when I arrived home 20 minutes after she expected me (I technically wasn't late, because I said I would be home after 7:00) she had an attitude, was outraged that I kept her waiting, and used it as her reason to not visit us again the rest of the week we were in town.  What made it an argument was that after being treated badly for the previous 4 days I finally had the nerve to politely point out to her that she was frequently late and we never say anything to her.  I find that presenting her with logic always leads to a breakdown in her.  That is not what I was intending, rather I was trying to put up some boundries. That never gets us anywhere, since there is a refusal to see her own behavior as wrong.  Ever.  it is always someone else's fault.  Always.

Here is what terrifies me the most - my parents are in their mid 70's.  Who knows how much longer they will walk this earth?  What will happen when they need more care and I don't have a rational person to help with major decisions?  What will happen when my parents pass on and all that is left is her and me?  If she is still not working and refuses to speak to me or let me help her, how will I know if she ends up homeless or on the streets?  I worry about her all the time.  it wakes me up at night.  I am powerless to help her because in her mind I am a horrible sister and "the enemy". 

In summary, she has an inflated sense of self coupled with low self-esteem, she is unforgiving and remembers every offense to her, she has no problem making people "pay back" all the disappointments she has had in life, and she is the constant victim in every situation - life happens to her, rather than her making life happen (i.e. - the fact that she can't find a job is not her fault, even though she is not looking in all the possible places that she should or taking all the opportunities offered to her).  She is prone to violent mood swings and will curse out the people she loves the most.  She is also abusive, and passive-aggressive.  My parents are so eager for any sign of improvement in her behavior that they refuse to recognize patters in her behavior that get worse every year.  At one point I was terrified that she was going to kill herself.  I feel like my parents have no backbone when it comes to her, and they are leaving me with an impossible situation to handle - my father is in a position to insist that she get help since he is signing the checks.  I am not in that position, and any attempt I make to help becomes and epic disaster.

I have no idea what to do anymore.  I am starting to think I am the one who needs therapy.  The verbal abuse has been going on for years.  I have been trying to be compassionate and see the good person that I really believe is under all this drama and horribleness, which is why I think counseling would help her a great deal.  I can see this situation is unhealthy and I know everyone would be happier if she just got some counseling, however I feel like I am on an island and my whole family is happier to live in denial in order to have "peace at any price".  I cannot live this lie.  It makes me crazy and life impossible.  I am at a point where I want to be supportive but there is no relationship between us.  She once told me that everything wrong in our relationship is my fault and that she bears no responsibility in making it better.  How do you sit down to Thanksgiving dinner with someone like that?  Why do my parents accept that reality?

I know this is long, and I am not sure it even covers everything, but thank you so much for reading and "listening".  I am hoping to share insights with others in a similar situation as I really think you need to be in a situation with someone like this to really understand.  i am not in a position to offer any advice at this point because I truly feel lost.  I am almost out of hope.  I have called hotlines, counselors, I've prayed, and I am just exhausted.   Seeking those who understand and might be able to offer help and advice, or just a shoulder to cry on.  Thank you.   my baggage

worriedsis75

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 02:33:55 PM »

Oh, I feel for you! I'm also not in any position to give advice other than you probably should see a therapist just to have an outlet for all the pain and practical advice on what you can & can't do for your sister. It's so hard and unfair that this behavior reeks havoc on those who care most.
Scout99

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 02:50:35 PM »

Hi TJCH!

Welcome

It sounds like you are having a very stressful time with all of this... .

Being a close family member can be very tough! How do you know your sister is BPD? Have she received a diagnose sometime in the past? From what you write, many of the things you describe could point towards BPD for sure, but sometimes there are several things that combined creates equal chaos within the realm of the close family.

When a family member has BPD, the illness can negatively everyone in the family system, including children, siblings, and in-laws. Senior members on the [L5]  Coping and Healing from a BPD Parent, Sibling, or Inlaw board are experienced with and can help you with setting boundaries, finding relief from FOG, encouraging self-care, improving your handling of relationships impacted by your BPD relative, and pursuing a path of recovery from traumatic experiences. The validation, information, and support will give you strength on your journey.

You ask how your parents can stand by and not act. And I of course cannot provide you with an answer to that here... . But often when parents know something is not well with their children and they don't know how to fix it, the situations quickly become infested with a lot of shame and guilt... .

I understand that this situation is starting to take it's toll on you! And like you feel that you need to step up, where perhaps your sisters parents ought to. And we who have people in our lives who are troubled in one way or another, BPD or something else, often find ourselves in that position, taking on way too much responsibility for things that to a large extent is beyond our control. And that in itself is both exhausting and frustrating.

You write that you sometimes now feel like you are the one in need of therapy... . And you know what? Maybe that wouldn't be such a bad idea? If you look around here you will find that many, many of us with either family members or significant others are in or have been in therapy for ourselves to learn how to better take care of ourselves when faced with these kinds of struggles... . Since people with personality disorders have a way of consuming all our time and too much of our thoughts and create a whole lot of worry around them. And as family members or significant others, we need to learn how to detach and not to forget to look out for ourselves too... .

What is it that causes you the most problems right now in the situation you are in?

Please let us know how we best can support you at this time?

I give you a link to an article here on the site about the different stages that families usually go through when discovering that a family member may have a personality disorder. Maybe it can give you some answers to where your parents are in this process.

This site is a valuable source of both information, but also a place where you can share what goes on in your situation and find inspiration and help through all the other members experiences. There is a lot of hope and motivation to be gained from making use of those resources.

You are not alone in this! We are glad you have found your way here! And we are here for you!

Best Wishes

Scout99

GeekyGirl
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 03:42:31 PM »

Hi TJCH,

Welcome!   Sometimes it is exhausting when someone you love has BPD (my mother is the person in my life with BPD). I know how frustrating it can be, and you're right when you say that it's important to find a support system that understands what you've gone through.

Counseling can be a wonderful thing. Even though it's your sister who has BPD, you're still very much affected, and it might be a great benefit to you to find a therapist (T) that can help guide you through the healing process. Scout99 has given you the link to a good resource too: you'll find many others on the Healing board who can support you.

What would you like to see happen in your relationship with your sister going forward?

Welcome again, and please feel free to join us on the Healing board! I look forward to seeing you around.

-GG

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest