Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 01:41:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This feels like a sham  (Read 363 times)
Steve4444

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: October 07, 2015, 01:59:06 PM »

Today I am thinking about my uBPDw. Everything feels dishonest. In a "normal" relationship, people are allowed to say things like "next time I would appreciate it if you would X rather than Y" or "it bothered me when you said X in front of the kids" or "I know this is hard but we really need to discuss X" or "in my opinion, it would have been better if you had X". But we just dance and dance and dance around honesty for fear of WWIII breaking out. And then we just listen to the rage instead of expressing an opinion or participating in the discussion in a meaningful way. I accept that our relationship isn't and never will be "normal" but how can we say we are being true to ourselves when we are doing and saying things that we don't even believe in. I am very frustrated and welcome any comments. Thank you.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

maxsterling

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: living together, engaged

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 03:16:25 PM »

Can't say much but "I know exactly how you feel."

I don't want to be closed off to my partner.  I feel like I am not being 100% honest.  Yet, the times when I try, WWIII.  So, I get my emotional validation elsewhere, do my best to keep the peace.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 03:28:39 PM »

During the worst times, I think, "This is a piss-poor excuse for a relationship." Other times, there's a genuine human connection.

Something about all of us allows us to accept these less-than-optimal "relationships" which often, as you've pointed out, seem contrived, as though we're just "managing" our significant other.

I wonder how many of us, if we had known what we were getting into ahead of time, would have blindly rushed in and signed up for this sort of relationship.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
CrazyChuck

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 03:29:55 PM »

That is a major issue. I can never fix anything. I just get to express that I understand and then let it go.
ColdEthyl

Relationship status: Married 2 years

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 03:47:05 PM »

Today I am thinking about my uBPDw. Everything feels dishonest. In a "normal" relationship, people are allowed to say things like "next time I would appreciate it if you would X rather than Y" or "it bothered me when you said X in front of the kids" or "I know this is hard but we really need to discuss X" or "in my opinion, it would have been better if you had X". But we just dance and dance and dance around honesty for fear of WWIII breaking out. And then we just listen to the rage instead of expressing an opinion or participating in the discussion in a meaningful way. I accept that our relationship isn't and never will be "normal" but how can we say we are being true to ourselves when we are doing and saying things that we don't even believe in. I am very frustrated and welcome any comments. Thank you.

Totally understand, and I'm sorry you are going through this.

"I accept that our relationship isn't and never will be "normal" but how can we say we are being true to ourselves when we are doing and saying things that we don't even believe in."

I felt like that for a long time, too. I am a very blunt, honest, straight forward person, so all of this walking on eggshells and learning how to say things a different way has been really hard for me. The key is to communicate what you are saying differently, so you don't have to compromise yourself and your own thoughts.

For an example, "it bothered me when you said X in front of the kids" comes off as invalidating. What they hear is "you are a screw up and you did it in front of the kids how dare you"

Of course, that's not what you said... .but it's their interpretation of what you said. One of my favorite ways of explaining it is think that everything you do and say has to get pushed through their "BPD filter". There is no getting around it... .that sucker is always going to be there. So, we need to reword things so they go through the filter without the backlash.

Another way to say this and bring it up might be, "I understand why you said X in front of the kids. You were frustrated/you were upset (whatever the circumstances were). I would get upset, too. How can we go about making sure X isn't said in front of the children anymore. Do you have any ideas?

I'm not sure if that fits your situation, but hopefully it's an example of what I mean. Sympathize, empathize, and try to engage them by asking questions. Ask them how they feel, or what they would like to see. Try to make them a part of the decision process.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest