Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 07:30:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do they ever truly leave?  (Read 845 times)
WoundedBibi

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2016, 03:14:26 PM »

What it boils down to is this, there's a lot of dysfunction there.

Exactly.

We tend to want to/NEED to understand and try to analyze every breath our exes took but in the end it doesn't matter whether they have 80% BPD and 20% NPD or the other way around. Or if they had other issues on top.

It doesn't even matter if they were diagnosed because the diagnosis can be wrong (bi-polar instead of BPD for example), loads of them are undiagnosed and others don't ever tell you if they were diagnosed or not.

What we know is that they show signs of a PD. What we know is that the relationship didn't work. What we know is these relationships have a huge impact on us. What we know is we were not treated as we would have been by a person without a PD. What we know is that we need to focus on ourselves. What we know is we have to put in a hell of a lot of work to get past these relationships and past what ever reasons we had for entering the relationship in the first place. If we don't, we get stuck in this relationship or enter another one with a pwPD.
SummerStorm

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2016, 03:28:18 PM »

The sad thing is I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop. She told me not to contact her again, so I'm not. But her past history is to go cold and eventually contact me out of the blue like nothing happened. The best indicator of future behavior is past behavior, so I have to assume that eventually it will happen again... .

Near the end of July last year, I received a letter from my BPD friend, telling me to never contact her again.  A few weeks later, she was asking me if she could live with me because she broke up with her boyfriend. 

^Case in point... .I think a variation of this is basically what is going to happen to me... .

Then, in December, I got the following: "This is obviously not working.  Bye."  By Christmas, she wanted to talk again.  A year ago, she refused to talk to her dad and told her mom that she wanted to kill him (mom and dad have been divorced for a long time).  Last Sunday, she took her new boyfriend to her dad's house for Easter dinner.

So when will this end it goes on and on/Over and over and over again/Keep spinning around I know that it won't stop/Till I step down from this for good - Lifehouse "Sick Cycle Carousel"
HurtinNW

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2016, 03:33:10 PM »

The short answer is because NPDs are typically men, BPDs are typically female

No, men are generally DIAGNOSED as having NPD and women are generally DIAGNOSED as having BPD. That doesn't mean NPD are typically male or BPD are typically female. The professionals that diagnose are still just people with biases just as everybody else. And a lot of NPD and BPD men go undiagnosed because they are more likely to drink heavily and be diagnosed as alcoholics.

The last two guys in my life are mixes of BPD and NPD. Not leaning more in one direction or the other as far as I can tell, it differed per day and was obscured due to having other issues such as substance abuse, OCD and depression.

My therapist told me historically the focus is on diagnosing women with personality disorders, so many men get overlooked or given the wrong diagnosis.

The only diagnosis my ex (to my knowledge) has had is depression. I've read that depression is very common in narcissism, especially when their supply is threatened. My ex falls into a deep dysphoria at any set back or loss. During these times my ex indulges in a lot of what seems like self-pity to me. I realize this is an ungracious way to see it, but it feels very insincere. This is an interesting article about it. www.healthyplace.com/personality-disorders/malignant-self-love/the-depressive-narcissist-narcissism-depression-and-dysphoria/

My ex had been prescribed anti-depressants in the past but they never worked. My experience of his depression was it was like a cap on a boiling hot rage of perceived injustice. This was especially true with the loss of his PN space over his job. And then at other times he would be almost giddy with good cheer. It was very confusing.

WoundedBibi, I agree that in the end it doesn't matter if my ex was one thing or another. The dx are labels, what matters is the behavior, conduct and the relationship. I have found it helpful for me to read a lot on disorders, though, because I have a tendency to self-blame. It helps me understand his issues as a mental health issue and not my fault. But the most important work I am doing is on myself.  Smiling (click to insert in post)
sweet tooth

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2016, 05:25:01 PM »

The sad thing is I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop. She told me not to contact her again, so I'm not. But her past history is to go cold and eventually contact me out of the blue like nothing happened. The best indicator of future behavior is past behavior, so I have to assume that eventually it will happen again... .

Near the end of July last year, I received a letter from my BPD friend, telling me to never contact her again.  A few weeks later, she was asking me if she could live with me because she broke up with her boyfriend. 

^Case in point... .I think a variation of this is basically what is going to happen to me... .

Then, in December, I got the following: "This is obviously not working.  Bye."  By Christmas, she wanted to talk again.  A year ago, she refused to talk to her dad and told her mom that she wanted to kill him (mom and dad have been divorced for a long time).  Last Sunday, she took her new boyfriend to her dad's house for Easter dinner.

Wow... .It's been just over a month of no contact for me.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest