Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 04:20:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Beware of Junk Psychology... Just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean it's true. Not all blogs and online "life coaches" are reliable, accurate, or healthy for you. Remember, there is no oversight, no competency testing, no registration, and no accountability for many sites - it is up to you to qualify the resource. Learn how to navigate this complicated arena...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "I don't need to justify myself or my Actions to You" (Self-Righteousness)  (Read 412 times)
Reecer1588

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Single

« on: February 24, 2015, 11:58:46 AM »

So I'm not really sure if this is the right part of the forums to be posting this question, but I wanted to know if anyone has heard this statement before, or something along those lines, and what it could be a signal of.

Here's my whole story: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=271943.0

I don't want anything to be taken out of context.

I'm 19 years old, so is my uBPDexgf. Like most people of our generation, we texted a TON. This is where she really had control over me, where most of my verbal abuse (including silent treatment) came from.

Sometimes, over text message,  I would directly confront my ex with time signatures, proof, etc. of exactly how she had manipulated me.

And more often than not, her answer was (and increasingly became) "I don't have to justify myself to you"

She became extremely self-righteous. When confronted with direct evidence, this was her response.

Is this common for BPD? Or more narcissistic?

Has anyone else encountered this statement? This sort of self-righteousness in High-functioning BPDs?
wavelife

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 02:09:00 PM »

ha, yep!

My wife would often say, I can justify everything I have done but I do not have to justify it to you.

She would manipulate fact and even biblical scripture to justify anything... .at the end it was just more manipulation and lies.
thatwasthat

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 03:02:52 PM »

She never explicitly used these words, but she didn't have to... .She was way too good at bringing this very point across otherwise.

Also very popular: counter accusations.

I could almost physically feel how she started spinning when confronted with logic. One would expect that someone at least recognizes the absolute logic and then switches to partly admitting to spin around. Not so much if you deal with someone with that level of insanity, absolutely unable to even "lie"  logically.  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter-accusations

If you really go to the bottom of it, strip all these discussions and arguments of all the "grown-up verbiage"... .What is left... .A child being caught red handed.
thatwasthat

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 03:07:26 PM »

Also... .Thinking back... .

When faced with something undeniable she just confronted me with something I did or was doing. Always something absolutely outlandish and basically impossible to prove otherwise.

That way you get caught up in explaining yourself instead of her having to do so.

"Me cheating? YOU are trying to get back together with your ex! "

The fact that we had just gotten married two weeks earlier, that my ex was living on a different continent, I hadn't seen her in years, had other gfs in between... .Didn't matter.

"YOU WANT THE PIE AND EAT IT TOO."

LMAO.
raisins3142

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 02:40:43 AM »

Anyone that states "I don't have to justify my actions to you" or "I can do whatever I'd like" are absolutely correct.

However, we are also free.  We are free to walk if they cross our boundaries, just as they are free to cross our boundaries.
Tibbles

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 03:05:26 AM »

My ex was very self righteous. Never said he doesn't have to justify himself - Loved giving long explanations of why he was right all the time. Loved those monologues - NOT.
goateeki

Relationship status: Married 19 years

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 01:29:41 PM »

Anyone that states "I don't have to justify my actions to you" or "I can do whatever I'd like" are absolutely correct.

However, we are also free.  We are free to walk if they cross our boundaries, just as they are free to cross our boundaries.

Raisins, again I commend you on your approach to this.  You seem to really understand the disorder and really have your act together.  Great statements.
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 02:01:03 PM »

She became extremely self-righteous. When confronted with direct evidence, this was her response.

Is this common for BPD? Or more narcissistic?

Has anyone else encountered this statement? This sort of self-righteousness in High-functioning BPDs?

My ex partner displays the same traits.

If I present logic, facts and proof; she dissociates by way of lying and thus alters events, reality, and remembers things differently.

Dissociation has many forms and is a common coping mechanism with a pwBPD. If facts don't match her feelings she'll alter reality to match her feelings.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest