Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 05, 2024, 05:05:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is she hurting too?  (Read 1017 times)
shatterd

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: April 26, 2015, 10:00:25 AM »

Not sure why this matters, i would to like to think she in the same place as me or worse.

This post is pretty open i know   feel free to comment
Mike-X

Relationship status: living apart

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 10:09:26 AM »

Not sure why this matters, i would to like to think she in the same place as me or worse.

I am sorry. I believe that this is a common feeling. It has come up in different ways on the boards a lot, and I certainly have experienced it. In fact, I was wrestling with this last night and earlier this morning. It seems to be a part of grieving.

Can you elaborate on what you are feeling?
dobie

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 10:14:50 AM »

I can't speak for yours shatterd but mine was fine after the first week and that's when the real anger and lack of empathy began

Is she happy now ? I'm not sure happier maybe as she can be more selfish without feeling guilty meeting new guys , buying a new house , going on trips etc  but when my bro met her six months out she conceded I'm not the total sum of her unhappiness which implies she is still not content .

Ultimately these are woman with no real sense of self introspection and an inability to accept responsibility for their own sadness so if she is not hurting over you believe me she is hurting over something

I'm still kinda in shock to think of how close we were and now I'm just a ghost in the wind to her . but this is part of the disorder they split us black mine was conflicted for over a year with the push /pull and was even "nice enough " to tell my bro she should have left me a year ago  

I wish she had I'd be a year closer to healing
myself

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 10:22:38 AM »

A pwBPD is filled with more pain than we'll ever know.

Before they were with us, during the r/s, and after.

Is it the same as ours? No. It's amplified, twisted, buried... .
dagwoodbowser

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 10:52:00 AM »

Happy Sunday or whatever day it may be where your at Shattered. I am a week or so short of almost 2 months no contact and still all over the map and like anyone else here ask myself these type of things. Since at times I dont even really know what I'm feeling it's going to be tougher to know what is going on in someone else's head.

What I can tell you is that BPD's (at least my x) was about certain predictable patterns. A form of Controlled Chaos.

We did 4 recycles. She would drop me on my head would not reach out, would have the time of her life, her bed was likely never cold and I was very last thing that could possibly matter to her. Meanwhile, I would be rolling around in sheer pain.

I would seem to start the recovery process almost as soon as she dropped me. Something like 80 to 100 days would pass, I would be feeling so much better and then that is when she would start to reach out to me. I would get these emails or texts of almost sheer desperation asking me to please see her. As a Non, my heart would be touched, I would over react to my own empathy and reach out to comfort her. Not realizing I was in FOG, fear, obligation and guilt, I would find her hooking me back in. Of course, after a while I was no longer her shiny toy and she would go back to treating me like trash.

Not sure if I am responding to your question, but yeah... .they do hurt and very likely with greater intensity possibly? But because they are so wrapped up in so many other emotions, denial of some emotions or blocking them out, it seems at some point those emotions they put on hold or blocked out have to eventually be dealt with. Again, all this is based on my personal experience. The cautionary tale here is that when they do go through this period, and no one will know, not even them... .YOU as the non are the susceptible to getting hooked again. I fell for it 3 times?

dagwoodbowser

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 10:59:41 AM »

Excerpt

myself,

Ding... .ding! this is perfect and you summed up in very words what took me several paragraphs and I was still not as clear... .wow.
DyingLove

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 11:00:52 AM »

I can't speak for yours shatterd but mine was fine after the first week and that's when the real anger and lack of empathy began

Is she happy now ? I'm not sure happier maybe as she can be more selfish without feeling guilty meeting new guys , buying a new house , going on trips etc  but when my bro met her six months out she conceded I'm not the total sum of her unhappiness which implies she is still not content .

Ultimately these are woman with no real sense of self introspection and an inability to accept responsibility for their own sadness so if she is not hurting over you believe me she is hurting over something

I'm still kinda in shock to think of how close we were and now I'm just a ghost in the wind to her . but this is part of the disorder they split us black mine was conflicted for over a year with the push /pull and was even "nice enough " to tell my bro she should have left me a year ago  

Painful words Dobie.  I can hear it in you.  I can feel it along with my own pain in the matter. Thanks for sharing.
DyingLove

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 11:04:45 AM »

I am sorry. I believe that this is a common feeling. It has come up in different ways on the boards a lot, and I certainly have experienced it. In fact, I was wrestling with this last night and earlier this morning. It seems to be a part of grieving.

Can you elaborate on what you are feeling?

Put me on the list of so-called "haters" Mike-x.  Okay, I'm not a hater, but when we want them to feel LOUSY or as bad as we do, we aren't exactly praying for them.  I agree that its the grieving. Lord God knows I grieve a lot.  The tears aren't stopping anytime soon either.  Maybe it's ironic because how they go from Love to Hate... .we go from Love to Hoping they suffer!  Same thing almost... .well we aren't BPD, but maybe we could be as bad because look who we've learned from!  We've each had our own individual BPD tutors!  Did you ever think of it that way?
DyingLove

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 11:05:59 AM »

Amen Shatterd.  I can write 1000+1 things right now... .but I won't be able to say it any better than you did.  Amen again.
guy4caligirl

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 11:19:43 AM »

I agree to a certain degree that the longer we stayed in that BPD relationship the more we develop some kind of anger , just like them , they pass it into us none due the constant hammering on our emotional level , I sometimes feel how they can easily trigger us even if we stay NC , it only takes one text and the cycle continues  ... .

I found the best way is to be angry when we feel like it sad , frustrated etc , with time and healing we will be fine , it's the hardest thing to get out from A relationship with an BPD . we will change for the better with time but they will never know what a normal day is all about !

Good luck to all of us on the way the valley the mountain of recovery , it's not that easy but it can be done .
DyingLove

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 11:40:16 AM »

I agree to a certain degree that the longer we stayed in that BPD relationship the more we develop some kind of anger , just like them , they pass it into us none due the constant hammering on our emotional level , I sometimes feel how they can easily trigger us even if we stay NC , it only takes one text and the cycle continues  ... .

I found the best way is to be angry when we feel like it sad , frustrated etc , with time and healing we will be fine , it's the hardest thing to get out from A relationship with an BPD . we will change for the better with time but they will never know what a normal day is all about !

Good luck to all of us on the way the valley the mountain of recovery , it's not that easy but it can be done .

AMEN!  Not only can it be done... .WE WILL DO IT!  Removing the focus of the exBPD is pretty hard.  I know mine wasn't a model or anything, but she was Gods gift to me and that meant she was everything!  Looks score very low with me in terms of someone that I can love, maybe that is part of my problem, I can give anyone a shot at being that special person in my life.   But my ex was different... .she was BPD and she not only made it out to be that she was God's gift, she came gift wrapped, special delivery and smelling like roses!  So can anyone match up after this?
EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 11:48:59 AM »

I understand why you would want to know this. It is understandable to want to know if your pwBPD is suffering the same amount you are.  I think knowing this somewhat reassures us that our pwBPD cares/cared about us.  

This is absolutely true.  Imagine the feeling of sadness and multiply it by 10,000, and that is what feels like to a pwBPD.

I do not know what it feels like to have BPD, but my pwBPD has told me what it feels like. He says it is a daily hell.

I understand the intensity of feeling certain emotions, since I do suffer from DPD. When I feel anxious, it can literally be so intense at times,  that I am barely able to function.  Prior to my own treatment, no one knew that I was suffering so much. I engaged in my own maladaptive coping mechanisms to assuage my anxiety.

It is similar to pwBPD. They may seem that everything is fantastic and great on the outside, but on the inside they are hurting. As much as pwBPD can show their emotions externally, they can repress and internalize them as well.  

From my own recovery, I have learned suppression, avoidance, and maladaptive coping techniques may work in the short term, but it is better to work through your feelings/emotions. As a non disordered person Dobie, you are struggling with your feelings/emotions in the short term, but overall you are better in the long-run. Suppression, avoidance, withdraw, isolation, dissociation, impulsive behaviors, splitting, etc. are just temporary solutions to a life long problem.

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
Achaya

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 01:08:40 PM »

Dobie, this speaks to my experience as well:

"Ultimately these are woman with no real sense of self introspection and an inability to accept responsibility for their own sadness so if she is not hurting over you believe me she is hurting over something"

My ex was very unhappy and brooding about something a lot of the time. She didn't always blame it on external circumstances, but as the relationship deteriorated, she appeared to be holding me responsible for her stalled state in life. She became increasingly resentful towards me and talked about me as if I was the Ball and Chain that was holding her back in life.

An area of extreme difference and incompatibility in our relationship was in how much we introspected and self-reflected. I have always been involved in some kind of introspective psychological or spiritual work, so I would say that I am more inclined that way than most people. My ex was the opposite, a person of emotion and action, not at all attracted to thinking about herself in a self-reflective way (as opposed to self-punitive, self-admiring, self-pitying and so on--she loved that sort of thing). It was difficult for me to understand why my partner wouldn't want to delve into the dynamics of our relationship, as that would have really interested me.

Another big difference was the way we approached personal problems in general. I am a proactive problem solver when presented with relationship conflicts. I want to really get in there and tackle the problems and get them fixed. My ex is the opposite, especially when the problems are interpersonal. She likes to avoid thinking about her conflicts with other people and within herself. She takes "passive, avoidant solutions." (Marsha Linehan says this is typical of pwBPD). It drove me crazy when I felt so scared about what was happening to our relationship, and she would spend so little time thinking about it. It made me feel devalued, but I don't think that was my partner's intent. I think she has a very limited set of options for resolving conflict with people.

shatterd

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 01:27:35 PM »

Thank you evrybody for shareing, i can think, she is to some point, hurting also, how much well idk. She had opend up to me once before about this hurt inside, the part about another guy, so i know its there. Trying to understand this, maybe she feels she cant be normal with me  to many triggers perhaps, its easyer to move on then to fix maybe. The experiances uve shared here are all spot on with mine, wow she is all over the place.
Bensonshays

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 01:28:45 PM »

I can't speak for yours shatterd but mine was fine after the first week and that's when the real anger and lack of empathy began... .I'm still kinda in shock to think of how close we were and now I'm just a ghost in the wind to her

I have no way to confirm that the girl I was dating was a borderline, but I went through a similar progression. I saw her about a week after the break up and she seemed completely unaffected. There wasn't a trace of guilt, confusion, anger, sadness or any of the emotions I was struggling with. She was friendly with everyone; she even tried to flirt with me. I had been reverted to guy friend status. It was like we had never been together in the first place.

I saw her twice more later in the week and things got even weirder. Her new boyfriend dropped her off the first time. She wouldn't make eye contact when we were in the same room, and we didn't interact except to exchange an awkward greeting. She was avoiding me like I had committed some serious faux pas. The next day she was friendly again, even flirtatious. I haven't heard from her since.

I'm not sure how much of this was normal, since I had never dated anyone from my social circle before. But I remember thinking, "We had sex a week ago. How can she be acting like this?" So frustrating.
shatterd

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2015, 01:34:04 PM »

bensonshays     i find my self wondering the same ya we were together a week b4 the new duesh  yuck. i have kids with mine and ya one time b4 the same thing happend, he was smarter than me however she cheated on him with me and im sure others and he was done.  why did i take her back 3 times b4 , my own issues im sure are to blame.
dobie

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2015, 01:34:56 PM »

Painful words Dobie.  I can hear it in you.  I can feel it along with my own pain in the matter. Thanks for sharing.

I'm sorry your feeling the same DL this sucks it really does

I think my x was grieving in the r/s as well there was a time we had an argument about 8 months back and she was crying it was a silly petty row and she kept getting knives to try and cut her wrists and taking pills and trying to swallow them I was shocked and scared and kept taking them off her as she screamed "let me go just let me go"

When she left and drove away on my birthday she said she felt a tremendous relief

When we broke up her refusal to see me because she knew she would be back

Her acting out and anger like she is happy to prove she is all grown up and doesent need me

Her looking for reasons to hate me and split me black

The push pull the depression her constant "why am I not happy" my hope she would be when I got the promotion the house the wedding

She is busy with her new distractions now so I'm sure she never feels sad or misses me but the hole is there she is just looking for and filling with different things

dobie

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2015, 01:51:05 PM »

Dobie, this speaks to my experience as well:

"Ultimately these are woman with no real sense of self introspection and an inability to accept responsibility for their own sadness so if she is not hurting over you believe me she is hurting over something"

My ex was very unhappy and brooding about something a lot of the time. She didn't always blame it on external circumstances, but as the relationship deteriorated, she appeared to be holding me responsible for her stalled state in life. She became increasingly resentful towards me and talked about me as if I was the Ball and Chain that was holding her back in life.

An area of extreme difference and incompatibility in our relationship was in how much we introspected and self-reflected. I have always been involved in some kind of introspective psychological or spiritual work, so I would say that I am more inclined that way than most people. My ex was the opposite, a person of emotion and action, not at all attracted to thinking about herself in a self-reflective way (as opposed to self-punitive, self-admiring, self-pitying and so on--she loved that sort of thing). It was difficult for me to understand why my partner wouldn't want to delve into the dynamics of our relationship, as that would have really interested me.

Another big difference was the way we approached personal problems in general. I am a proactive problem solver when presented with relationship conflicts. I want to really get in there and tackle the problems and get them fixed. My ex is the opposite, especially when the problems are interpersonal. She likes to avoid thinking about her conflicts with other people and within herself. She takes "passive, avoidant solutions." (Marsha Linehan says this is typical of pwBPD). It drove me crazy when I felt so scared about what was happening to our relationship, and she would spend so little time thinking about it. It made me feel devalued, but I don't think that was my partner's intent. I think she has a very limited set of options for resolving conflict with people.

We sound like twins Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) my x was diifrent from your though she was scanning the r/s horizon all the time but internally never really telling me straight out or attempting to sit down and work out the issues

There were clues here and there but I guess I didn't want to listen "do we make each other happy" etc

But again push/pull she was never a happy joyous soul like my gf before her so it was hard to see she felt me to be the problem

When my bro saw her and she said she couldn't see me because I would convince her to come back my bro said that's the point in a r/s you work things out you try and resolve things she just looked stumped and perplexed

For her its either your the most amazing , special , wonderful blah blah blah or your not there is no grey areas there is no self introspection or reason to think OK I'm not happy is that all dobies fault ? Could it be there's some things about the r/s that I'm not happy with that we need to work out ?

No its all me or "we are not meant to be "

She even told people "we just drifted apart " "and things just didn't work out "

No none not a jot of acountabilty or skill set to communicate and make things work easier to just quit and run
JRT

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 02:28:23 PM »

I have wondered the same thing about mine. I wish that I had some way of determining specifically bow she was coping as it would confirm that she took the r/s as seriously as I did and the loss of it was as painful to her as it was to me - for some reason, that would help me. It sure didn't feel like this was the case when she blocked me for contact, threatened legal action when I circumvented her block right after the b/u and called the police on my on xmas eve inferring that I was stalking her.

But I did learn that she had a huge weight gain (easily 40 lbs) over the first 3 months since the b/e which tells me a lot about how she is handling things. Mine does not appear to be taking it well but I suspect, like everything else BPD, there is a rainbow of variations regarding their behavior and reactions.
lm911

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 02:35:20 PM »

Mine told me: You won't survive a day in my head.
shatterd

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 03:00:12 PM »

i have herd all these nasty comments also. not sure when she means it or mayb she figured shes bettr off untill it falls apart. i only noticed her contiplateing this time weather to run or not and when push came to pull she was forced to decide. maybe was a dick to her this time, but i cant live my life like that anymore. i think i told her tp grow up and what she was doing was childish, after all we have ben threw and the kids  how could she be doing this again. i held her accountable this time, mistake or not our outcome would have ben the same. history has told me this with her and i. no matter what i do or what i try this always happens
JRT

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2015, 03:10:33 PM »

Mine told me: You won't survive a day in my head.

To me, that seems like a confirmation of the opposite.
shatterd

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2015, 03:16:40 PM »

i would agree with my experiance, however knowing what we know now about BPD, if we play captain save a ho again, do you honestly think it would be better wile the wounds are still fresh?
SWLSR

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2015, 11:06:59 PM »

Dagwood they do hurt.  But not for us and because of us.  They hurt for something thatvis buried deep in there past.  something they will never come to retms with.  whatever it is.  We are pawns in there game.  they may have some regret but they wont admit it.  It is not an easy thing for us to accept.
Mike-X

Relationship status: living apart

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 09:05:52 AM »

Have you all had a chance to read this:

https://bpdfamily.com/content/my-definition-love-i-have-borderline-personality-disorder
zundertowz
Formerly thirdeye

Relationship status: Broken up

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 09:14:33 AM »

this is a good question... .hard to answer but what I do think is that your not forgotten.  Weather she misses you or she hates you with everything inside her. LOL.  So after 30 days no contact and blocking a ton of people to avoid her I was tagged in a post from a girl who wanted to meet me at a pub... .long story short my ex and her sister saw the post( friends of friends ) and started facebooking and txting this women teeling her im an abuser and to stay away from me. 
valet
Retired Staff

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 09:19:29 AM »

Dagwood they do hurt.  But not for us and because of us.  They hurt for something thatvis buried deep in there past.  something they will never come to retms with.  whatever it is.  We are pawns in there game.  they may have some regret but they wont admit it.  It is not an easy thing for us to accept.

I don't think that calling ourselves 'pawns in their game' is a very productive nor healthy way to think about the situations that we got ourselves into. We must examine ourselves more thoroughly, because statements like that completely negate the fact that we did have power then, and we have it now.

To a degree, yes, we were used. But we also certainly accepted behaviors that were unacceptable, and in that way our BPDex's were pawns in our own game in which the end goal was finding approval and external sources of love to fill voids deep within ourselves.

It is ok if they can't admit their regret. That isn't our focus, or at least it shouldn't be. The best we can do is concentrate on forgiving ourselves, and then eventually them. I think that once we reach both types of acceptance on those fronts, we're pretty solid. Takes a ton of time though, and a hell of a lot of thinking.

Fr4nz

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 10:16:13 AM »

I fully agree and my personal experience fully supports this affirmation.

They feel pain at unimaginable levels, mostly because of their past experiences and huge failures (caused by their illness... .) characterizing their life.

Perhaps they may tend to hide the pain, because explaining it to others may be too difficult for them or it would force them to say things they may judge too uncomfortable for their partners... .but it's absolutely there. Pure and raw pain.

And it keeps accumulating due to the continuous failures provoked by their illness.

Just to give an example: often my exuBPDgf did binge-drinking, and she told me she did this in order to NOT think... .not think to the demons (i.e., extremely painful, bad thoughts) inside her head (these are her own words). And, when I tried to understand which kind of thoughts she had in her mind, she gave some details, but then she stopped because she started to feel very uncomfortable (note: at that time i was not aware of her BPD).

Another example, in the same line: often she woke up during the night, for the same reasons, so she was incapable of getting again into bed.

I think this is a truly hellish life, and a punishment in itself.
Deeno02

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 10:28:41 AM »

No. I dont believe she is. Im probably not even a thought unless she sees me at my sons game.
Achaya

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 11:09:08 AM »

My ex and I told me that she had been the one to leave her previous partners, 3 or 4 in total. The pattern was the same as with me, and she ended up "feeling nothing" for any of them. She said when she left them they sobbed and she would hold them in her arms, feeling totally disconnected from their pain, and kind of puzzled by it. She said she has never missed any of them, or regretted leaving them.

I spoke to her yesterday and she did cry with me through the conversation, but the source of her pain is to her, not the same as mine. She cried because I told her I would have to end all contact soon, so that I can get over her. I have been much more to her than a lover, I have been something more like her life support system. No matter how unhealthy that was for both of us, it is a reality. It shows again how impulsive, irrational and self-sabotaging pwBPD are---that she would jettison her lover so abruptly without thinking about what she would do when the life support was unplugged. I fear for her, as she is very fragile. In the past I would have worked hard to try to reconnect with her, to make a relationship for myself out of a rescue effort for her. I have been helped by the advice given in the article on this site, about Breaking Up When Your Partner has BPD. I do indeed fantasize about giving in to her need for me to continue in her life, as the occasional emotional refueling center, the emergency life support system. Thanks to this site, I can see that this would be the wrong choice for me. I have to take care of myself now. Chances are, my ex will get through this breakup as "easily" as she did the others, numb, detached and dissociated, and will replace me in weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if she has already done so. That is part of the pattern, and she hasn't missed any of the steps this time around.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest