Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 04:50:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is behind this and best way to go from here? Advice very welcome.  (Read 330 times)
BlondeRunner

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: August 06, 2014, 04:29:23 PM »

Hi everyone, 

So I think I've been a little naive! I would really appreciate your views, advice and knowledge as most of you are much more well versed in BPD behaviors than myself. I am somewhat a newbie in my BPD dealings (I had a fairly calm 10 month relationship with my dBPDexbf which suddenly exploded out of nowhere and I haven't had to have any dealings with him until now. No recycles. No drama. No games. Nothing.)

In summary... .after an argument 3 months ago my dBPDexbf blocked me, subjected me to an abrupt silent treatment/ NC, I left him to it and things have remained that way until recently. I contacted him a few weeks ago regarding a large sum of money that he owes me (I posted about that in more detail here: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=229622.msg12465327#msg12465327). Fully expecting to be a) blocked or b) further ignored you can imagine my shock when he not only replied within minutes but we had a reasonable (and pleasant!) exchange in which he agreed to pay me back and hashed out the details. All good so far and, despite some wise words on here, I didn't expect there to be a hitch. The first payment date came and my bank account remained the same  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post). I left it for a few days before sending an email asking if all was ok with what we discussed since I hadn't received anything. The email was ignored. That was five days ago.

I don't feel that this has anything to do with the money. I know he has it, can certainly afford the repayment schedule we agreed (which was actually much more lenient than he was entitled to - even he knew that and thanked me for being understanding!), and due to the nature of his job he is one of the most legally minded people I've ever met and will be well aware of how our email exchange would serve in my favor should I wish to take this down a legal route.

Q1: What is behind this behavior?

Based on what I have studied here I think it could possibly be rooted in the following - I may be wrong so please feel free to comment! I really would appreciate it.

- Control: Is this a way for him to gain and exert control? Thinking about it, he's actually had little control of this situation since it erupted 3 months ago. I didn't chase, didn't beg, didn't kick up a stink which I know would have driven him crazy. I walked away drama free and I'm guessing that wasn't actually part of his plan.

- Punishment: Does he deliberately want to make this a hassle for me? Does he want me to get desperate and beg for my money? (But then why be absolutely fine in the first email exchange? He could have made it difficult from the start!)

- Links: A member here suggested repayment of my money could trigger his abandonment issues. Does he want to ensure this link between us remains? This money will take some time to repay though so it's not like the link would be lost immediately. He also (rather annoyingly!) still has quite a lot of my stuff at his place if he's worried about keeping links... .

- Attention Seeking: Boy does he love attention! This was one of his strongest BPD traits. I think he must rue the day he met me as I'm very calm and low key! I think the lack of drama that I caused around our split (something he was very used to, and got a lot of, in previous relationships) made him feel insignificant. He subtly tried and failed to provoke reactions from me in the weeks after the split. So does he now want a fuss, he wants me to chase and he wants my attention?

Q2: What the heck happened in the 12 days between correspondence?

Have I gone from black to white to black? Did I catch him off guard with my first email and now he has had time to formulate his grand master plan? Was the first exchange a devious attempt to lure me in? What the heck?

Q3: How do I best handle my next communication with him?

I'm very reluctant to feed into his need for drama, I feel like he wants me to get angry and he wants a rise out of me. I am also reluctant (at this point) to get aggressive or threatening (i.e the "we can do this the easy way or the hard way" approach!). I am leaning towards something along the lines of "Hey X, I don't think this is about the money. So what's going on? Talk to me" kinda thing. What would happen with that approach? Or a lighthearted "Well it's generally easier to sort these things if we communicate with each other". What would a lighthearted approach do?

Any thoughts, ideas, advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

BR xx

P.S Also it might be helpful for me to give you a sense of where my head is post split. I'm doing really well, I've moved on a considerable amount. I don't hate my ex at all, I am able to depersonalize his behavior considerably and I see him as someone with a mental illness.
seeking balance
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 04:43:28 PM »

Hi BlondeRunner,

I remember your last thread.  The thing is, his behavior is consistent with what we see on the legal board regarding payment and such.  Although you are not divorcing, not paying you back may feel to him like you are not leaving him - thus the abandonment button.  For a much more detailed explanation on legal and BPD minds - read Bill Eddy's book Splitting - it will answer all your questions.

Honestly, if I were in your shoes, I would contact an attorney and get a consult.  He owes you money.  I recall suggesting you send him an email of what he agreed to - did you do this so you have record?  Or does the email exchange map this out clearly?

Your options are:

- let go and write off the money as tuition in the school of BPD life

- get legal consult

I am sorry you find yourself here.

Peace,

SB

Faith does not grow in the house of certainty - The Shack
BlondeRunner

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 05:33:16 PM »

Hi seeking balance

You are indeed the wise member I mentioned above!

The thing is, his behavior is consistent with what we see on the legal board regarding payment and such.

Well looking on the positive side at least he is consistent!  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

Although you are not divorcing, not paying you back may feel to him like you are not leaving him - thus the abandonment button.

I'll never understand it - he left me! I am the one who is blocked - not the other way round! I wanted to talk -  he gave me the cold shoulder! Just. Wow. 

I sought legal advice a while back when I was mulling over what to do so that's all taken care of and yes, the email exchange mapped out what was owed, when it was to be paid back etc etc.

It's just at this point I am quite reluctant to go down a heavy handed legal route and if we can sort this ourselves then all the better (although something tells me that may not be possible and I am living in LaLa Land with that thought!) so I would like to try and figure out a way forward before I drop a legal letter on his lap.

You know, I must be nuts. Sometimes I forget I am dealing with a fully diagnosed pwBPD because I read the boards here and think "Wow, that's awful but I don't think X would do that" or "Jeez! I am so lucky X isn't like that!" and yet I am surprised when he displays absolutely predictable behavior. Amazing.
seeking balance
Retired Staff

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 05:47:30 PM »

so I would like to try and figure out a way forward before I drop a legal letter on his lap.

Ummm... .with all respect - isn't that what the last email exchange was about?

I get it, I drug my feet filing for divorce for months, I thought we could work it out. My situation was different, yada yada... .well, I learned every lesson the hard way in the beginning.  Certainly my ex was different... .

pwBPD have a sense of entitlement that is baffling.  I know you don't want to play hardball, but vegas odds are you are going to be pushed into it.  He has absolutely no reason to pay you back right now... .keeping the money, he keeps control.  If he were going to pay, he would.

Sorry for the dose of reality - I sugar coated it in the last thread for you to give him the benefit of the doubt.  At this point, you gotta look at the facts:

- he owes you money

- you set up a very fair arrangement for payback

- he neglected to pay you

- he refuses to communicate now

Do you have any other choice or do you want more of the same?

- I know this sucks

BlondeRunner

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 06:09:35 PM »

so I would like to try and figure out a way forward before I drop a legal letter on his lap.

Ummm... .with all respect - isn't that what the last email exchange was about?

Yes, completely and I'm well aware. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely no pushover who's sitting crying into her keyboard over this issue. In fact I was talking with family earlier and said that really, I've been more than reasonable and should just head down the legal route now. I gave him his chance and that's that. Of course I don't want to, it'll be a headache but I do recognize that is giving me very little choice.

I'm just really trying to understand this behavior - it is so beyond the realm of the bizarre! I mean why have the first exchange?  Why not be difficult from the outset?  Does he really think that behaving like this gives him "control" and a "link" that he can call upon in the future? If anything it totally pushes me the other way!

BR x
seeking balance
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 06:17:14 PM »

I'm just really trying to understand this behavior - it is so beyond the realm of the bizarre!

Understanding BPD, a very real mental illness - gotta look at the facts is all.  One of the key facts is radical acceptance that this ain't gonna be logical to you 

I mean why have the first exchange? 

Because you asked for it

Why not be difficult from the outset? 

Why push you away when he was pulling you close to trust him and not abandon him

Does he really think that behaving like this gives him "control" and a "link" that he can call upon in the future? If anything it totally pushes me the other way!

He wins either way with you saying this.

I Hate You, Don't Leave Me

You don't file legally - he keeps control

You do file legally - see, you really are horrible and trying to abandon him

There is no reason once these relationships have fractured to this point - wanting it to be reasonable is... .well, not reasonable on your part.

It is not fun, there is no "fair" enough - it just is.  And it sucks.  Sorry

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest