Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 05:57:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did your exBPD hold everything they did for you over your head?  (Read 754 times)
downwhim

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2014, 12:19:29 AM »

Like Hope I do have to say the first couple of years he was good to me. Flowers, cards, helping around the house etc.  When he painted me black is when it got so bad.
rollercoaster24

Relationship status: Living apart six months

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2014, 03:41:50 AM »

Hi everyone, great post.

Wow, where do I start?

My ex; Hmmm

1 lived at mine for 2 years for free virtually, probably brought small amounts of groceries (a couple of times), and paid me $500 when he sold a car at one point and came into $3800. Within a short time, he was broke again, and reliant on his unemployment money, and back to getting cash off me every week as well as being fed, having his washing done, showers, air conditioning luxury, and paying for his cigarettes too.

2 Once sanded and half painted, the roof of my car, but never finished it, like anything else he ever offered to do for me.

3. Would 'help me' at my work in the evenings, (I was working alone and split shifts), this would consist of him vacuuming 3 mats, all of about 15 minutes. The rest of the time, he would sit out the back in his car, smoking like a chimney, and harassing me every five minutes, coming in and trying to start a fight. By the way, he was not consistent with his help either, I would be lucky if he actually helped more than 3 nights of the week.

4. He inherited $5K at one point, and again, he brought a couple of lots of groceries or takeaways, used the money to pay his bills he said, but it didn't last long at all and was gone in a matter of a month, all whilst he was collecting his unemployment, living rent/responsibility free, and also selling car parts that 'he found'.

5. I thought his behaviour might improve somewhat when he came into money, (without the pressure of being constantly broke) but I was wrong, he still acted like a jerk.

6. I foolishly took him to another work site I was at sole charge, and he repeatedly stole from there, admitting to me later. It didn't seem to matter to him that there were cameras there, oddly, I almost felt he wanted me to get in trouble for it. Add to this, he would insist on going to 'help me get it done quicker' yet his antics and abuse made that virtually impossible. I was forced to tell him that he could no longer accompany me there, such was the massive stress he caused.

7. He found an old van and paid $90 for it, asked me if I wanted it for a project, (which I gave him back immediately) and I proceeded to keep it and work on getting parts for it for 2 years, until I could afford to get it licensed. After that 2 years was up, he was staying back at his elderly parents, working flat out on his own car project, (another story entirely) and announced that he was ready to do some work on my van for me, and I was to bring it up so he could. After which I could go about taking it for inspection and hopefully getting it licensed.

8 I took the van up to him, since he was pressuring me to get it licensed finally, so I booked it in for an inspection a week after he had it up there, and he exploded at me for putting so much pressure on him, yet he had insisted I get the process of inspection started!

9. Once he knew the inspection date, he left the van sitting for a week, and worked on it at the weekend, (2 days before the inspection), all he had to do, was put seat covers on, do a few bolts up underneath, and change the door hinges on one side. I offered to help get it done, and he refused, raging at me.

10. Of course the van wasn't ready, so I had to pay another $60, (after the initial $90) to take it over the pits again for a second inspection after the required repair amendments were done, he raged at me about this, yet finally got the small amount of stuff finished, and took it back over the pits, it passed, so I was ordered to come up that day, and license it so we could take it for a drive together to celebrate.

11 I drove up there, waited in line, and paid out $400 to license it, then drove back to pick him up and we drove to his nearby city of choice to sit amongst all the Swedish backpackers he likes to rave on about, (their favourites are the same types of van). I think he was OK that day, and didn't rage much, although later on at night he did. Some time later, he threw it back at me, that I owed him around $20k for 'fixing the van'.

Pfffft what a joke. I had done and paid for most of the work on it for the 2 years it sat in my driveway, not to mention the hours I put into searching for the right parts.

12. He often stole things and sold them, telling me he 'found them' on roadside recycling.

13. Around 2011 he brought himself a $1700 car, for a project, without telling me, all whilst living off me, and collecting the unemployment. Guess who had to help him out financially even more because he was paying it off? He put this car at his parents, and proceeded to work fanatically on it every time he was on a 'hiatus' from me, (after another of his rages and breakup activations). To this day, he has never finished it, and currently it is still in storage which he also cannot afford on the unemployment payment.

14. Anything he ever did for me, he never finished, it was never consistent, and he would always throw it in my face immediately after he had done it. Meanwhile, I consistently helped him out on a daily basis, unless I was NC during his rage attacks, my help consisted of validating his acting out on the phone, or in person, giving him money for food and cigarettes, buying him clothes, (he was never happy with anything I got him despite getting him things I was told he liked and would fit him). Running around after him when he needed help with yet another drama, (there were many), accompanying him on trips or outings, (none of which were things that were my choice), taking photos for him whilst he sold things on the net, storing things for him that he was 'going to sell', a lot of which I would shift around my property to make room, or tidy up the yard, and ended up having to give them away because he had given up making an effort to sell them on.

15. He has now been unemployed for almost 7 years, and is telling people that I abused him, and it is now my fault he is homeless and unemployed. When I met him, I was told it was his brothers fault he was homeless and unemployed, so the story goes on, as to whoever he can find that he can con into feeling sorry for him. Unfortunately I was one of those people for way too long.

Moselle

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

Every day is a gift. Live it fully

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2014, 04:06:30 AM »

I was always accused of showing love by "gifts of service", or helping people, including her and her chaotic schedule. She wanted to loved by "touch". Well, she got both so Im still really at a loss of what the hell she was talking about. Just another thing that confused the hell out of me in the r/s... .still does.

I had to laugh about this. My dBPD/NPDw had a great quick fix for our relationship. She made me do the love languages on line test,  and hers came out as... .wait for it... ."gifts and service"

I knew nothing about BPD then and I assumed that this the best news I had ever heard. I finally knew what I could do to stop the bizarre self hatred and hatred towards me which she exhibited.

I now recognise the (dys)logic in her brain went as follows. "My husband is the cause of my low self esteem, he has never loved me in my love language. That is why I am so miserable". Being a good co-dependent, I bought this phony logic and proceeded to love her daily in gifts and service.

After 2 months of concerted gift giving and service,  I realised it had absolutely no effect whatsoever on her self loathing or self esteem.  Nor did it make any difference to an already eroding relationship.

Deeno02

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2014, 04:26:01 AM »

I was always accused of showing love by "gifts of service", or helping people, including her and her chaotic schedule. She wanted to loved by "touch". Well, she got both so Im still really at a loss of what the hell she was talking about. Just another thing that confused the hell out of me in the r/s... .still does.

I had to laugh about this. My dBPD/NPDw had a great quick fix for our relationship. She made me do the love languages on line test,  and hers came out as... .wait for it... ."gifts and service"

I knew nothing about BPD then and I assumed that this the best news I had ever heard. I finally knew what I could do to stop the bizarre self hatred and hatred towards me which she exhibited.

I now recognise the (dys)logic in her brain went as follows. "My husband is the cause of my low self esteem, he has never loved me in my love language. That is why I am so miserable". Being a good co-dependent, I bought this phony logic and proceeded to love her daily in gifts and service.

After 2 months of concerted gift giving and service,  I realised it had absolutely no effect whatsoever on her self loathing or self esteem.  Nor did it make any difference to an already eroding relationship.

If any woman I ever get involved with ever mentions that love language thing again, I'm running. Sick to death of hearing about it. That crap made absolutely zero impact other than cause her anger because I tried to help her with a chaotic schedule of 5 kids all involved in activities while she tried to get her life in order. Then, as I was being painted black and being cut out of her life and kids schedule so very slowly, I would ask, beg to help. Constantly told don't worry about it, or I got it. I would simply say, well, please let me know. She never did. So, I stopped asking.Then she would have the nerve to b___ at me for not helping, so I would volunteer to help, she would then say, don't worry about it, or I got it... wow. Totally made me feel like a POS.
Moselle

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2014, 04:53:05 AM »

If any woman I ever get involved with ever mentions that love language thing again, I'm running. Sick to death of hearing about it. That crap made absolutely zero impact other than cause her anger because I tried to help her with a chaotic schedule of 5 kids all involved in activities while she tried to get her life in order. Then, as I was being painted black and being cut out of her life and kids schedule so very slowly, I would ask, beg to help. Constantly told don't worry about it, or I got it. I would simply say, well, please let me know. She never did. So, I stopped asking.Then she would have the nerve to b___ at me for not helping, so I would volunteer to help, she would then say, don't worry about it, or I got it... wow. Totally made me feel like a POS.

It sounds like yours has a healthy dose of NP as well. Is she very high functioning?. Jeez, I fell into a similar pattern!

Deeno02

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2014, 04:56:00 AM »

It sounds like yours has a healthy dose of NP as well. Is she very high functioning?. Jeez, I fell into a similar pattern!

Very much so. Excellent VB coach. Focused on the game. Every thing else?... .hit or miss
WhyMe?

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2014, 06:22:53 AM »

Maybe not things she did but things she got for me, and very specifically my phone. She gave me a phone the first christmas we were together and during many arguments she would out of no where say "give me MY phone back" one day i got sick of her saying that and i just chucked it in the middle of the street.

The funny thing is that i later came to find out that she purchsed this phone with a stolen credit card.

Mine bought me a futon we had seen while Christmas shopping after my divorce. I loved it because it was small and could fold up. Twin sized. As he gifted it to me he was careful to mention he only got the 6" mattress as that's all he could afford. Over and over I heard that.

Twice in the next few months he dismantled it in the middle of the night during an argument. The arguments were caused by him wanting to discuss the relationship because he didn't feel loved. Because I needed to sleep and offered to talk in the morning instead I was ungrateful and no good and he was going to take that away from me.

One of those nights as he was taking to apart - he always wanted me to help too Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) - he was ranting about the food he had just bought for me. So I went downstairs and packed it up. The look on his face when he came down with the first piece of the futon was priceless.

And he never actually packed it in his car and left. It was like he was expecting me to throw myself at his feet and beg him to stay and it confused him when I didn't.

Another thing he'd often do was tell me he had already called a friend to help him leave my house, or handle me when he got me so frustrated I would scream. Sometimes he made those calls in front of me. He was always insistent that he had nothing to hide and had given me his passwords. I got into his phone account and it turned out he wasn't even making a call, he was just pretending. It was all a way of controlling me.

going places

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2014, 06:55:30 AM »

Excerpt

Love Languages BS makes it look like if the man just buys the woman stuff and puts on a 'face' to sit and 'listen' to her; then she is complete. On the flip, if a woman would just fawn all over her man, constantly touching, stroking his ego, and having sex; he is complete.

The only complete thing about "Love Languages" is that it's complete crap.

There is more to a relationship than getting flowers and gifts on the days Hallmark says to give them, and putting out whenever he wants. This worthless book keeps people in bad relationships by guilting them into thinking if they are not "providing their SO's *Love Language*" then YOU are to blame for the failure.

OY.

Love languages is a go button for me.

Ex and I saw a 'Biblical Counselor' that was a Narc himself; an arrogant puffed up male chauvinist pig; and used God's Word to manipulate woman into unholy submission to their sick, sin wrecked husbands... .

It was so effed up.

Ok, carefully climbing down off my soap box... .
WhyMe?

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2014, 07:21:34 AM »

Oh geez, my ex-HUSBAND did that love languages stuff with me. Once he realized the marriage was failing, after years of treating me a certain (not so good) way, he did an about face and found forums and articles. He was constantly sending me stuff and insisting I do quizes to improve our relationship. I never went to therapy WITH him but I did go prior to our divorce, and my T felt he had NPD traits. Once I was divorced others said that about him as well - they just never wanted to say so while we were together. Except for one coworker who originally thought he was just a customer by the way he treated me - that said a lot right there.
Leaving

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2014, 08:20:19 AM »

GoingPlaces,

You wrote:

"Ex and I saw a 'Biblical Counselor' that was a Narc himself; and arrogant puffed up male chauvinist pig; and used God's Word to manipulate woman into unholy submission to their sick, sin wrecked husbands... .

It was so effed up."

Everyone BEWARE:

My NPD/BPD husband went to see a female therapist who caused a very severe escalation of Passive Aggressive abuse ( worst than I had ever experienced) and destructive BPD behaviors. In fact, my husband's behavior became extremely psychotic for about a 3 week period.  The woman worked for a Christian Psychotherapy place but the religious issue wasn't the problem for us.  She simply was not experienced enough to recognize NPD or any other character disorder and hence, put me in grave danger. I eventually had to call that office and explain to them what was happening.  However, it didn't help. 

The counselor painted me as an abusive controlling wife and she even encouraged my husband to report me to the police if I became violent or aggressive.  He had convinced her that he was a poor victim who had been abused by everyone all his life and the counselor responded by giving him assertiveness training.  Just what every abuser needs! 

Please heed my warnings because during his assertiveness training,  my husband would aggressively bait me into an altercation and if I got angry at all he would accuse me of being abusive. Even though I wouldn't respond or walked away he would chase after me accusing me of ignoring him, never having anything to say, always walking away and neglecting him and not wanting to face the truth. He would say, ' I see how you are, you're just like the counselor said, you avoid me because you cant have control and bully me and you don't like me being strong."   He would scream horrible things at me ( that were projections of himself) that he knew would upset me and anger me.  If I locked myself in my office, he would pound on the door screaming for me to open it.

Based on my experience, I would not recommend that anyone living with this type of partner suggest counseling without being present in the sessions. If you don't want to attend the sessions but are still living at home with them, then don't suggest counseling at all until you leave and at that point, you shouldn't care anyway.  I know this sounds very radical and perhaps unreasonable but please consider what happened to me.   At the point that my husband decided to go to therapy it was only because I was leaving and of course, he was attempting to patronize me.  I didn't attend any his sessions because I didn't care at that point about mutual counseling ( we had already tried that a few times unsuccessfully) but I was still living with him.  I had hoped he would get help and there was a small glimmer of hope in me that it would help but I never imagined that he would become a delusional and psychotic passive aggressive.  My husband is a covert abuser and the scariest thing that occurred right after his first session was after I had just cleaned the bathroom, he smeared feces all over the walls, shower curtain and the freshly washed white rug and when he brushed his teeth, he spit the contents of his mouth all over the sink basin and counter.  I was so freaked out by the whole scene that I thought I was going to die from sheer panic.   I called a shelter for help, called a woman I knew for advice and I had to pretend for two days that I didn't notice what was in the bathroom.  I had to place plastic drop cloth over the rug and counters just so I could take a shower and then remove it so that my husband wouldn't know that I was working around his abuse.   I had to brush my teeth and style my hair in our kitchen after he left for work.  Two days later, he finally 'quietly' cleaned the bathroom one morning but he didn't have time to wash the rug and curtain. A few days later he came to me in a very boyish demeanor and said that he was planning to wash the rug and curtain but never mentioned why or what he had done. I pretended that it was 'normal' but in 18 years, he's never once offered to wash anything or clean anything.  It was obvious that the little guilty boy living inside of him was trying to fix what he broke.   

There were many other very scary incidents and he truly looked possessed by evil. The escalation always occurred the day before his therapy and for two days after it.  I stayed in a hotel from Sunday until Wednesday ( his therapy was on Mondays) every week until he quit going to therapy.

It was always difficult for my husband and I to seek counseling together because he would ask me to make the appt and then he would get angry at the therapist and blame it on the fact that the therapist liked me more and hated him.  If he made the appt and we went together, it was the same result and he would quit going and blame it on the fact that he didn't like the therapist.  I hate to sound so jaded and hopeless but honestly, I just don't see how there can be a winning combination that will produce a positive outcome.  It's always been a no win, no gain experience for me. My husband just wanted a very passive counselor who would just charge him to listen to him whine and brag about himself.  Anytime a therapist would ask him to write anything down or practice a certain type of dynamic with me, he would get angry and quit.

If for any reason you want to seek therapy with your BPD spouse, make sure that you find someone with specialized training in character disorders and speak to them on the phone before you go with your spouse.  I'm not exaggerating the importance of this.  Your safety and well being are at risk. 

going places

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2014, 08:30:45 AM »

WOW Leaving, I am so sorry.

My ex made sure that when he 'spoke to someone' (never saw a licensed professional, only 'church counselors) that they were easy to manipulate.  It made him look like HE was the good guy, and it made him look like HE was 'trying'... .and made me out to be the bad guy. (which he did our entire 25 years of marriage).

Those people are NOT equipped to deal with REAL personality disorders.

My doctor told me that the 'Biblical counselor' we saw did more damage to me than she could calculate.

Telling me to NEVER speak to anyone about what happened... .or "I was an unforgiving disobedient wife".

SO, me and my PTSD and depression, remained silent... .for a year... .until I was ready to pull the trigger.

Then I talked.

My doc's emotions went from weeping in the exam room, to fury at what this CLOWN counselor said.

He went so far as to tell the ex HE thought "i was just jealous of his porn addiction'... .What the heck?

So yeah, don't waste your time seeing someone at church.

They are not trained or equipped to deal with real monsters.
peiper

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2014, 08:58:58 AM »

It's amazing how they play the victim so well. I don't miss that one bit. My exBPD was as childish as they come. Being only 22,  she was still young anyhow.  Her family full of enablers doesn't help either. When we moved in together, we agreed that I pay all the bills, she does all the cleaning. That didn't last long. She began to complain that I never help around the house, but if I mentioned that I paid $1000 in bills a month and never asked for a dime from her... there was he11 to pay.

I can relate to this on so many levels. I paid the bills, she kept what she made and never cleaned.
Leaving

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2014, 11:27:58 AM »

Going,

Jealous... .oh boy, the therapists are cut from the same cookie cutter curriculum.

Oh yes, my husband's therapist told him that I was jealous of his good looks and youthful appearance and that is why I'm such an abusive wife and hate him going to his yoga class.  i'm throughly convinced now how dangerous psychotherapists can be.  I've been through a nightmare and like you I have PTSD. 

It takes immense strength and maturity to live with my spouse until I can get out of here.  The things my husband says and accuses me of and the validation he gets from his therapist are quite upsetting to me but, I know the truth and that she isn't aware of who my husband truly is and I have to just let it all roll off of me.  Even so, I can't help but want to tell her and show her what a day in my life really looks like.  I wish I could tell her that I don't care about him going to yoga ( please!  how silly is that?) but what I do mind is that he always puts himself and his pleasure first and neglects all the adult responsiblities.   I would also tell her that her counseling has given my husband EVEN MORE permission to abandon his adult responsibilities and dump them on me because he now believes that he is EVEN MORE entitled to put his pleasure first.  Like another poster, I was the one who had to handle the finances and all the  housework and all the adult stuff while my husband went to work every day like a teen with no responsibilities.  I also had to handle all of my husband's passive aggressive catastrophes.  This past weekend, the cable company came to disconnect the cable. I didn't want cable TV but my husband did so I told him that as long as HE handles that one bill and I don't have to be involved, then I don't care what he does.  He can't even pay the one bill and he ignores their calls on his phone. 

Two months ago, he came to me demanding new equipment for our company that would cost about ten grand.  I didn't have that kind of money and I explained to him that I needed to budget for that and can't come up with that on last minute's notice.  My husband got quiet ( covert anger was brewing) and walked out of the house.  I knew something awful was about to happen and I was so nervous.  Two days later, I received a call from him.  He had totaled our trailer and all our equipment.  This wasn't the first time he's done that. He totaled my car on my birthday and blamed me suggesting that it was because he had to buy me a birthday present and if it wasn't my birthday, he wouldn't have wrecked. He hates feeling obligated to do anything.  I never received a birthday gift ever again- since 1999- and he tells me every year that the reason is because I was so ungrateful that year and angry at him for buying the present that he did. When I remind him  that I was upset about the accident and angry about being blamed for it,  he talks over me, yells and completely ignores me. Ironically, he tells other people that he's planning a big party for me and is going to cook me a special dinner and buy me a wonderful gift.  No one believes that my husband could lie or neglect me as he does.   It's these types of incidents that have  created so much fear and trauma in me. 
slimmiller

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2014, 12:10:06 PM »

When my ex and I first got together she helped me pay off one bill and she never forgot that. Ever.  She paid a few hundred bucks on the final loan on my Harley.  I paid thousands and thousands on her delinquent loans, car, student loans, credit cards, bills her ex create (yeah right... ) and yet she never forgot the few hundred bucks she pitched in to pay off the bike.

And the only reason I paid it off a few month early was to be able to pay (finance I should say) a cruise that we just HAD to go on because they are so much fun.

Like her own father says, she has chapagne tastes on a pepsi budget. And guess who always pays for everything. Eyup. Used to be me but now its the new supply...

I feel sorry for the schmuck
hope2727

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2014, 01:29:38 PM »

Yup I watched my ex manipulate his counsellor and lie about me. She told me I have to deal with my jealousy of his friends. Bahahahaha. I called them on it and made it clear I wasn't jealous of his friends I was offended by them. That they treat my ex and I like crap and then he comes home and that crap runs downhill onto me. She was gob smacked. She sat there with her chin hanging down and quietly responded to him "yeah you can't do that".

Now he is lying to a new psychologist. He wrote me an email asking me to come to an apt to tell me how I have hurt him. I asked what the parameters  were and if I could voice how I'd been hurt. Then I got delayed and postponed and put off until I put a time limit

On my willingness to attend. At which point I got "you will never see my counsellor because that's were it is all about me. And i don't want you coming there and acting like the victim. I AM the Victim. Yeah right that is where he can lie his face of and play his poor pitiful me card.  Idea

Wow I really needed to write that today as I miss him so much I apart called him. Thanks guys you saved me.

DON'T TOUCH THE KRYPTONITE.!

Whew that was a close one.
Leaving

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2014, 06:58:13 AM »

"That they treat my ex and I like crap and then he comes home and that crap runs downhill onto me. She was gob smacked. She sat there with her chin hanging down and quietly responded to him "yeah you can't do that".

I have experienced the exact same scenario with my husband's friends.  Actually my husband allows everyone to treat him like crap and then he dumps all his repressed anger on me.  That is a horrible no win situation to get into because if we say something and point out how someone screwed them and how it hurts us and why we're upset, then it's even easier for them to be angry at us and blame us because we're the ones making it an issue.  My husband accused me of being abusive because I would say things like, ' How can you be so stupid and self destructive and irresponsible' when I was angry or panicked. Everything I would say would get filtered through is victim lens.    It's been very difficult to accept that my husband would rather invest his time, money and 'emotions' in people who couldn't care any less about him and prefers to neglect and abuse his wife- the ONLY person who has ever cared about him.  His parents don't even care about him and his mother said to me on our wedding day, ' Well, finally he's not my problem anymore'.

I should  note that one of the reasons I was attracted to my husband in the first place is because I felt sorry for him because he seemed like such a gentle nice man that everyone took advantage of. His parents were so cold and uncaring which only made me want to nurture him even more. We met at work and our coworkers would roll their eyes anytime we talked about my husband.  They would say cruel things about him and it angered me that people could be so cruel. SO, I felt compelled to save the underdog and well, here I am with a terrible mess to clean up.  Despite all the adversity, there is a silver lining.  I've outgrown that codependency by leaps and bounds and I will never ever accept anyone into my life who isn't 'whole' ever again. My marriage hell was just so awful that it truly cured my codependence!  I no longer feel any attachment to my narcissistic mother either.  Emotional freedom feels very healthy :D

My husband's perception of people is so skewed.  He sees everyone else as a nice person and a hero of sorts.  Every single person he associates with has screwed him and he knows that and gets angry in the moment but he continues to cater to them on an off, on and off while beating me up.  The drama is exhausting.  Our business relationships have also been this way and he's dragged me into the trenches of unnecessary drama just because he can't reason and be logical.  My husband stole a lot of money from our company to give to a felon ' friend'  because the felon lost his job for stealing from his employer.  At the time, they were working together at the same company. Because there was a court case, all the employees were warned that if they associated with this man at all, they would be fired.  My husband dismissed the warning, stole money from our company that we couldn't afford to give and gave it to the ungrateful felon who harassed us for even more  and eventually the company fired my husband too.   My husband has put me and our business in harm's way many times. 

"Wow I really needed to write that today as I miss him so much I apart called him. Thanks guys you saved me. "

It's a good idea to keep a daily journal.  Thankfully, I kept one since 1999 and I have more than enough documented experiences to remind me that leaving is absolutely necessary.  I refer to it often!   It's never easy to leave a relationship but it's even more difficult when there is an unhealthy codependent dynamic.  The best thing you can do for yourself right now is to focus on your own emotional healing, establishing healthy relationships and removing the toxic ones and reaping wisdom from your experience that will protect you from choosing an unhealthy partner in the future. 
going places

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2014, 07:10:35 AM »

Excerpt
It's been very difficult to accept that my husband would rather invest his time, money and 'emotions' in people who couldn't care any less about him and prefers to neglect and abuse his wife- the ONLY person who has ever cared about him.

I could have typed this.

I could go on and on about his father, mother, and brother (along with sil).

Leaches.

I could go on and on about his friends who disrespected me (and him).

And they were leaches.

Crappy people at work, that only want to be around him because he had 'something they wanted'.

Leaches.

So when *I* eliminate these folks from our family (we have 3 kids) to protect MY KIDS from these kinds of people?

*I* look like the bad guy, the monster, etc.

Um, no... .I didn't want my kids to think this kind of soul sucking behavior is normal!

Ex would put so much energy and effort into pleasing / getting noticed by some really crappy people, but turn around and treat me like garbage, ignore me, or spend all of his time online with his picture friends instead of with me.

So thankful I am no longer in this situation.

SO thankful
Sandman1881

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2014, 01:00:24 PM »

When my ex and I first got together she helped me pay off one bill and she never forgot that. Ever. 

Mine was 1500 for a lawyer. That I now know she was flirting with!

The list of reminders of my incompetence was so long I couldn't keep up. And right at the top of that list was that damn 1500.

Yes EVERYTHING!
Leaving

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2014, 05:19:01 PM »

Going,

I commend you on your strength and courage to set those family boundaries despite the backlash.  I know how tough that can be and I don't even  have kids!  Kids make it even more difficult so kudos to you!

This is my first Christmas that I won't be celebrating with anyone ( both my dogs passed this year as well)  and you know what?  As sad as I feel for myself ( I'm having a pity party) I also feel relieved and so glad that I'm not going to be engaging with my in laws and their family or any other toxic vampires.  They are all enablers in denial and they are the reason why my husband is as he is.  If I had children I would never allow them to be alone around them and any contact would be absolutely limited to once or twice a year.  I've never known such spineless selfish people in my life.  Both my husband's parents are narcissists and I think they have other issues too.  Something is definitely rotten in Denmark! 

I don't know what your husband's family was like but maybe there is a similar pattern in your husband's family. My in laws are radical religious Bible thumpers that make G-d accountable for everything in their life.  My husband's  father is an insecure control freak that needs attention all the time and they hit and beat their kids for punishment.  The mother was an only child of a mother who was so emotionally damaged that she was never emotionally available and his father was the son of an abusive alcoholic.  The entire family including nieces/nephews have repressed anger issues and they are all passive-aggressive. It's no wonder his sister died so young from cancer.  She had married a man like our husbands and she was so worn out and full of stress and so alone despite her circle of 'friends' and large family.  She had a huge family and not a single one of them, including my husband, ever bothered to care enough about her to notice that she was sick or stressed or worn down.  how does a person lose 200 lbs and no one notice? My husband hadn't even talked to his sister in over ten years but of course garnered sympathy from everyone upon her death as if he had lost someone special to him.  It was truly disgusting!  When she died, they had a huge shindig at their church.  They are great at memorializing everyone after they are dead but care nothing about them when they are alive.  I have it stated in my will that should I die while still married to my husband, he is not allowed to attend my funeral. 
downwhim

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2014, 10:44:36 AM »

Leaving, so Christmas will be about doing what you want. So great you are not going to be with the passive aggressive, Bible Thumpers for the holidays. How horrible would that be? My ex in-laws were a nightmare too> I am grateful every year I don't have to sit around the table and listen to the bu... .t. Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)
Leaving

« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2014, 12:54:43 PM »

Leaving, so Christmas will be about doing what you want. So great you are not going to be with the passive aggressive, Bible Thumpers for the holidays. How horrible would that be? My ex in-laws were a nightmare too> I am grateful every year I don't have to sit around the table and listen to the bu... .t. Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

I hear ya!  What are your plans for Christmas?  I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.  I volunteered as a chef for a mission for two days during T'giving and that really did help take my mind off my own problems but I'm not sure what to do for Christmas.  All I want for a Christmas is a really good job... and a little brick house ... .fa la la la  la la la la   

Earthbayne

« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2014, 06:36:22 PM »

All the time, and it hurted, because it made me feel like she never really did anything just out of the goodness of her heart. It made me feel like she was doing things just so she could use it as ammo at a later date.

Always.

Every.

Single.

Time.
Deeno02

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2014, 07:42:07 PM »

All the time, and it hurted, because it made me feel like she never really did anything just out of the goodness of her heart. It made me feel like she was doing things just so she could use it as ammo at a later date.

Always.

Every.

Single.

Time.

While raging, one of the things said to me was "you never buy me anything". Sorry, just trying to help you with you and your kids schedules so i could spend more time with you. Sorry, I didnt buy you all you wanted.
Loveofhislife

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2014, 08:12:47 PM »

I got used to being completely self-sufficient. My wife likes to make me feel incapable of taking care of myself though and always holds the things she does for me over my head day in and day out. It's manipulation and an attempt at controlling me. It's just ONE of the many ways she controls and manipulates situations with me.

BINGO! His handy man skills, which I begged him to stop doing, were obviously a manipulation; he was always trying to convince me that I NEEDED him! I have three adult kids whose chores he was supplanting in addition to lots of friends who HELP me. Even when he was paying back a pittance of what he owed me, paying me back was called HELPING ME: something I should be eternally thankful for.
enlighten me

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2014, 03:48:02 AM »

I think a lot of this behaviour is about their imahe and not about us. They have a need to show themselves as geeat at everything. The perfect person. Even though we wnd up getting put down its not about us as always its about them.

its not only us they do it wit. They do it with family, friends and work colleagues.

peiper

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2014, 04:50:28 AM »

I think a lot of this behaviour is about their imahe and not about us. They have a need to show themselves as geeat at everything. The perfect person. Even though we wnd up getting put down its not about us as always its about them.

Uq

its not only us they do it wit. They do it with family, friends and work colleagues.

I think a lot of it is showing the world how great they are. They have to keep the act going for everyone, including themselves. Kinda like the Wizard of Oz. Almighty wizard until you look behind the curtain, then you see a scared mean little person. Once they let us see behind the curtain they have to paint us black to save their fantasy of being perfect.
Moselle

« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2014, 05:15:14 AM »

Almighty wizard until you look behind the curtain, then you see a scared mean little person. Once they let us see behind the curtain they have to paint us black to save their fantasy of being perfect.

This is unfortunately very true. And to find out the truth after 14 years of marriage, is very painful.  It's hard to believe that I didn't know. Why do we as non's stay married to the tin man? Subconsciously we know something was wrong.

It's a bizarre experience to wake up from a BPD trance.

Deeno02

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2014, 06:19:08 AM »

Almighty wizard until you look behind the curtain, then you see a scared mean little person. Once they let us see behind the curtain they have to paint us black to save their fantasy of being perfect.

This is unfortunately very true. And to find out the truth after 14 years of marriage, is very painful.  It's hard to believe that I didn't know. Why do we as non's stay married to the tin man? Subconsciously we know something was wrong.

It's a bizarre experience to wake up from a BPD trance.

Because theres something wrong with us as well. Non's isnt a term we should use. No sane person tolerates the BS we did. We all knew something was not right, but we made a choice. If it was 2 months, 16 months, 15 years or 48 years, we all knew something was amiss. Why else would it hurt so badly? I keep going back to when I was 25. I never would have or never did put up with the crap with which I put up with in my 16 months. I would have dumped her ass and moved on. Part of being on here is to learn and I have. I have learned that I have issues with enabling, co-dependancy. Caught up in a trauma bond with her. I believe I also try and make it so Im not alone. Probably unresolved from being left by my wife, leaving me with my 2 kids. Working that issue right now and my ex wife and I have made amends and are freely discussing the how's and whys of that. I also think that my low esteem kept me from making boundaries. Who am I kidding, I had none, hence my perdictimate. My ex/gf? I will never get closure from her, dont think I really even need it. She's a deity all to her own. Nothing wrong with her, well, in her mind that is. Shutting the door on that. Bad part of this learning curb is my personality has taken a hit. I used to be so loving and caring, even with my own baggage, I made the effort to help where I could. Now? Dont trust anyone without further verification. Ive put in boundaries that my not be the best, almost draconian, but they work for me right now while I heal. We all tried to be loved and to love, but at some point, it became survival to us. Like the dudes rowing the boat to the drummer. Steady beat (things are normal) until its battle time. The speed of the drumming picks up as does the rowing. However, if you tire or get burnt out, your whipped. Who needs that crap in their life? Seriously... .
Leaving

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2014, 08:23:50 AM »

I really really want to see a therapist,  but I'm not sure I can afford it. I feel so emotionally drained from this experience. I felt like I did everything right and that if my ex didn't have BPD,  it would have been a great relationship.  I don't know if I can trust again so easily as I did with her.  Are there any affordable online therapists?

I don't know about online therapists but you may want to contact a local domestic abuse shelter or other organization and ask them if they have counselors available or can refer you to one. Although most shelters are for women, the counselors are aware that men can be victims as well.  Warning about online therapists-  if they are truly professional therapists that specialize in character disorders then they will be expensive.  The other so called therapists are not always 'good' and I had a horrible experience with one that was quite disturbing. 
Alex86

« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2014, 03:28:59 PM »

Uq

I think a lot of it is showing the world how great they are. They have to keep the act going for everyone, including themselves. Kinda like the Wizard of Oz. Almighty wizard until you look behind the curtain, then you see a scared mean little person. Once they let us see behind the curtain they have to paint us black to save their fantasy of being perfect.

I was started to being devaluated from the moment I saw behind that curtain. I didn't know anything about BPD back then and I tried to help her. I convinced her to see a therapist but then there were so many triggers. I had become a trigger myself. She would ask me: Will you love me after that? What if I don't be so childish?

I was also afraid myself of this. That she might change. I was trying to support her by flowers, gifts etc. But afterwards we broke up. During a last conversation with her she told me that I hadn't done certain things to make her feel that I cared. And if I really have loved her, I would have thought of them.

I gave my whole self to her. I also don't think that I will trust anyone so much. I feel so sorry, even now 4.5 months later.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest