Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 12:55:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am totally impressed with him...  (Read 349 times)
Foreverhopefull

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: January 14, 2014, 01:47:54 PM »

Last week I was on a family trip to Cuba that my dBPDh didn't want to come.

To say I was nervous of leaving home alone would have been a major understatement... . but he proved me wrong.

Not only did he continue taking his medication (I filled out his pill box before leaving and he had it ready for a refill when I got home, he went to his appointments and he visited my grandfather everyday... . but he also made sure to respond to my texts and he actually called me to prove to me that he was OK (he didn't say that's why he called but he did say it once I was home).

I am so proud of him, I'm also happy to say that he totally regrets not coming on the trip. Let's just say he is working on getting the strength and courage for the next trip.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 02:05:44 PM »

The challenge to separate from each other is not to be underestimated when both sides have attachment issues.

Excerpt
I'm also happy to say that he totally regrets not coming on the trip.

Of course you missed him but there is the upside to him having time and full responsibility for himself. It allowed you letting go of carrying some of his responsibilities. Temporary separations like business and vacation trips can really help here rebuilding a stronger sense of self on both sides. Natural, healthy and relatively painless boundary restoration.

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
Foreverhopefull

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 02:10:41 PM »

This was a family vacation and it felt very weird not having him around, having said that it was really great having only myself to think about. I will make sure that if we have a family trip and he is there, I also plan a trip alone.

By keeping the contact pretty much once a day (if I left the resort) only also helped me not get the dreaded calls of him sounding totally depressed or informing how I'm the worst person in the world for abandoning him.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest