Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 05:26:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could they also co exist with BPD and have a Split Personality?  (Read 523 times)
Confused108

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: April 13, 2016, 03:25:08 PM »

I have been doing some thinking on this . Could there be a connection with people who suffer from BPD and also have a Split Personality? I mean think about it. They have relationships . They dump us out of no where, some without a care in the world. This push / pull behavior. Some don't or can't remember ever doing certain things that you know they did. There personalities switch on a dime. Why do they call this Dr Jeckl and Mr. Hyde at times? I think there may be some connection with it. Anyone else? This blocking out things so they can go on with there lives. It just seems to me that there might be even a small connection.

WoundedBibi

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 03:37:03 PM »

I have been doing some thinking on this . Could there be a connection with people who suffer from BPD and also have a Split Personality? I mean think about it. They have relationships . They dump us out of no where, some without a care in the world. This push / pull behavior. Some don't or can't remember ever doing certain things that you know they did. There personalities switch on a dime. Why do they call this Dr Jeckl and Mr. Hyde at times? I think there may be some connection with it. Anyone else? This blocking out things so they can go on with there lives. It just seems to me that there might be even a small connection.

Sorry, no. Multiple Personality Disorder is something completely different and involves the formation of several completely separate but complete personalities including different names, voices, ways to dress etc.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 03:37:11 PM »

short answer: DID (dissociative identity disorder ) can co exist with BPD, but they are very, very different disorders.

you may find this discussion on the comorbidity and difference helpful: DIFFERENCES|COMORBIDITY: Borderline PD and Dissociative Identity Disorder  

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Confused108

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 04:29:50 PM »

Sorry, no. Multiple Personality Disorder is something completely different and involves the formation of several completely separate but complete personalities including different names, voices, ways to dress etc.

I didn't say Multiple meaning many. I said Split Personality meaning one.

Confused108

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 04:31:21 PM »

short answer: DID (dissociative identity disorder ) can co exist with BPD, but they are very, very different disorders.

you may find this discussion on the comorbidity and difference helpful: DIFFERENCES|COMORBIDITY: Borderline PD and Dissociative Identity Disorder  

Thanks Once for the info. I do know they are different disorders but I feel that in some small way they might in some NOT all BPDs. Exist.

WoundedBibi

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 04:38:04 PM »

What used to be called Split Personality is now called MPD or DID meaning more than one. So it could be 2 or 20.
Confused108

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 06:50:29 PM »

What used to be called Split Personality is now called MPD or DID meaning more than one. So it could be 2 or 20.

My Brother in laws mother is a shrink who specializes in Split Personality. She claims its 1 personality being themselves and the other ( is the split) personality. Multiple is as is . 2 4 6 8 personalities and so on. I can remember a woman who lived on my block when I was a kid. Her Mom was a school teacher and a real nasty person in general. Anyway this woman was multi personality. One day she would be herself. The next time you would see her she was another personality and even dressed and talked different. Then the next time you would see her again another personality! She even dressed like a $lut one time we saw her and got on the train to go to the city! She eventually did seek treatment for 10 years and the last I heard about her she was married and living a happy some what normal life in CT.  I always felt with my ex u was dealing with her ( the loving caring person) and then another person with BPD traits and I strongly felt another personality.

WoundedBibi

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 07:32:07 PM »

My Brother in laws mother is a shrink who specializes in Split Personality. She claims its 1 personality being themselves and the other ( is the split) personality. Multiple is as is . 2 4 6 8 personalities and so on. I can remember a woman who lived on my block when I was a kid. Her Mom was a school teacher and a real nasty person in general. Anyway this woman was multi personality. One day she would be herself. The next time you would see her she was another personality and even dressed and talked different. Then the next time you would see her again another personality! She even dressed like a $lut one time we saw her and got on the train to go to the city! She eventually did seek treatment for 10 years and the last I heard about her she was married and living a happy some what normal life in CT.  I always felt with my ex u was dealing with her ( the loving caring person) and then another person with BPD traits and I strongly felt another personality.

That's what I said. With MPD there is one base personality and then any number of split offs. But these split offs are in essence like different people. Different clothes, different behaviour, different voices, they have different names, and can present themselves as being of completely different ages or genders.

A pwBPD not remembering speaking to you is a defense mechanism. A PwBPD's behaviour can be different from one minute to the next. My ex actually looked different in pictures depending on his moods. Yes, a pwBPD for a NON can FEELING like there is more than one person. No wonder. Their personality is not complete.

But a pwBPD does not take on another personality that goes by a different name, thinks he/she has a different age or gender and dresses completely differently and that has no clue who you are because they were another personality when they met you.

They are both personality disorders.

Both disorders have/come from defense mechanisms.

But they are two very distinct disorders. You can look them up in the DSM-5.
balletomane
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 07:43:59 PM »

DID is extremely rare and the diagnosis is controversial. It is highly unlikely you would meet even one person with DID in your life, never mind two. As someone who does work in the mental health field, this is one of the areas where I find bpdfamily unhelpful - people trying to make armchair psychiatric diagnoses on the basis of something they heard a therapist say once, or something they read online, or their personal interpretation of the DSM. I think trying to diagnose our exes, pathologise their behaviour, and put them neatly in a box can be a coping strategy when we're coming to terms with the chaos, but we need to recognise that it's just that - a coping strategy, and not necessarily one that's all that helpful. It means a lot of urban myths get spread around and we get so preoccupied with what our exes' behaviour was called that we don't give nearly enough attention to how it affected us/what we can do about it now.
WoundedBibi

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 07:55:32 PM »

DID is extremely rare and the diagnosis is controversial. It is highly unlikely you would meet even one person with DID in your life, never mind two. As someone who does work in the mental health field, this is one of the areas where I find bpdfamily unhelpful - people trying to make armchair psychiatric diagnoses on the basis of something they heard a therapist say once, or something they read online, or their personal interpretation of the DSM. I think trying to diagnose our exes, pathologise their behaviour, and put them neatly in a box can be a coping strategy when we're coming to terms with the chaos, but we need to recognise that it's just that - a coping strategy, and not necessarily one that's all that helpful. It means a lot of urban myths get spread around and we get so preoccupied with what our exes' behaviour was called that we don't give nearly enough attention to how it affected us/what we can do about it now.

Thank you balletomane for reminding us it's about us and not about them and therefore not about the label either   Being cool (click to insert in post)
jhkbuzz

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 08:22:38 PM »

Dissociative disorders are on a spectrum; it's not "all or nothing." In the last year of my (8 year) r/s I started becoming aware that my ex cycled through a "cast of characters" - not full blown DID, but it was something. The therapist she started seeing in the last year of our r/s called it her "parts of self."  This is what I posted about it last June:

My ex was on the dissociative spectrum: she had a "little girl" part of self, an older "teenage" part of self, an adult self, and probably a few others in the mix.  Each would take the "lead" for different lengths of time.

I now understand that I became a caretaker when her "little girl" self took the lead. It's not a role I've played in any other relationship. Her "little girl" part of self wanted to be unconditionally loved and protected - she anxiously desired "safety" above all else. I believe we lasted as long as we did because I helped her feel safe.

Her "teenage" self was her part of self that was borderline. It was this "part of self" that I met - she pursued me, idealized me, was very sexual, impulsive, etc. Later in the r/s this part of self came back - angry, unhappy and avoidant. She complained that she felt controlled, talked down to, and wanted her freedom. Unfortunately, that "freedom" included sleeping with other people during our relationship.

Other times her "adult" part of self was in the lead and wanted to make our relationship work in a healthy way. It was this part of self that could admit that there was something wrong with the way she functioned in relationships. Her "little girl" self didn't really have the ability to analyze our relationship at all. Her "teenage" self blamed everything in the relationship on me.

To say that the way she switched to different parts of self was confusing to me would be the understatement of the millennia. I didn't really understand it all until months after the break up.

So, to answer your question:  sometimes my ex was very grateful for the things I did for her, but at other times the things I did made her feel oppressed and controlled, while at other times she understood that, in an adult relationship, it was a "team" approach and I might contribute and help in some areas, while she would help and contribute in others, and it all worked together for the good of the "team." In the end, how she felt depended upon who was in the "lead."  I finally came to understand that the real problem was that none of her "parts of self" communicated with one another very well, so I think her shifting feelings and beliefs were perplexing even to her.

I don't know if any of this is the case for your ex, however. I bounced back and forth between trying to figure out if she was "dissociative" or "BPD" until my therapist explained that it's not uncommon for only one "part of self" to be BPD. Many things began to fall into place for me after that. Nothing I read up to that point ever described someone in this way.

It's all very sad. I loved her very much but the infidelity broke my heart.  It was the final straw for me, even though I didn't want it to be. It changed everything.

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=279103.msg12640359#msg12640359
GoingBack2OC

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 08:31:33 PM »

My ex exhibited the behavior of a schizoid. Which in some ways is like having more than one personality. I said to her I felt she was a light switch, because something could happen, and I was no longer dealing with the same person. A shift would occur.

Also, she had a tendency, whether or not she was lying who knows (she was a big time liar), that she would say "I didnt say that".

I have a great memory... .to the point where I can remember things word for word. Yes she did say that. So I always wondered... .was there a disconnect between exGF personality 1 and exGF personallity 2?  And perhaps "she" didnt say that-- my other exGF/personality did.

Confused108

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 09:29:43 PM »

That's what I said. With MPD there is one base personality and then any number of split offs. But these split offs are in essence like different people. Different clothes, different behaviour, different voices, they have different names, and can present themselves as being of completely different ages or genders.

A pwBPD not remembering speaking to you is a defense mechanism. A PwBPD's behaviour can be different from one minute to the next. My ex actually looked different in pictures depending on his moods. Yes, a pwBPD for a NON can FEELING like there is more than one person. No wonder. Their personality is not complete.

But a pwBPD does not take on another personality that goes by a different name, thinks he/she has a different age or gender and dresses completely differently and that has no clue who you are because they were another personality when they met you.

ok first of all I never said my ex did any of those things you just mentioned! My example of dressing different etc was my neighbor when I was younger. And I am very aware of the fact that both are personality disorders. Thank You. I am going by what I was told by a Mental Health professional! Just because a book is black doesn't mean it really is. Damn I was told ppl were getting Misdiagnosed for bipolar when it really was BPD to begin with. I stand firm on what I think. These individuals not all maybe some exhibit this type of behavior. Call it what you want . At the end of the day it really just boils down to they are very sick people who destroy the people around them.

Confused108

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 09:45:30 PM »

Found this online. Very interesting!

The signs and symptom of dissociative identity disorder (DID) vary depending on the individual. What drives them, however, is severe episodes of dissociation that manifest as multiple personalities brought about by severe, persistent periods of childhood trauma or neglect.

Even though there are many DID symptoms and signs, it is still very difficult to diagnose DID. It is estimated that people with dissociative disorders spend, on average, seven years in the mental health system before receiving an accurate diagnosis. This is because many of the DID symptoms people seek help for are similar to those seen in other mental health disorders such as depression, schizophrenia and anxiety. In fact, some of these disorders may co-occur with dissociative identity disorder.

Symptoms of Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID)

Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID) DSM-5 CriteriaThe official symptoms of dissociative identity disorder have been most recently defined by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition. The following are the diagnostic symptoms of DID:

Two or more distinct personalities exist in one individual; one personality is always present (Understanding Dissociative Identity Disorder Alters)

Dissociative amnesia including gaps in the recall of important personal information and everyday events

Severe distress and impairment in functioning because of the disorder

The disturbance is not part of normal cultural or religious practices

The disturbance can't be explained but substance use or another medical condition

You can read these real dissociative identity disorder stories and watch videos to understand the effect of DID symptoms.

Signs of Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID)

While the official DID symptom list is short, the signs of DID are numerous. Dissociative behavior is divided into two categories: detachment and compartmentalization. Detachment is "a voluntary or involuntary feeling or emotion that accompanies a sense of separation from normal associations or environment" while compartmentalization is "solation" or splitting off of part of the personality or mind with lack of communication and consistency between the parts."

People with DID often also suffer from borderline personality disorder characteristics, somatization disorder (physical symptoms without cause), major depression, posttraumatic stress disorder and suicide attempts.

The signs of dissociative identity disorder include a number of characteristics regarding the multiple personalities including:

Personalities are discrepant (disagreeing) and often opposite.

Each personality is well-ingrained with its own memories, behavioral patterns and social relationships that govern its behavior.

Transition from one personality to another is often sudden and brought on by stress.

www.healthyplace.com/abuse/dissociative-identity-disorder/dissociative-identity-disorder-did-signs-and-symptoms/

WoundedBibi

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 02:21:19 AM »

ok first of all I never said my ex did any of those things you just mentioned! My example of dressing different etc was my neighbor when I was younger. And I am very aware of the fact that both are personality disorders. Thank You. I am going by what I was told by a Mental Health professional! Just because a book is black doesn't mean it really is. Damn I was told ppl were getting Misdiagnosed for bipolar when it really was BPD to begin with. I stand firm on what I think. These individuals not all maybe some exhibit this type of behavior. Call it what you want . At the end of the day it really just boils down to they are very sick people who destroy the people around them.

I never said your ex did any of those things. I said exactly the same you did about MPD (dress, voice etc) as examples why the two disorders (MPD and BPD) are separate disorders.

Exactly. In the end it doesn't matter what label we try to give them. Our healing is about us not about them so it doesn't matter what mental illness they have.
Confused108

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2016, 10:10:14 AM »

Exactley! In the end it really just boils down to they are very very mentally ill. And it's very unfortunate that  (we) meet up with these types of ppl. They just continue on with their trail of destruction . How many lives they ruin in the aftermath is remarkable.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest