Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 20, 2024, 10:17:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Poll
Question: How would you rate a mentor presenting in this style?
Execllent
Good
Fair
Poor

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Terrific post about cluster B personalities  (Read 1353 times)
HarleypsychRN

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: May 22, 2016, 04:48:51 PM »

Terrific post. I owe this board, the poster, and my therapist, Dr Christina Jennsen my sanity. Although the poster specializes in Narcissism, he does some great work with surviving BPD relationships as well. We all know most BPDs are Narcissistic, don't we... .
jhkbuzz

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 04:56:35 PM »

We all know most BPDs are Narcissistic, don't we... .

Not true in the least. Sometimes BPD and NPD are comorbid, but not always.
JohnLove

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 05:03:10 PM »

My understanding is BPD always contains a narcissistic component... .by definition.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 09:14:18 PM »

the advice in the graphic has little to do with BPD - im not sure who or what it has to do with except "innard sucking spiders".

what did you take from it HarleypsychRN? how does it apply to you and your relationship?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
jhkbuzz

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 09:16:17 PM »

My understanding is BPD always contains a narcissistic component... .by definition.

Not at all
Invictus01

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 09:48:15 PM »

The only useful advice here is to walk away. That I agree with. Everything else mentioned there ins't needed if you just walk away.
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 10:45:23 AM »

Stand before your divorce recovery support group and read something like this aloud and then look at the faces in the room. People will probably chat afterwards and say  "he (she) doesn't have the skills to process her loss". I'm not sure this meme is one to share.

Isn't the biggest part of all of this (from a relationship partner's perspective) extreme selfishness -  a partner who puts their needs and wants and emotions above ours. Is that lost here?

On a philosophical side, I think imagery and metaphors are great if they make hard concepts easier to understands. Passages like this seem to make easy concepts more complicated, more nefarious, with the purpose of justifying how hurt we feel. Is that helpful?

My ex seriously hurt me. It took weeks to get back to baseline. This type of thing, I believe, fuels a longer return to baseline. If we are going to indulge it, its not the worse thing, but we certainly don't want to indulge for too long or see it as anything more than venting off that huge ball of hurt we first experience.

Lastly, your common spiders doesn't slowly suck away at innards of anything, lest not a human - they kill their prey and once dead, cover it with their own digestive enzymes to break it down -  process similar to what happens in a human stomach - and then ingest the dissolved prey.

sweetheart

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married, together 11 years. Not living together since June 2017, but still in a relationship.

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 11:10:43 AM »

Hi
What is written in the poster bears no resemblance to what happened in my relationship with my husband, apart from the eventual realisation that I couldn't fix him with love or anything else I tried with. It doesn't really relate to what BPD is in my understanding or experience.

For me it has been important not to demonise my husband, and make him the bad guy in all that has happened.
Of course I have felt and feel angry and upset, bereft and raging at all that has happened, but that belongs to me and is about me. Not doing these things enabled me to emotionally disengage much quicker.

I have always found it important for my ongoing emotional well-being to see my husband always before me as a man, a very, very ill one who has a devastating mental illness.

JQ

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 03:25:22 PM »

Hello HarleyRN,

To the group,

The DSM 5 classifications list ten types of personality disorder, two of which are “Borderline personality disorder” and “Narcissistic personality disorder”. The common descriptions make them appear to be quite distinct:

Borderline personality disorder: Unpredictable, manipulative, unstable. Frantically fears abandonment and isolation. Experiences rapidly fluctuating moods. Shifts rapidly between loving and hating. Sees self and others alternatively as all-good and all-bad. Unstable and frequently changing moods. People with borderline personality disorder has a persuasive pattern of instability in interpersonal relationships.[27]

Narcissistic personality disorder: Egotistical, arrogant, grandiose, insouciant. Preoccupied with fantasies of success, beauty, or achievement. Sees self as admirable and superior, and therefore entitled to special treatment. is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance and a deep need for admiration. Those with narcissistic personality disorder believe that they’re superior to others and have little regard for other people’s feelings.

Similarities

Both of these disorders are the result of an incompletely formed sense of self. This results from poor or incomplete individuation. Healthy and secure separation from parents or caregivers means coming to see oneself as an independent being. The crucial time for this phase of development is thought to be around 18 months to 3 years (which coincides, quite logically, with the terrible twos).

Both narcissists and borderlines grow up needing to define themselves in terms of other people in order to feel viable. The narcissist constructs a facade or false self built on feeling and being seen as better than others. The narcissist depends on others to affirm his or her specialness and seeks out people and situations that support this illusion. The borderline attaches to another person who may be seen as a potential of savior. The other person is necessary in order for the borderline to feel safe from abandonment and to fill a void.

Both narcissists and borderlines lack the self-awareness of an “observing ego”. That is they have difficulty reflecting on what they feel or need or want and are likely to be dishonest, avoidant or manipulative rather than clear and assertive. They act from an incomplete sense of agency or efficacy and may be impulsive and unpredictable.

Underlying both personality disorders is the potential for a complete meltdown in the face of any major challenge to their fragile adjustment. Under serious stress, both types decompensate and can become essentially non-functional.

With the deflated Narcissist this can take the form of extreme rage, suicidal despair or sociopathic acting out or some combination of these. This is the disgraced tycoon or the politician with a secret fetish. The severely decompensated borderline becomes emotional and self destructive to the point that he or she may appear to be psychotic. This is the person who finds out they have devoted their life to a sham or that their hero has feet of clay. The flimsy sense of self has disintegrated leaving a feeling of anihilation and an inability to cope.

In a milder form these are normal responses to adversity or victimization. And certainly they can be responses to acute trauma situations in people with no pre-existing issues.

Does your respective BPD have or had the following behavior ... .

Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

Is often envious of others or believes others are envious of him or her

Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes
Arrogance is another defense mechanism that keeps the legend in his or her own mind, free from the stain of the imperfection of other human beings. split, seeing themselves and others in black and white. They requires excessive admiration.

Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love. Believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

Bullet: comment directed to __ (click to insert in post) the group,

According to the largest study ever conducted on personality disorders (PD) by the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH), 5.9% of the U.S. population has BPD (Grant et al. 2008) and 6.2% has NPD (Stinson et al. 2008). As some people fit both diagnoses, about 10 percent of the U.S. population has BPD and/or NPD.

The post that HarleyRN put out for others to read is her personal expression of her own BPD experience. NO meme regardless of the subject should be taken for gospel at face value, it's a meme.  Enclosed in part is the behavior of BOTH Narcissist & Borderline Disorders separately ... .as you can see they can and in fact do cross over to both PD. And as science, many Ph.d's & mental health experts agree these two PD can inhabit the brain at the same time of someone who suffers from the Cluster B Mental Illness. In addition those who suffer either one of these PD can & in fact do have in some cases have other PD's "Comorbidity", sometimes more than 2 at a time.

The meme is not "advice" but a statement. The only part that could be considered "advice" is "The only way to win is not to play".  Some of those in the group can certainly relate to what is said in some of the lines. Such as the "Spider" comment, there are some in the group that do & will sacrifice themselves to an unhealthy level in order to show their respective BPD / pw/PD that they are there no matter what happens between them. There are some NON's that will give more than 51% of themselves to a BPD r/s and once you go down that path and it can lead to nothing good for the NON. So to some in groups the spider analogy is spot on. To others it is not ... .for HarleyRN she could relate to it so does that make it wrong for her to feel that way? It appears that in this short statement & meme that she is personally attacked for expressing in a very simple way how she personally felt in some way, shape or form to the group.

I for one can understand how she can express those feelings ... .I might or might not agree with all or part of her statement but that nevertheless does NOT make it less valuable to the group.

Thank you for sharing your meme & post HarleyRN ... .

J

BorisAcusio

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 07:55:12 AM »

Not at all

Excerpt
Miller and colleagues (2010) suggested that the nomological networks of vulnerable narcissism and borderline PD are so highly overlapping that one could question whether they represent distinct constructs.
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 09:22:33 AM »

We all know most BPDs are Narcissistic, don't we... .

Not at all

Miller and colleagues (2010) suggested that the nomological networks of vulnerable narcissism and borderline PD are so highly overlapping that one could question whether they represent distinct constructs.

Fact checking the above:

1. BPD and NPD are different disorders in the DSM. The most useful feature in discriminating narcissistic personality disorder from histrionic, antisocial, and borderline personality disorders, in which the interactive styles are coquettish, callous, and needy, respectively, is the grandiosity characteristic of narcissistic personality disorder. The relative stability of self-image as well as the relative lack of self-destructiveness, impulsivity, and abandonment concerns also help distinguish narcissistic personality disorder from borderline personality disorder.
https://bpdfamily.com/content/narcissistic-personality-disorder

2.  If an individual has personality features that meet criteria for one or more personality disorders in addition to borderline personality disorder, all can be diagnosed.

In a 2008 study, the comorbidity of BPD with another personality disorder was very high at 74% (77% for men, 72% for women).  They attempted to fix this is the DSM-5.0 (2013) but the solution was tabled and will be studied further.

Comorbid w/BPD--------------
 Paranoid
 Schizoid
 Schizotypal
 Antisocial
 Histrionic
 Narcissistic
 Avoidant
 Dependent
 OCD
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18638642
Men-----------
 17%
 11%
 39%
 19%
 10%
 47%
 11%
  2%
  2%
Women-------
 25%
 14%
 35%
  9%
 10%
 32%
 16%
  4%
 24%

3. I think the Miller and colleagues study is not suggesting that BPD and NPD are the same. Rather, when they looked at the  “Dark Triad” comprising the following related personality styles: narcissism, psychopathy, and Machiavellianism, they noted that a subset of NPD (the vulnerable NPDs) had more in common with BPD than psychopathy, and Machiavellianism. This does not suggest that they possess the self-destructiveness, impulsivity, and abandonment concerns of BPD.

The DSM 5 committee dropped NPD (and kept BPD and ASPD) in the early DSM drafts because they did not see it as being a useful category - it was inserted back in at the very late stages of the draft.

Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 10:55:08 AM »

I do not object to Harley posting this or having a personal opinion that matches the one in the meme.

I do have an issue with HarleypsychRNs use of the word "we".  The use of the word we implies a group consensus that does not exist on this site.  Additionally the use of the word we seems to be a way of distancing oneself from the issue.  This may sound trivial to some, but (!) there is a big difference in terms of self awareness when one uses the word "I" as opposed to "we".  Ask any decent psych professional.

If this board is to be a more advanced board which includes working on a deeper level of self, such memes serve no real purpose, and the use of the word we needs to be changed to reflect the advanced level of healing that should be present when posting on this board. 

Just IMO of course. 

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Circle

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 12:55:10 AM »

Don't you love it when everyone decides as a group that you are wrong?
I can see some truth in the meme.
And, I'm not going to debate it, after this post.
I can't see the children I was close to for 4 years.
The child that I was with when taking their first step.
Because, it's true; everything is a game to my dxBPDso.
I can't trust that person in the slightest.
"The end game is victory no matter who it hurts or how much destruction and pain that victory costs others."
And, for me, and the kids, who love me, it means we are not allowed to see each other anymore.
My dxBPDso considers that a victory.
And, it is filled with destruction.
So, I do see some truth in it.
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 08:50:42 AM »

I can't see the children I was close to for 4 years.
The child that I was with when taking their first step.

Circle, why not open a thread on this advanced board? I haven't seen a good discussion of this topic here.

I had a critical role in raising two teens from 12 to college.

Let's talk about it at a level higher than "victory and loss."

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest