Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 06, 2024, 02:26:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are we (my partner and I) to blame for his daughter's anorexia?  (Read 433 times)
RubyRobin
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: July 07, 2015, 02:50:27 PM »

My partner separated from his undiagnosed BPD wife 2 and a half years ago.  A year after he left, his daughter was admitted to an eating disorders clinic with anorexia.  At the time, the uBPDex said that the psychologist concluded that the anorexia was caused by the manner in which my partner left the relationship.  I didn't believe this at the time, thinking she had only said it to hurt him.  Yesterday, his daughter confirmed that the psychologist had said this.

The circumstances of his leaving the relationship were that he and I had started an affair several months after his discovery that his wife was having an affair.  He was reluctant to leave her, despite his acknowledgement that his relationship with her was controlling, abusive and causing him significant distress.  He strongly suspected that, if he left, she would prevent him from seeing his children and she would make his life impossible.  She had threatened both these consequences and he believed her.  He also knew that it would be impossible to negotiate a separation, and that the only way to leave was to disappear.  There was no discussion of the separation before he left; when the topic arose, she became uncontrollably emotional, abusive, accusatory, threatening, weeping, screaming, breaking things etc in front of the children.  She had told the children that he was abandoning them and they had pleaded with him to stay.  He felt unable to speak to his children about his leaving and there was no discussion about arrangements for seeing the children following the separation.

I encouraged him to go, and provided him with a safe place where he would not be discovered.  He left, and inevitably, his worst fears were realized: he didn't see his children for 1.5 years, she stalked us, attacked me, vandalized my property, continued to abuse him through the legal system, threatened him for money, posted abusive letters through our door for a year, lied about us to people etc.  She involved the children by sharing with them the financial details of the divorce, she showed them letters from the solicitor, and told them that daddy was trying to get them out of their house. 

I am disappointed that the psychologist has concluded that the anorexia was caused by the manner in which my partner left the relationship. I encouraged him to leave and I provided the impetus and promise of a healthier relationship.  If its true, that the manner in which he left has caused her anorexia, then I too am partly to blame for her illness.  I am sorry if that is the case; I did not mean to cause her harm and I am sorry that I may have.  However, the wider context of his leaving and the events that followed seem to have been discounted.  My partner left the way he did because at the time it seemed the only possible way of leaving. Have the events subsequent to him leaving had no bearing on the child's illness; or the years of being nurtured by a mother with uBPD?  I can guess that none of the information regarding uBPDex's negative behavior have been shared with the psychologist, and possibly that may contribute to his/her conclusion. 
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 03:43:31 PM »

Hi RubyRobin,

I am sorry you're going through all of this. That sounds scary that she attacked you, stalked, damaged your property and lying to others about you.

It's sad to hear that she was putting the kids in middle of this and alienating their father. Poor kids.

Is she still harassing the both of you?

Excerpt
I can guess that none of the information regarding uBPDex's negative behavior have been shared with the psychologist, and possibly that may contribute to his/her conclusion.

I can understand how there would be feelings of guilt. His ex and daughter have both come forward and said that the P said your partner's departure was the catalyst for her anorexia.

His ex does display parental alienation, sharing divorce details and telling the kids he abandoned them.

What's her relationship like with her daughter?

What's his r/s like with his D?

Are the kids enmeshed with mom?

Is it a possibility that she may be trying to project and blame to make you and your partner feel bad for leaving?

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 07:27:22 PM »

Hello, RubyRobin, and welcome back to the site Welcome

I'm sorry for all of the troubles you and your partner have been going through, and how difficult it's been for him to be able to parent his daughters with his Ex-wife. The stresses of dealing with teenagers is difficult enough without all the complications involved with a dysregulated Ex and a child with an eating disorder. I feel really badly for everyone concerned... .

If the information that your partner's daughter was told by her Mom was all she knew from her own perception when her Dad left, that is what she would have relayed to her Counselor. The life this girl lived was all she knew, so her reality is what she would be telling in her therapy sessions. Her reality--whether it was informed by the truth of the situation as your partner saw it, or not--is what has informed her behaviors and, as she sees it, her eating disorder. Right or wrong, it is her reality.

I'm really glad that she was getting help for it, though, and I hope she gets healthy and on the right track soon. Does your partner have the chance to help her at all? The chance to spend some time trying to assure her that he loves her and only wants the best for her? His unconditional love and support could possibly go far in helping her overcome her disorder... .It's something she will have to work out on her own, of course, in many ways, but a loving and supportive parent who is always there for her will go a long way to help.

How is she doing with the anorexia? Is she getting any better? Is she still getting therapy for it regularly? Is she healthy? I know that her well-being is just one of the many stressors that you and your partner have to deal with related to this situation, but aside from his Ex's behaviors, if your partner can feel comfortable that his daughter is doing well, that would probably be a great load off of his shoulders. I wish you well, RubyRobin, and I hope that things get better soon for all of you 

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 02:29:05 AM »

Hi RubyRobin,

I see that you've posted in L5 as well and you've received a very good response, but it is my hope that you also read a different perspective and do a bit of research on the drama triangle. I understand that you were also married when you began this affair and are looking to repair the damages and get on with a new life, but one of things that resonates in your writing is blame. In order to get away from the drama you are going to have to hear a few things that may be painful, but hopefully they will provide insight.

Excerpt
The circumstances of his leaving the relationship were that he and I had started an affair several months after his discovery that his wife was having an affair.  He was reluctant to leave her, despite his acknowledgement that his relationship with her was controlling, abusive and causing him significant distress.  He strongly suspected that, if he left, she would prevent him from seeing his children and she would make his life impossible.  She had threatened both these consequences and he believed her.

Excerpt
He also knew that it would be impossible to negotiate a separation, and that the only way to leave was to disappear.

This should read "he also knew FELT that it would be impossible to negotiate a separation and that the only way to leave was to disappear have an affair. “He was reluctant to leave” so rather than go to court and file for a divorce- he chose to distract himself with a third party (who was also married to someone else.)

Excerpt
There was no discussion of the separation before he left;

Most partners who “cut and run” without any discussion to the spouse/partner are avoidant for reasons. Have you ever weighed the advantages of this against the disadvantages?

"No discussion" can also be disrespectful to the safety and mental health rights of the children. The “cut and run” is known as the silent treatment and it can appear to the children that they are not worthy enough of being told why their Father is leaving.

Not worthy enough translates into worthless, shameful and lost. Lost children often don’t eat or speak. The psychology of the abandonment and silence translates into self-harm behaviors because they think it’s their fault. You’ve mentioned that one child has an eating disorder and one child now has a speech impediment. There is a reason why.

Excerpt
when the topic arose, she became uncontrollably emotional, abusive, accusatory, threatening, weeping, screaming, breaking things etc in front of the children.  She had told the children that he was abandoning them and they had pleaded with him to stay.  He felt unable to speak to his children about his leaving and there was no discussion about arrangements for seeing the children following the separation.

Wouldn't you? Her Husband has just left without any communication with a married affair partner His behavior is avoidant and cloaked in blame.  Because of this you are seeing the reactions (*disadvantages) to his previous silent treatment. 

He has failed to provide consistent, mutual respect and safety to the mental well being of his children (and his Wife) while using you as a third party safety valve, agitator and rescuer.

Many people on this board have been in his Wife’s shoes because their BPD partner chose to disappear with an affair partner and not communicate at all. It’s very cruel to the former Spouse /partner who not only seeks answers from the non-communicative spouse but must also navigate the minefield of the third party agitator who blocks and defends the answers from coming forthright and acts like a defender. Why do you think this behavior doesn’t have consequences and why did you think there wouldn’t be disadvantages to playing defense?

Excerpt
I encouraged him to go, and provided him with a safe place where he would not be discovered. 

This should read: "I encouraged him to go, run and provided him with a safe an unknown place where he would not be discovered persecuted.

Despite the fact that you had your own marriage to deal with, you became a rescuer of someone else’s marriage. Is it possible you recognize the enabling, paranoia, avoidance of reality, triangulation, helplessness, voicelessness, disrespect and interjection into a family dynamic -as a problem that wasn't yours to solve? Have you ever considered yourself a starting gate rescuer?

Excerpt
He left, and inevitably, his worst fears were realized: he didn't see his children for 1.5 years, she stalked us, attacked me, vandalized my property, continued to abuse him through the legal system, threatened him for money, posted abusive letters through our door for a year, lied about us to people etc.

Yes, these are some of the disadvantages in triangulation, especially when both parties are married to other people. Placing yourself in a one up position as a starting gate rescuer was the first step onto the drama triangle. Hiding out and hoping for an otherwise different reaction from her. Expecting her to remain calm. It was all a fantasy- of course she’s wanting answers and going to appear like a persecutor until you feel (there’s those feelings again) like a victim.

Excerpt
She involved the children by sharing with them the financial details of the divorce, she showed them letters from the solicitor, and told them that daddy was trying to get them out of their house.

She had to. Their Father is incommunicado. She is being forced to (explain) communicate to the children because their Father -for whatever reasons- decided he “felt unable to speak to his children,” so much so that in a previous post you stated that one child admitted “she said that she had thought that he didn't want to speak to her.”

You blame their Mother somehow, yet admit there was “no discussion about arrangements for seeing the children” and no proof otherwise to the children that he had not abandoned them. By the way, having “felt unable to speak to his children” is feelings. As they often tell people with BPD, feelings are not facts.

The facts are that children were available to communicate- the reasons for not communicating with them are due to feelings, not facts.

Feelings are exhaustive. Feelings may contain shame, guilt, and persecution fears. These have everything to do with the children’s Father’s mental health as he has consistently tried to use you to block and deny those feelings in order to avoid addressing them. And perhaps you use him to block your own with a combined and shared hatred of his Wife.

Excerpt
I am disappointed that the psychologist has concluded that the anorexia was caused by the manner in which my partner left the relationship.

The psychologist is correct in their assessment.

Certainly you can see that if your Father left your Mother for a married affair partner and refused to communicate to your Mother who may have been emotionally distraught, essentially hiding out in “a safe place where he would not be discovered,” and causing your Mother to “stalk” and communicate through letters left at the doorstop- might cause you incredible suffering, pain, depression and heartache as a child? Certainly some form of trauma or post traumatic stress?

Excerpt
I encouraged him to leave and I provided the impetus and promise of a healthier relationship.

The “impetus and promise” is highly suggestible, but it was fantasy. This relationship is not healthier. You were married. He was married. In order for it to be healthier, you’ve got to let go of the future fantasy promise and accept the present day reality for what it is- right now. You‘ve got to stop rescuing an adult who is clearly mired in blame against a persecutor. A child is deeply hurt and in pain and a Father needs to make amends- without your involvement.

You‘ve got to look at your own wounding.

Excerpt
If its true, that the manner in which he left has caused her anorexia, then I too am partly to blame for her illness.  I am sorry if that is the case; I did not mean to cause her harm and I am sorry that I may have.  However, the wider context of his leaving and the events that followed seem to have been discounted.  My partner left the way he did because at the time it seemed the only possible way of leaving.

It wasn’t the only way he could have left. There is a basic fundamental responsibility a Father has to the children for their safety and a reason for his clinging to you as his rescuer ( in fact, clinging to each other) and then in hiding? The two are analogous; comparable in certain respects, as he retreats from his responsibilities and finds great reward in his learned helplessness while you feel overly-responsible and pick up the slack and take charge. There is a reason for your mutual attraction.

Excerpt
Have the events subsequent to him leaving had no bearing on the child's illness; or the years of being nurtured by a mother with uBPD?  I can guess that none of the information regarding uBPDex's negative behavior have been shared with the psychologist, and possibly that may contribute to his/her conclusion.

Excerpt
My partners ex wife uses the children in order to get money from him.

It’s called child support.

Excerpt
She said that she had thought that he didn't want to speak to her.

I would think the same thing and I am an adult.

The events subsequent do have a bearing on a child. It’s her childhood. The reasons for her parent’s mental processes are a mystery to her. She is confused and without any answers. She deserves respect. If her Father had weighed the advantages of having an affair, hiding out and playing mute versus speaking his mind, filing for divorce and being there for his children, things might be better now- don’t you agree?

Hopefully you’ll address the pain you are in and uncover the reasons for your enmeshment. Check out the link on the drama triangle. www.lynneforrest.com/articles/2008/06/the-faces-of-victim/

Good luck and keep posting. Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Skip
Site Director

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 08:14:40 PM »

Hi Ruby.

We have quit a few secondary or collateral BPD partners (lovers of individuals with a BPD ex) here and its a difficult role to fill. Many become impatient, bitter, resentful and if your not careful, more trauma to a traumatic situation. Hopefully working here will provide some insight on how to be a force of stability in an unstable situation.

This is an interesting question. "Are we (my partner and I) to blame for his daughter's anorexia?" In other words, is it possible that your affair was damaging enough to lead to mental illness. Most clinicians will tell a concerned caregiver that "no, you are not the cause of the illness" and "yes, you likely did things that were very harmful to a child with this predisposition".

It's a complex answer.

Dixianne Penney, Dr.P.H say, "right now it is difficult to do what you must do and that is, to put your own feelings aside and focus on getting the help needed and providing the support the child requires".

I think the first thing I would do is try get face time, each of you, separately, with the physiologist. And if that is not available to you, with a expert in personality and mood disorders.

However justified or unintentional the affair was, a great deal of harm has been brought to this family. Its important to learn what can be done to not make it worse.  And thereafter, what can be done to heal what can be healed.

This is probably not what you want to hear, I know.  I suspect that unless you do this, that the weight of everything will eventually crash your relationship - obviously the guilt is already weighing heavy on dad and, as you say, you had a significant influence in how this rolled out.

Excerpt
Have the events subsequent to him leaving had no bearing on the child's illness; or the years of being nurtured by a mother with uBPD?  I can guess that none of the information regarding uBPDex's negative behavior have been shared with the psychologist, and possibly that may contribute to his/her conclusion.

Of course they were contributing factors. Her genetic make-up is a contributing factor. The marriage is a contributing factor. The parenting.

This is where this starts to comes apart. While all these predisposing factors were present, the trauma (stresser) is what catalyzed the problem. The psychologist likely thinks that the trauma was negligent.

Excerpt
My partner left the way he did because at the time it seemed the only possible way of leaving.

It is going to be a hard sell in family court, in the community, in the school, in the church that going into hiding with affair partner and without making any provisions for the continued parenting of the child was reasonable.  No judgment on my part - just painting the landscape.

Its going to be an even harder sell to the children and psychologist.

Outsiders will blame him.  The children will blame you.

Please get guidance on this. Please also spend time here. This is very complex - none of use are born with the skills to manage something like this - you will need solid advisors and you will need to heed what they say.

You will also need help keeping the relationship above water - there difficulty is just starting.

Where are you both with respect to divorcing your spouses?

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 06:35:17 PM »

Hi RubyRobin,

I'm sad to learn of all the details of your story.

Some poor judgments were made and there is no going back on them at this point, we all have 20 20 vision in hindsight. What is most important now is the healing of the children and their relationship with their Dad.  Would he be willing to come here to the Parenting Board and learn some skills to begin to mend his relationship with his kids?

How do you see your role in the future?   The Co- Parenting Board would be a good fit for you to learn to be a supportive force for your partner and a neutral voice in the face of conflict.  Are you and he living together currently?  How do you think that might affect his kids reactions to him re entering their lives?

lbj

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest