Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 11:10:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why don't ex BPD simply not leave you alone when they are in a new r/s?  (Read 2467 times)
Oliolioxenfree

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2013, 09:04:43 PM »

When someone in my family said "BPD" after she left and I started reading up on it, all of the craziness when I was with her just all clicked into place. Everything started to make sense. I agree Oliolioxenfree it's a hard pill to swallow and I felt like I was flipping back and forth with accepting it. I still am. I tried so hard to reason with her over the years, and there's a part of me that still cares because she is a human being. But there's that part of me that is so hurt from the betrayal and the selfish destructivness that she ignorantly causes unto the kids and I. It feels like my mouth is gagged and my hands and feet are tied and there's nothing that I can do. I have my own control issues due to fear of abandonment from being adopted. I pray that someday she gets help. It's tough cutting someone off is what I'm getting at and I'm having a tough time with stopping my own triggers on her. But, we're not together anymore so there's no sense in me learning those tools. It's getting to acceptance and difference and stop reacting to all of it, I'm struggling with. [/quote]
I still struggle to fully internalize it and have full acceptance. I am indifferent towards my BPDexbf but still find myself sometimes reeling from the fact that he has this disorder because honestly WHAT ARE THE CHANCES?  However, i will say that once you begin the process of accepting that they do suffer from this, it really does render their behavior and subsequent actions, irrelevant.  pwBPD have a different reality than us.  Whatever their behavior is, the disorder makes them believe that they are right and that they are correct and justified in their actions. Theyll never share the same view as you and you will never be on the same page.  

Its a lose lose situation for us if we engage.  We want validation that the relationship meant something, that we meant something.  But only you can give yourself the validation you need.  they will never provide that for us.  All we can do is accept that they are mentally ill, operating in a different reality, and that the ONLY way to heal is to disengage entirely and stay NC...  Axis II personality disorders are on the same Axis as austism and mental retardation and other intellectual disabilities.  They are disabilities of the brain itself.  When you read the definition for AXIS II disorders, they are usually LIFE-LONG disorders that stem from childhood.  They are rarely cured. BPD is a Severe mental illness.  Repeat that in your head every day.  Severe mental illness.

In short, it sucks  because when we cling to the hope and do not accept that they are mentally ill, we harbor a bit of hope that they can change, maybe theyll come back , things will be different, theyll be the loving partner we thought they were if they change down the road.  Accepting who they are and their disorder jolts us out of hope and bargaining and denial and straight into reality.  Change probably wont happen and realizing that is by far the most painful part of the healing process (at least it was for me, When I finally realized it I cried for both myself and my ex knowing that he will have a lifetime of pain and suffering).   Just remember that this disorder cant be helped.  Its such a sad thing.   Once you realize this youll begin to feel compassion, and pity and eventually youll let go.

Its a long tough process. but youll get there.

peas

Relationship status: single

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2013, 09:33:06 PM »

The profound part for me is I was extremely close to a serious mental illness and didn't know it at the time.  Yikes!

For real, Heal. I think the same. I'm like, wow, I was in love with someone who may actually be mentally ill. We usually think we can spot that stuff. 
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2013, 09:41:24 PM »

Excerpt
When someone in my family said "BPD" after she left and I started reading up on it, all of the craziness when I was with her just all clicked into place. Everything started to make sense. I agree Oliolioxenfree it's a hard pill to swallow and I felt like I was flipping back and forth with accepting it. I still am. I tried so hard to reason with her over the years, and there's a part of me that still cares because she is a human being. But there's that part of me that is so hurt from the betrayal and the selfish destructivness that she ignorantly causes unto the kids and I. It feels like my mouth is gagged and my hands and feet are tied and there's nothing that I can do. I have my own control issues due to fear of abandonment from being adopted. I pray that someday she gets help. It's tough cutting someone off is what I'm getting at and I'm having a tough time with stopping my own triggers on her. But, we're not together anymore so there's no sense in me learning those tools. It's getting to acceptance and difference and stop reacting to all of it, I'm struggling with.

I still struggle to fully internalize it and have full acceptance. I am indifferent towards my BPDexbf but still find myself sometimes reeling from the fact that he has this disorder because honestly WHAT ARE THE CHANCES?  However, i will say that once you begin the process of accepting that they do suffer from this, it really does render their behavior and subsequent actions, irrelevant.  pwBPD have a different reality than us.  Whatever their behavior is, the disorder makes them believe that they are right and that they are correct and justified in their actions. Theyll never share the same view as you and you will never be on the same page.  

Its a lose lose situation for us if we engage.  We want validation that the relationship meant something, that we meant something.  But only you can give yourself the validation you need.  they will never provide that for us.  All we can do is accept that they are mentally ill, operating in a different reality, and that the ONLY way to heal is to disengage entirely and stay NC...  Axis II personality disorders are on the same Axis as austism and mental retardation and other intellectual disabilities.  They are disabilities of the brain itself.  When you read the definition for AXIS II disorders, they are usually LIFE-LONG disorders that stem from childhood.  They are rarely cured. BPD is a Severe mental illness.  Repeat that in your head every day.  Severe mental illness.

In short, it sucks  because when we cling to the hope and do not accept that they are mentally ill, we harbor a bit of hope that they can change, maybe theyll come back , things will be different, theyll be the loving partner we thought they were if they change down the road.  Accepting who they are and their disorder jolts us out of hope and bargaining and denial and straight into reality.  Change probably wont happen and realizing that is by far the most painful part of the healing process (at least it was for me, When I finally realized it I cried for both myself and my ex knowing that he will have a lifetime of pain and suffering).   Just remember that this disorder cant be helped.  Its such a sad thing.   Once you realize this youll begin to feel compassion, and pity and eventually youll let go.

Its a long tough process. but youll get there.

Thanks again Oliolioxenfree and everyone for sharing in this thread. I'm thankful for this forum and the those that have walked the same line. I felt like I was getting pulled in different directions with everything going on.

Thank you so much Clearmind for your sound logic as always.

Oliolioxenfree thank you for your articulate post. I'm going to keep this post and read it to remind myself.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Oliolioxenfree

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2013, 12:56:43 PM »

[/quote]
Thanks again Oliolioxenfree and everyone for sharing in this thread. I'm thankful for this forum and the those that have walked the same line. I felt like I was getting pulled in different directions with everything going on.

Thank you so much Clearmind for your sound logic as always.

Oliolioxenfree thank you for your articulate post. I'm going to keep this post and read it to remind myself.[/quote]
Thanks Mutt.  I am so glad you are healing and you seem to be getting some clarity in your own situation.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest