Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 01:30:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do They Have A Script?  (Read 1297 times)
Arminius

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2014, 04:54:14 PM »

I don't think it's just the men at all.

Some of the things my ex told me (first the good, then the bad):

"You are the greatest man I've ever met."

"I will never give up on you."

"I will love you forever and always."

"I would be lost without you."

'"I have never trusted anyone before like I trust you."

"I feel I can tell you anything."

"I just had this feeling from the start that I could trust you."

"You are my everything."

"I've never felt this way about anyone before."

"I can't believe how much you calm me down."

"We have this incredibly special connection between us."

"You are the greatest blessing I've ever known."

"You are my fairytale prince."

"You are my soulmate."

"Then find someone else normal.  You're not tied down."

"Sorry I've been so distant.  I just need some space.  I hope you can understand."

"I'm not going to see you."

"I just feel so irritable I can't even stand myself."

"It doesn't matter what you say."

"I wish I could be a normal girlfriend."

"I feel awful I can't give you the love you deserve."

"I'm going to f*** up again."

Almost identical in my case too.
lemon flower

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2014, 04:18:03 AM »

No we both wanted to see it " 12 years a slave" just didn't realise it was so brutal. I really loved the movie. I just thought it bizarre that he thought my feelings for him would be swayed by a movie...

I recognise this, pwBPD tend to relate all things to them personally as they are so self-centered, and from this same egocentric point of view comes the terrifying uncertainty that their actions, thoughts, ideas might have a wrong effect on the people around them and that it is their responsability solely.

it must be so hard for them to constantly have these inner fights and doubts  

the quotes I constantly hear from my friend are these:

- please remember that I am a good person and ignore my bad persona's

- I'm afraid you will think badly of me now because I did this or this

- I should have acted as a man and protect you- now you probably think I'm a pussy

he constantly projects his own black and white thinking and his incapacity of keeping a consistant image of a person on me, thinking that me too I am not able to remember the good things and that I will base my image of him on whatever bad impression he thinks he left

I tried to explain him so many times that I don't think that way, but he really can't get the picture... .

I wonder if this kind of thinking can be improved by therapy ?

Red Sky

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2014, 10:23:31 AM »

I would assume it can be improved with therapy?

My ex had several years of therapy by the time I met her. She was very self-aware about BPD, really, but with the one exception that she couldn't NOT relate anything back to herself. Everything was a reflection on her. I suspect this went for good and bad things. She used to push me to achieve things, and say 'I'm so proud of you' like a parent taking credit for their kid's success. (Incidentally my parents don't believe in saying they are proud of me... . They say 'your success is your own, you worked for it not us.' I heard 'I'm so proud of you' soo much. Drove me crazy.

GreenMango
Retired Staff

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2014, 02:04:29 PM »

Most people have scripts, or schemas.  Someone with BPD can have schemas like the abandoned child.  It influences how someone sees the world and reacts... . sometimes negatively.  Check out this thread PERSPECTIVES: From idealization to devaluation - why we struggle https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=161524.0

There's a specific therapy that focuses on schemas.  Sometimes it is brought up as an alternate or addition to DBT. 

The real irony is that these schemas pair well with people with complementary schemas that can also be pretty destructive.  The personal inventory board has a thread for people to find out their positive and negative schemas.   It's a good way to find out more about yourself and learn ways to have better relationships.

Red Sky

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2014, 02:34:49 PM »

That board requires x number of posts doesn't it? I'll be interested (in due time) to find out about myself! My ex had a kind of therapy based on schema and as I said, she was very self-aware about her BPD traits and tendencies and from speaking to her it certainly helped her to control her urges to some extent. But definitely not all the way. She also told me it can knock years off the time in therapy needed for BPD - but she kind of relapsed immediately after being discharged... .

corraline

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2014, 03:31:38 PM »

schema

im working through jeffrey youngs reinventing your life book.  Its a great book . Its helping me to understand myself. Lots of tools to help you see where life traps originate from, how they affect you in your past and current life situations and work through shifting them. Its a pretty good book i figure.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest